The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-13 14:06:51

steve_v

(Unattended-upgrades) Apparently I'm running Debian... Again.

Okay, let's install unattended-upgrades for a new-old headless Devuan box... This should just-work like it has for the last 20 years on Debian, right?

# apt install unattended-upgrades
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  python3-distro-info
Suggested packages:
  bsd-mailx default-mta | mail-transport-agent needrestart
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  python3-distro-info unattended-upgrades
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 86.9 kB of archives.
After this operation, 339 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
Get:1 http://deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf/main i386 python3-distro-info all 0.21 [7,896 B]
Get:2 http://deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf/main i386 unattended-upgrades all 1.11.2 [79.0 kB]
Fetched 86.9 kB in 4s (21.9 kB/s)              
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package python3-distro-info.
(Reading database ... 49149 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../python3-distro-info_0.21_all.deb ...
Unpacking python3-distro-info (0.21) ...
Selecting previously unselected package unattended-upgrades.
Preparing to unpack .../unattended-upgrades_1.11.2_all.deb ...
Unpacking unattended-upgrades (1.11.2) ...
Setting up python3-distro-info (0.21) ...
Setting up unattended-upgrades (1.11.2) ...

Creating config file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades with new version
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...

And fire those updates to make sure it works...

# unattended-upgrades -d
Initial blacklist : 
Initial whitelist: 
Starting unattended upgrades script
Allowed origins are: origin=Debian,codename=beowulf,label=Debian, origin=Debian,codename=beowulf,label=Debian-Security
Using (^linux-image-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^linux-headers-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^linux-image-extra-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^linux-modules-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^linux-modules-extra-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^linux-signed-image-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^linux-image-unsigned-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^kfreebsd-image-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^kfreebsd-headers-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^gnumach-image-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^.*-modules-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^.*-kernel-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^linux-backports-modules-.*-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^linux-modules-.*-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^linux-tools-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^linux-cloud-tools-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^linux-buildinfo-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*|^linux-source-[0-9]+\.[0-9\.]+-.*) regexp to find kernel packages
Using (^linux-image-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^linux-headers-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^linux-image-extra-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^linux-modules-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^linux-modules-extra-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^linux-signed-image-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^linux-image-unsigned-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^kfreebsd-image-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^kfreebsd-headers-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^gnumach-image-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^.*-modules-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^.*-kernel-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^linux-backports-modules-.*-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^linux-modules-.*-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^linux-tools-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^linux-cloud-tools-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^linux-buildinfo-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$|^linux-source-4\.19\.0\-14\-686$) regexp to find running kernel packages
pkgs that look like they should be upgraded: 
Fetched 0 B in 0s (0 B/s)                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
fetch.run() result: 0
blacklist: []
whitelist: []
No packages found that can be upgraded unattended and no pending auto-removals
Extracting content from /var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades-dpkg.log since 2021-03-14 02:24:59

Huh. That's odd, I was expecting some updates...

Wait, what? Debian beowulf?

Oh look:

# grep -i devuan /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades

*crickets*

# grep -i debian /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades     
//     site          (eg, "http.debian.net")
// derived from /etc/debian_version:
root@mpdsrv:/etc/apt/apt.conf.d# grep -i debian /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades 
//   l,label         (eg, "Debian", "Debian-Security")
//   o,origin        (eg, "Debian", "Unofficial Multimedia Packages")
//     site          (eg, "http.debian.net")
// derived from /etc/debian_version:
        // but the Debian release itself will not be automatically upgraded.
//      "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename}-updates";
//      "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename}-proposed-updates";
        "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename},label=Debian";
        "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename},label=Debian-Security";
//      "o=Debian,a=stable";
//      "o=Debian,a=stable-updates";
//      "o=Debian,a=proposed-updates";
//      "o=Debian Backports,a=${distro_codename}-backports,l=Debian Backports";

Ahh. I see. This again.

Look, I realise it's a small team and all that, but can we please at least try to get the name of the distro right?
A bootloader that still says "Debian" is kind of embarrassing, but harmless. Borking things like unattended-upgrades is going to get someone pwned.

Best of all, according to the bugtracker this was supposedly fixed in 2017. Yet here it is again.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#2 2021-03-13 14:35:59

dice
Website

Re: (Unattended-upgrades) Apparently I'm running Debian... Again.

I have never used unattended upgrades. Could the devuan 3.1 release notes shed a bit more light on this issue?

Changing the ID of the operating system.

- This point-release (3.1.0) fixes a bug in the last release that
   showed "Debian" in the boot menu instead of "Devuan".

If you need the system to identify itself as Debian, you can edit
   /etc/os-release to show ID=debian. This may be needed for third-party
   software that expects to see debian.

https://files.devuan.org/devuan_beowulf … _notes.txt

Do good things.  Share.  Be helpful.  Be decent.  Live large.
E.V.I.L = Electronic Virtual Intelligent Life

#3 2021-03-13 16:40:59

steve_v

dice wrote:

I have never used unattended upgrades.

How many headless boxes do you administer? If you don't like needing to ssh into each one to apply updates, and want your machines to keep themselves up to date, mail you with results and schedule their own reboots for when there are no users logged in, unattended-upgrades is for you.

It's been in main at least as far back as etch, so it's not exactly exotic and I'm fairly confident I'm not the only one using it.

dice wrote:

Could the devuan 3.1 release notes shed a bit more light on this issue?

It sheds light on the grub menu problem, but this being a new (post point-release) install it already has that fix.

PRETTY_NAME="Devuan GNU/Linux 3 (beowulf)"
NAME="Devuan GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="3"
VERSION="3 (beowulf)"
VERSION_CODENAME=beowulf
ID=devuan
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.devuan.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://devuan.org/os/community"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.devuan.org/"

This is another problem of the same class all right though, i.e. rolling debian packages into the repos without checking them for debianisms.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#4 2021-03-13 16:55:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

steve_v wrote:

rolling debian packages into the repos without checking them for debianisms.

That's not how it works: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=3192

So you do understand how to make unattended-upgrades work then? I think the community would appreciate a quick HowTo thread in the Freedom Hacks section more than this pointless rant.

Black Lives Matter

#5 2021-03-13 18:53:36

steve_v

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

That's not how it works

Yes yes, perhaps I should have said "let the automation pull packages from Debian without checking them for functionality on Devuan." The result is the same.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

So you do understand how to make unattended-upgrades work then?

Anyone who has a passing familiarity with sed can make unattended-upgrades work. Perhaps somebody should teach amprolla the same trick.
Likewise anyone who can search a bugtracker can realise that pulling down such packages from Debian without any squishy eyeballs on them is going to reintroduce bugs just like this one.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I think the community would appreciate a quick HowTo thread in the Freedom Hacks section

Frankly I suspect what the community would appreciate even more would be a little look into where that fix committed 4 years ago wandered off to in the first place.

On a completely off-topic note, you're extremely unlikely to see me in the "Freedom Hacks" sub, ever. The pretentious name alone is enough to keep me away.

Last edited by steve_v (2021-03-13 18:54:42)

#6 2021-03-14 10:24:24

dice
Website

steve_v wrote:
dice wrote:

I have never used unattended upgrades.

How many headless boxes do you administer? If you don't like needing to ssh into each one to apply updates, and want your machines to keep themselves up to date, mail you with results and schedule their own reboots for when there are no users logged in, unattended-upgrades is for you.

It's been in main at least as far back as etch, so it's not exactly exotic and I'm fairly confident I'm not the only one using it.

I dont run any headless boxes. But it sounds like a good idea if you have a network of many systems you need to look after. Sorry i couldnt be of any help. Maybe file a bug report again ??

Do good things.  Share.  Be helpful.  Be decent.  Live large.
E.V.I.L = Electronic Virtual Intelligent Life

#7 2021-03-15 08:59:56

steve_v

dice wrote:

Sorry i couldnt be of any help.

No worries, and no apology needed. This was more a "(loudly) bring it to somebody's attention that this stuff is slipping through again" than a "how do I fix it". Fixing it is easy, it's the "making sure 'debian' doesn't keep slipping into our default configs and breaking things" bit that I'm after.

dice wrote:

Maybe file a bug report again ??

Yeah, I'll get to that just as soon as I get around to figuring out how to report bugs... Round tuits are in short supply right now.

Last edited by steve_v (2021-03-15 09:02:36)

#8 2021-03-15 10:45:34

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

The steps for a bug report are almost as simple as your fixing of that file:

1. find out which package is concerned (unattended-upgrades)

2. find out which version of that package you'r using (1.11.2)

3. send an email to submit@devuan.org with a useful subject, and the body starting "formally" with 2 lines:

Package: unattended-upgrades
    Version: 1.11.2

then followed by a polite and useful treatise outlining the issue and preferrably including a patch that resolves it.

In this particular case, the "bug" is lack of maintaner effort to upgrade the fork of unattended-upgrades. Therefore beowulf got committed with the debian package version.

Your patch will go part of the way towards upgrading the forked package, which also needs any other changes since the last fork version, 0.93.1+vua2.0, including any adaption to the current package building pipline.

As it happens, the maintainer role for that forked package is currently vacant.

Board footer