The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-19 20:37:30

recklessswing

wicd broke when I changed unstable from stable, how do I install NM?

Hi guys, I gotta say it's most likely wicd bug, I'll probably have to install networkmanager, I had problems with connman too before, in different systemd free distros.

So, I changed to unstable from testing. You know, changing the >apt>sources.list file. But I only changed two entries to ceres.

I only changed 2 entries, one in packages the other in sources:

deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ceres main

And the other one was like this, I didn't touch security and updates ones.

Then I run updates. After the restart, the wicd was gone. Even run application couldn't find it.

Now I don't even have internet either I cannot connect. How to connect to internet without wicd?

#2 2020-12-19 20:48:35

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: wicd broke when I changed unstable from stable, how do I install NM?

Yes, wicd has been dropped for testing/unstable.

recklessswing wrote:

I didn't touch security and updates ones

There's no point having the beowulf security & -updates repositories in a ceres system because the package versions will all be older and so APT will just ignore them. For ceres only a single line is needed.

recklessswing wrote:

How to connect to internet without wicd?

For an ethernet connection just bring up the interface and assign some addresses, for example:

# ip link set eth0 up
# dhclient eth0

For wireless first generate a wpa_supplicant configuration file (replace $ssid with the name of the access point and replace $password with the actual password):

# wpa_passphrase $ssid $password > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Then bring the interface up, associate with the access point and assign some addresses:

# ip link set wlan0 up
# wpa_supplicant -B -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlan0
# dhclient wlan0

Alternatively use ifupdown by editing /etc/network/interfaces:

https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfigur … _Interface

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#W … d_WPA2-PSK

The latter method will let you drop wicd & NetworkManager entirely. They're both bloat anyway.

EDIT: I prefer iwctl for wireless connections, that's available in ceres (the iwd package) and it's very easy to use.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2020-12-19 20:50:23)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2020-12-19 20:51:32

recklessswing

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

The latter method will let you drop wicd & NetworkManager entirely. They're both bloat anyway.

Wait. What if I reinstall, then remove wicd and install networkmanager, then update? How do you install networkmanager properly? I can't find any wiki about that. And I need to add it to sysvinit aswell?

Last edited by recklessswing (2020-12-19 21:02:51)

#4 2020-12-19 21:01:11

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Please don't full quote unnecessarily, it degrades the readability of the thread.

recklessswing wrote:

What if I reinstall, then remove wicd and install networkmanager, then update?

I suppose. Running four commands would be quicker though.

recklessswing wrote:

How do you install networkmanager properly?

# apt install network-manager{,-gnome}

Not sure if that even works without systemd though. I don't use it myself but I know that it has to be removed in Debian buster if you want to use sysvinit, OpenRC or runit-init instead of systemd.

recklessswing wrote:

I need to add it to sysvinit aswell?

I don't think so, debhelper should do that for you. If it doesn't then file a bug with Debian (after reproducing the problem in a Debian system).

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#5 2020-12-19 23:14:12

Marjorie

recklessswing wrote:

How do you install networkmanager properly?

# apt install network-manager{,-gnome}
head_on_a_stick wrote:

Not sure if that even works without systemd though. I don't use it myself but I know that it has to be removed in Debian buster if you want to use sysvinit, OpenRC or runit-init instead of systemd.

recklessswing wrote:

I need to add it to sysvinit as well?

head_on_a_stick wrote:

I don't think so, debhelper should do that for you. If it doesn't then file a bug with Debian (after reproducing the problem in a Debian system).

FWIW Network Manager comes as default and works fine in a Beowulf + sysvinit + Cinnamon system i.e without systemd.

Last edited by Marjorie (2020-12-19 23:14:30)

#6 2020-12-20 06:18:41

Sawyer

The advice Head_On_A_Stick has given is a desktop linux users' gem.  Follow up on those commands.  wpa_supplicant and wpa_passphrase are basically a network manager. The other commands turn on, setup, and give info for your wireless card. 
  The ip command is powerful.    ip link show wlan0   
  Also wpa_cli is another helpful utility.    wpa_cli list_networks 
  Dhclient command will work and it sits in background.  You may need to restart your network(or computer) if things get confusing, then go back at it.

That knowledge is everything you need to know! study the ENTIRE post for not needing dependence on a broken network manager(gui).

"The season of failure is the best time for sowing the seeds of success.", P.Y.

Last edited by Sawyer (2021-01-03 06:16:52)

#7 2020-12-20 17:01:35

Andre4freedom

Just my tiny hint: Devuan ASCII and Beowulf both work perfectly well with OpenRC and Network-Manager, as with SysV-Init. Never had a problem with nm on Devuan.

#8 2020-12-23 21:20:10

EDX-0

if you do a netinstall right before you install the init you can chroot into the new system, there you can install network manager, then after reboot if you went for sysvinit you can install runit, after that you can modify sources.list to point to chimaera or ceres, it is better to do a minimal install (no graphical anything) before upgrading to chimaera or ceres

Board footer