The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-06 04:11:18

Roger
Website

How to download alternate kernels

Forgive my ignorance, but I am having trouble persuading dpkg or apt to download an updated kernel for testing. I simply want to get the beowulf version without changing my sources.list and having apt then want to upgrade everything else. There must be a simple command to download a specific *.deb file from the repository. What is it?

#2 2020-03-06 05:17:08

ToxicExMachina

Re: How to download alternate kernels

Two simple steps:

1. First, you have to add a new repository config into /etc/apt/sources.list.d so you don't need to modify sources.list at all. This is very easy way to add new repository as a separated config.
2. According to "man apt-get" you can use the following command:

apt-get -t beowulf --download-only install package_name

Another ways:

1) You can use custom config for apt-get. The command line key is "-c". In this the config where you can specify configuration files like another sources.list. I think in this case it's inefficient way but it may be a good one for some situations.
2) There is a tool called aptly. You can even mirror a subset of repository with it.
3) Go to any Devuan mirror via web browser and download package manually.

#3 2020-03-06 23:29:38

Roger
Website

Re: How to download alternate kernels

Thanks very much. What I was missing was that one can control which parts of sources.list are used with entries in an
/etc/apt/preferences file, and that those preferences can be overridden by a -t flag to apt-get. Of course one also has to run apt-get update to get access to sections added to sources.list

I can now install selected items from the beowulf release into a system running ascii. In principle I am happy to stay with the current stable release, but I am planning for a possible problem with outdated device drivers installing Devuan onto a new computer. I have had problems like that before with ethernet and video. That was several releases ago, and Linux seems much better these days in being up to date with hardware.

Board footer