The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-11 05:33:34

coyote

Install systemd on devuan or switching to dev1 from slackware

Hello guys. No, i don't want to install systemd on devuan. I want to install devuan, but i have some questions:
1. Is it easy to maintain .deb packages?
2. Is it stable as slackware?
3. I need last version of minetest. Can i compile it into .deb for me in 1 command as in slackware?

VERSION=0.4.16 sbopkg -i minetest

4. Is there any pawbook for newbies on system tools and package maintaining?
5. Is it easy to serve a small repository on raspberry pi?
Thank you!

#2 2018-01-11 08:27:02

cynwulf

Re: Install systemd on devuan or switching to dev1 from slackware

It would be useful to know why you're switching from Slackware?  You're going to find anything Debian based very different.

To install it as a package, you would have to backport it - and no, that's not quite as simple as sbopkg (which is "automation" for building from slackbuilds), but not exactly rocket science if you're prepared to read some documentation and experiment a bit.

Alternatively you could just get the source and build it and install to /usr/local

#3 2018-01-11 10:12:49

fungus
Website

coyote wrote:

Hello guys. No, i don't want to install systemd on devuan. I want to install devuan, but i have some questions:

So why don't you go back and correct that misleading subject?

415 and 4.16 .deb exist in various debian repositories, and I don't see dependencies being problematic for devuan (not 100% sure) so it is as easy as installing any pkg.
To test this use the live image, maybe try the refracta9-ascii live and install it to see if you have any problems with it.  Install lightdm, your favorite terminal, and openbox, and then install the minetest.  Check your ram use and compare it with slackware.

Refracta9/Devuan 2.beta https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac … s/testing/

Last edited by fungus (2018-01-11 10:31:05)

#4 2018-01-11 15:23:35

cynwulf

The problem with that approach is that the binary is not built for the target system and dependencies have moved on, become obsolete, etc (for that particular package there are quite a few examples).  Generally with any Debian system (or system based on Debian), stable freezes and testing/unstable diverges further and further away.  So you may get away with this early on in a stable release, but it's less likely 12 months later.

You may on occasion be able to install one local package (via dpkg), with few dependencies, which are already satisfied by the installed distribution, but adding another distribution's repositories is a bad idea, as you can end up with half of that distribution installed or worse still find yourself in a situation where an "accidental" (broken) upgrade has occurred.

Even with a good knowledge of apt pinning, setting default release, disabling automatic upgrades, etc, it's still a bad idea, unless you're running a mixed testing/unstable system and know exactly what you're doing.

Last edited by cynwulf (2018-01-11 15:24:17)

#5 2018-01-11 15:39:54

coyote

Installed the system in dualboot (with united kernel). Works great!

Board footer