The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2020-08-24 19:15:47

Vernon

Re: What other distro are you using (besides devuan)?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

EDIT: for a rough example of this compare OpenBSD's grep.c (487 sloc) with GNU's grep.c (2177 sloc).

First, let me say that I have never used any of the BSDs and know very little about them. Although I disagree with the BSD license which allows entities to take BSD code without contributing any changes back, I have the utmost respect for Theo de Raadt who is largely responsible for a tool I use every day - OpenSSH.

I learned of BSD grep performance issues when I wrote a script on my netbook using grep to process a large data set. When I gave the script to an Apple Mac user, I got a complaint of slow performance. This puzzled me because the Apple Mac had a much more powerful CPU than my netbook. Then I came across a thread similar to this one here and it all made sense.

The only reason I can think of to encourage BSD grep  usage over GNU grep is if you are a cloud operator billing by CPU usage smile

Last edited by Vernon (2020-08-24 19:17:58)

#52 2020-08-25 15:16:23

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

OpenBSD is always going to be slower than Linux because the developers prioritise security over features — for example their kernel is still mostly big-locked[0].

Black Lives Matter

#53 2020-09-15 14:49:09

F_Sauce

I have two computers running Devuan and one very old one running SuSE 9.1; the SuSE one is for nostalgic reasons, I was on SuSE for 13 years or so.

#54 2020-09-15 17:10:43

zapper

Hyperbola and thats about it. wink
My Devuan laptop is an x230 thinkpad with intel me disabled and coreboot on it. 
The laptop i using now is a thinkpad x200 with libreboot.  Hyperbola is on it.

Voidlinux is good except for one thing... I don't like that they have a very new kernel.  Also, no linux-libre option. hmm

Devuan at least has that option thanks to jxself.org

Unrelated to devuan, but it is an option. wink

I now use i3-wm for most of my laptops, except the x230 thinkpad which I use xfce4 on.

Board footer