The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-20 10:37:16

matze72
Member
Registered: 2020-06-02
Posts: 4  

Network and other problems after upgrading from ascii to beowulf

After ugrading from ascii to beowulf I came across some problems, for some I could find solutions or workarounds on my own, for some not.

But let's start with the main problem:

1) After the upgrade I did not have internet access any more. It turned out that no dhc clinet is runing. After I added the following lines to /etc/interfaces
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

dhclient is running after booting, but I still have to restart connman with the following command to get access to the internet:
service connman restart
How can I fix this?

2) During booting the boot process stops for some minutes at Starting MTA. Is there a possibility to avoid this?

3) There must be change in the firejail profile file firefox-common.profile that caused problems with my firefox installation. is there a way to download the ascii version of that file to make a comparison?

4) The directory /usr/sbin was not part of the PATH variable any more, at the moment I use the following command as root after boot:
export PATH=/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/sbin/:$PATH
How can I define this permanently?
Do I have to include this in .bashrc in the root home directory or is there a system wide configuration file?

5) After the upgrade I do not have the possibility any more to send the computer into "sleep mode" with obsession-logout, does anybody know a reason for that?
Can this be caused by the upgrade hint to downgrade upower because of a bug (and I followed that hint)

Offline

#2 2020-08-20 11:28:12

Vernon
Member
Registered: 2020-07-19
Posts: 82  

Re: Network and other problems after upgrading from ascii to beowulf

matze72 wrote:

1) After the upgrade I did not have internet access any more. It turned out that no dhc clinet is runing. After I added the following lines to /etc/interfaces
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

dhclient is running after booting, but I still have to restart connman with the following command to get access to the internet:
service connman restart
How can I fix this?

My /etc/network/interfaces file for connman looks like this

 This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Note that  BOTH the contents and the path to your interfaces file are different.

matze72 wrote:

4) The directory /usr/sbin was not part of the PATH variable any more, at the moment I use the following command as root after boot:
export PATH=/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/sbin/:$PATH
How can I define this permanently?
Do I have to include this in .bashrc in the root home directory or is there a system wide configuration file?

No, you need to include a dash after su whenever you want the sbin directories in you PATH.
su -

Offline

#3 2020-08-20 11:39:42

larsH
Member
Registered: 2020-05-05
Posts: 129  

Re: Network and other problems after upgrading from ascii to beowulf

Hi

Hi no. 1 Is connman added to your startup. If not use "update-rc.d connman enable" to add it.

No 4. The behavior of logging in as root has changed. So you have to use "su -" to login with full path. This to prevent the root user to damage the system on purpose. I find this myself a bit stupid. But so be it

Thats what I can help with for now

Have a nice day
Lars H

Offline

#4 2020-08-20 13:18:44

matze72
Member
Registered: 2020-06-02
Posts: 4  

Re: Network and other problems after upgrading from ascii to beowulf

@Vernon:

Sorry the path was a typo, indeed my interface-file is at /etc/network/interfaces.

Do you think the "allow-hotplug" is making the difference, or have you additional files in your interfaces.d-directory?
Mine is empty.

I will try the allow-hotplug.

Thanks,

matze

Offline

#5 2020-08-20 13:31:03

matze72
Member
Registered: 2020-06-02
Posts: 4  

Re: Network and other problems after upgrading from ascii to beowulf

@Lars

I used sysv-rc-conf to define the following:

 
service        1      2     3     4     5      0     6       S
connman       [ ]    [x]   [x]   [x]    [x]   [ ]    [ ]    [ ]

I believe that this should do the same as update-rc.d connman enable, isn't it?

Offline

#6 2020-08-20 13:45:20

Vernon
Member
Registered: 2020-07-19
Posts: 82  

Re: Network and other problems after upgrading from ascii to beowulf

matze72 wrote:

@Vernon:

Sorry the path was a typo, indeed my interface-file is at /etc/network/interfaces.

Do you think the "allow-hotplug" is making the difference, or have you additional files in your interfaces.d-directory?
Mine is empty.

Mine is empty as well.

matze72 wrote:

I will try the allow-hotplug.

I don't know if this will make a difference. I can only say that this is what was in my  /etc/network/interfaces file when I used connman. Note that when I used connman, the boot process would hang until DHCP timeout if I did not have an Ethernet cable plugged in.

Good Luck!

Offline

#7 2020-08-20 13:55:47

larsH
Member
Registered: 2020-05-05
Posts: 129  

Re: Network and other problems after upgrading from ascii to beowulf

Hi

It should. But if you did make a mistake it does not work. FYI My install does not have sysv-rc-conf installed by default. So I am using the old ways to set or delete symlinks (service blabla enable/disable). Is sysv-rc-conf broken in some way in beowulf ??

Have a nice day
Lars H

Offline

#8 2020-08-20 14:18:53

matze72
Member
Registered: 2020-06-02
Posts: 4  

Re: Network and other problems after upgrading from ascii to beowulf

@Vernon

No, allow-hotplug did not make the trick. Nothing changed.
Ethernet cable is also plugged in all the time.



@Lars

I have not the impression that sysv-rc-conf is broken.
And I did this when I still used ascii and did not change it.

I also have the impression that first connman is started and then the networking service, is there an easy way to check this?
I guess it is somewhere in the init scripts at /etc/rc.... , can I just adapt the names to force a different order?

For example change K01connman  to K09connman to make sure that the connam service is started after K07networking is starting the networking service, or can I break something doing so?

Offline

#9 2020-08-20 14:42:25

larsH
Member
Registered: 2020-05-05
Posts: 129  

Re: Network and other problems after upgrading from ascii to beowulf

Hi

Now I am not the most experienced expert in this, as I only using one machine and not trying to fix things that are not broken ;-)). Just tried it once with devuan and a couple of times in gentoo. What I would do was checking services running with "service networking status"  and "service connman status". Then disable them, reboot, and enable them again with network first and connman after that. And I would use "the service blabla enable" command for that. As far I know it is the recommended way to do it (except for manually making the links)

Hope this is to some help ;-))

Have a nice day
Lars H

Offline

#10 2020-08-20 14:43:06

Vernon
Member
Registered: 2020-07-19
Posts: 82  

Re: Network and other problems after upgrading from ascii to beowulf

matze72 wrote:

I also have the impression that first connman is started and then the networking service, is there an easy way to check this?

Do an ls -l1 /etc/rc* | less -S and see if there is a link to a connman startup script. Note that startup script links begin with the letter S whereas shutdown script links begin with the letter K

matze72 wrote:

I guess it is somewhere in the init scripts at /etc/rc.... , can I just adapt the names to force a different order?

For example change K01connman  to K09connman to make sure that the connam service is started after K07networking is starting the networking service, or can I break something doing so?

Yes, but links beginning with the letter K are shutdown scripts.

Last edited by Vernon (2020-08-20 17:45:42)

Offline

#11 2020-08-20 16:55:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 976  
Website

Re: Network and other problems after upgrading from ascii to beowulf

Remove connman and use ifupdown instead, that's the program that uses /etc/network/interfaces. Make sure the networking service is enabled though.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2020-08-20 16:55:54)


Black Lives Matter

Offline

#12 2020-08-20 18:06:22

larsH
Member
Registered: 2020-05-05
Posts: 129  

Re: Network and other problems after upgrading from ascii to beowulf

Hi

Agree with Head_on_a_Stick. ifupdown is what i use myself. But does other know if connman is buggy ??

Have a nice day
Lars H

Offline

Board footer