The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-07-06 11:41:17

Ogis1975
Website

Re: Why Fie?

richmond62 wrote:

1. Ancient installer that looked like a bad DOS knock-off.
Back to Xubuntu.
I expect a modern OS to have a graphic installer and to be able to detect my WiFi card.

Somehow it’s nonsense. Complete nonsense. Most importantly, the installer does his job and does it perfectly. If you want beauties, you can go back to the land of Windows, but do you need it?  I will repeat my self. This installer works great.

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#27 2020-07-06 16:45:58

golinux
Administrator

Tatwi wrote:

When starting the Debian/Devuan normal installer (full or net-install), there is an option for "Graphical Installer", which is functionally identical to the NCurses "DOS knockoff", but it looks prettier. Functionally, this installer is perfectly fine and visually the graphical version is also fine. Every step is clear and well documented and it's not possible to reach the end of the installer without having a working system.

Note that this option is no longer available in Beowulf and probably beyond.

#28 2020-07-07 14:57:21

Tatwi
Website

golinux wrote:
Tatwi wrote:

When starting the Debian/Devuan normal installer (full or net-install), there is an option for "Graphical Installer", which is functionally identical to the NCurses "DOS knockoff", but it looks prettier. Functionally, this installer is perfectly fine and visually the graphical version is also fine. Every step is clear and well documented and it's not possible to reach the end of the installer without having a working system.

Heh, I didn't even notice! smile

I appreciate this choice. The Debian Ncurses installer is better laid out than the Slackware Ncurses installer, making it just a little easier to navigate, but both are fast, functional, and fine even in 2020.

#29 2020-07-08 03:10:35

GlennW

I'm 57yo.

Ascii did have a nice gui installer, cut and paste options with the mouse. I didn't find that with Beowulf.

I've had to wait for after install to setup wifi (05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless-AC 9260 (rev 29)),
but had a full desktop.iso to install plasma from. Thank you.

I hear you, but I find it's well worth the persistence.

still a few things I'm working towards, mostly with sound/usb/apulse. But if I didn't have that I'd have nothing to do. :-)

I'm loving Beowulf.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#30 2020-07-10 19:15:23

steve_v

Tatwi wrote:
golinux wrote:

Neither did I. If I need an installer I'll pick the TUI one every time, and frankly I don't understand what a GUI provides in that context besides a bigger install image and more to go wrong. Starting an X server and all the baggage that entails just to have a pretty installer nuts.

On the OP at hand:
As the patient does not belong to the tap-and-drool selfie-stick demographic, I suspect this is simply a case of classic CLI-o-phobia. For the unfamiliar, a disorder brought on when suppressed memories of CP/M, DOS, the Windows command prompt and other shells designed to torment their users are brought to light, often upon encountering a similar text-interface aesthetic years later.

For this I usually prescribe the LFS treatment, followed by a light regime of Slackware or Gentoo use. Symptoms generally resolve in short order given sufficient exposure to bash/zsh, the GNU utilities and a proper POSIX environment.

Tatwi wrote:

The Debian Ncurses installer is better laid out than the Slackware Ncurses installer, making it just a little easier to navigate, but both are fast, functional, and fine even in 2020.

Indeed. Hell, the Gentoo "installer" is perfectly fine in 2020.

GlennW wrote:

Ascii did have a nice gui installer, cut and paste options with the mouse.

Why would you need copy-paste in the installer anyway?
I mean you can use GPM at the console, but why?

Last edited by steve_v (2020-07-10 19:16:03)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#31 2020-07-10 20:09:36

rolfie

steve_v wrote:
Tatwi wrote:
golinux wrote:

Neither did I. If I need an installer I'll pick the TUI one every time, and frankly I don't understand what a GUI provides in that context besides a bigger install image and more to go wrong. Starting an X server and all the baggage that entails just to have a pretty installer nuts.

I'd like to give you my reason why I would prefer the graphical installer if available: I can copy/paste passwords and encryption keys to make sure they are the same.

And I do not suffer from CLI-o-phobia. I started my PC career exactly with CP/M when I was on university. My theses was written on a CP/M 8085 and printed of with  a I think 9 needle printer.

steve_v wrote:
GlennW wrote:

Ascii did have a nice gui installer, cut and paste options with the mouse.

Why would you need copy-paste in the installer anyway?
I mean you can use GPM at the console, but why?

Well, installation is possible with the CLI installer, and just for avoiding a few keystrokes I never would use the GUI. But see above, that are very valid reasons, especially when you are dealing with 40 or more character long encryptions keys. This makes the difference.

Also love Beowulf, though I had to fight my way through key typos.

rolfie

Last edited by rolfie (2020-07-10 20:15:24)

#32 2020-07-10 23:51:43

GlennW

When partitioning (which I find rather time consuming when the partitions are already set... ) I get an opportunity to set the mount points.

Most of my personal stuff is on other harddrives, so I don't have to risk overwriting my "stuff" by mistakenly formatting the wrong partitions.

So, I have most /home/glenn/"folders" linked from drives mounted in /home/glenn/local/... including .steam.

This actually keeps all of the files I use across 3 installs handy for immediate use after install. I am not paranoid, but I see how this may look.

I may use something like this to speed things up, if I can't do it at install time

This is the place where I use copy and paste during install, but it's just "/home/glenn/local/"...

But I miss it when I can't use it, especially when re-installing over and over in the same few hours because I haven't configured my hd for grub...

cat /home/glenn/bin/partition-mount-points >> /etc/fstab (which came first, the chicken or the egg?)

# added partition mount points to /etc/fstab
# /home/glenn/local/archive was on /dev/sde2 during installation
UUID=6e63d11b-5c17-464b-a24f-37eccf62b8a0 /home/glenn/local/archive ext3    defaults        0       2
# /home/glenn/local/data was on /dev/sdb3 during installation
UUID=b48cda1b-036c-40d9-95ff-11d293575eca /home/glenn/local/data ext3    defaults        0       2
# /home/glenn/local/free was on /dev/sdb6 during installation
UUID=50e5ae79-34ee-4b8d-882c-ec8d035c29d4 /home/glenn/local/free ext4    defaults        0       2
# /home/glenn/local/stuff was on /dev/sde5, changed hdd stuff2media,, 20200404
UUID=3526dd53-54a4-41c4-aa53-d045a31756fb /home/glenn/local/stuff ext3    defaults        0       2
# /home/glenn/local/other was on /dev/sdb2 during installation
UUID=53eacede-f187-4c51-b88f-19acf032c759 /home/glenn/local/other ext4    defaults        0       2
# /home/glenn/local/spare was on /dev/sdb4 during installation
UUID=a36886b2-abab-4e14-a6e0-e28f958a2cee /home/glenn/local/spare ext3    defaults        0       2
# /home/glenn/local/media was on /dev/sdd1 ,changed stuff to media, vis-a-vis, medfia2stuff april 2020
UUID=2ea11d82-8db0-44b0-ae48-4c05a77d6f21 /home/glenn/local/media ext4    defaults        0       2
# /home/glenn/local/videos was on /dev/sde4 during installation
UUID=8336ebbb-f6fa-4f1a-9217-1584c866fe77 /home/glenn/local/videos ext4    defaults        0       2
# /usr/src was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
UUID=9d43068e-4c32-4075-be49-fefeb5f189f7 /usr/src        ext4    defaults        0       2
# swap was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
UUID=b9482d32-3479-41c7-886a-214d22742741 none            swap    sw              0       0

then I can link my personal files...

link documents and files.sh

#!/bin/bash
# link documents and files

ln -s /home/glenn/local/data/bin /home/glenn/
ln -s /home/glenn/local/data/build /home/glenn/
ln -s /home/glenn/local/data/Documents /home/glenn/
ln -s /home/glenn/local/data/Movies /home/glenn/
ln -s /home/glenn/local/data/Music /home/glenn/
ln -s /home/glenn/local/data/My_system /home/glenn/
ln -s /home/glenn/local/data/Pictures /home/glenn/
ln -s /home/glenn/local/data/songs /home/glenn/
ln -s /home/glenn/local/data/Templates /home/glenn/
ln -s /home/glenn/local/data/Videos /home/glenn/

edit, I had 2 steam links in there that were just plain wrong...

I'm a creature of my environment, and once I become accustomed to something, like a tool or a "shortcut",
I find it difficult (or strange) to not use it. I'm lazy too. :-)

Anyhow, I've gone on enough.

I am really loving Beowulf, it's the best OS I have ever used.

I like a full install with KDE, but I have install with only openbox, but using kde apps... :-)

I have xfce4 and cinnamon versions on separate hd's for my adventures and to see what is being created by our Devs.

Thank you, and "I'll keep coming back".

Last edited by GlennW (2020-07-11 05:07:00)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#33 2020-07-11 03:13:06

steve_v

rolfie wrote:

I'd like to give you my reason why I would prefer the graphical installer if available: I can copy/paste passwords and encryption keys to make sure they are the same.

Well, the netinstall image doesn't include any mouse support, which I guess is a shame (but hey, it's tiny)... So some extra keystrokes and/or gratuitous use of cat might be needed.

Both the graphical and minimal live images can install the system with refractainstaller though, and they both have mouse-driven copy-paste, so there's a viable option if you run full disk encryption or something (what else?) that needs input of long strings to the installer.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Board footer