The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-11-28 00:02:04

F_Sauce

Re: Firefox Quantum

I'm not the slightest fond of google; but wanting a browser which integrates well with my KDE4 desktops, and as FF has become increasingly unusable both in this regard (loosing the ability to store passwords in KWallet) and speed-wise, I decided to have a trial of both Pale Moon and Chromium on two different computers; I have to say, though, that Chromium has proved to be a very decent choice, I had much more issues with Pale Moon.
I would appreciate some feedback regarding privacy concerns though; but if Chromium really let you potentially stay incognito, I would absolutely recommend it.

Cheers,
Olav

Last edited by F_Sauce (2017-11-28 00:04:55)

#27 2017-11-28 08:01:38

xunilog

cynwulf wrote:

Pulseaudio support is just the "default", it's still possible to build without it.  You could try pulling down the Debianised source and changing the 'mozconfig' options (build flags):

# Uncomment the following option if you have not installed PulseAudio
#ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
# and uncomment this if you installed alsa-lib instead of PulseAudio
#ac_add_options --enable-alsa

Then remove pulseaudio dependencies from the control file and rebuild the package.  Obviously not tried it myself, but I can't see why it wouldn't work...

That citation within the BLFS wiki is outdated. Given the current codebase, we can expect the --enable-alsa directive will be ignored, and the --disable-pulseaudio will result in no sound support.

Here's another (outdated, will be ignored) as found in the current GNUzilla (icecat) build configuration:
--disable-webrtc
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzil … g-gnulinux

============

Someone mentioned "mozilla... following the Intel model".
Their roadmap (evident if you scour the mozilla wiki) is toward a "membership" or "freemium" model. Users would opt into subscription accounts, to gain benefits of Mozilla-provided: email, oAuth, cloudStorage, sync, groupBuys / specialOffers, antiMalware...

Last edited by xunilog (2017-11-28 08:02:36)

#28 2017-11-28 12:40:48

cynwulf

It still seems to be in use in Gentoo: https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/commit … 00924d6eb7

Do you have a link which shows those options are now removed in 57?

As far as I know, asla-lib support is still usable but no longer actively developed.

Last edited by cynwulf (2017-11-28 12:42:35)

#29 2017-12-11 18:44:44

MiyoLinux

Installed FreeBSD on a spare computer yesterday. Installed Firefox, and it was 57. After I finally figured out how to get my sound working tongue , sound was working on Firefox too. As this is my first experience with FreeBSD, I can't say for sure, but it appears to have only alsa installed. I did several

pkg search

for pulseaudio and related packages, and none were installed.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#30 2017-12-11 20:29:14

golinux
Administrator

FreeBSD might have taken care of the problem.  Did you check for apulse?

#31 2017-12-11 21:43:29

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Installed FreeBSD on a spare computer yesterday. Installed Firefox, and it was 57. After I finally figured out how to get my sound working tongue , sound was working on Firefox too. As this is my first experience with FreeBSD, I can't say for sure, but it appears to have only alsa installed. I did several

pkg search

for pulseaudio and related packages, and none were installed.

Ah-ha!!

Looks like somebody built it to run just alsa.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#32 2017-12-11 22:26:54

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

No ma'am. I did a "pkg search" for pulseaudio, looked at everything listed, and went from there. I would suppose apulse didn't show since the search only turned up packages with "pulseaudio" in the name. However, there was a package called "alsa-plugins-pulseaudio", and it wasn't installed.

I'll check on apulse when I get a chance...it'll be tomorrow though.

greenjeans wrote:

Ah-ha!!

Looks like somebody built it to run just alsa.

Maybe (?), but I can't say for sure since I may not have searched thoroughly enough. tongue LOLOL! Installing FreeBSD reminds me somewhat of an Arch installation. Still much to learn at this point with FreeBSD. I'm getting unusually high CPU usage (even while idle at times), and I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#33 2017-12-12 14:20:50

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

No package named apulse is even available. smile

#34 2017-12-12 21:37:00

fungus
Website

I tried a few BSD variations and then I thought, oh well, if ALL linux finally turns to crap there is something to fall back to.  Scientifically and politically it may be superior. 
After trying 57 for a couple of days I'd rather live with no sound on my pc than have to submit myself to this craziness.  Things are made to work different just so they can appear new!  It is the same old memory hog dressed up as new.  Like Win8 seemed as a different system rather than a continuation and upgrade.  LibreOffice did something similar with 5.0, moved things so much around you had to relearn where simple things were.

I see all of this as wall street invading unix/linux and wall street has some really perverted bed-fellows.
Beware of those corporate Geeks bearing gifts.

#35 2017-12-12 22:35:11

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:
golinux wrote:

Not in Devuan jessie either the last time I checked, maybe it's in ascii?

So, no libpulse0? That's the only thing I have on my system, VLC dragged it in (but doesn't really need it) so I deleted most of it, lol.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#36 2017-12-13 01:56:44

sgage

It is available in the ascii experimental repo.

greenjeans wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:
golinux wrote:

Not in Devuan jessie either the last time I checked, maybe it's in ascii?

So, no libpulse0? That's the only thing I have on my system, VLC dragged it in (but doesn't really need it) so I deleted most of it, lol.

#37 2017-12-13 04:40:18

fungus
Website

There is jessie, ascii, ceres, AND experimental, there is no such thing as ascii experimental.
You must have meant devuan experimental.

#38 2017-12-13 13:21:38

sgage

fungus wrote:

There is jessie, ascii, ceres, AND experimental, there is no such thing as ascii experimental.
You must have meant devuan experimental.

That is what I meant.

#39 2017-12-23 01:18:29

MiyoLinux

I forgot to report back...

FreeBSD uses OSS for sound.

Board footer