The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-11-12 09:43:07

ToxicExMachina

Re: The dev1galaxy.org (almost) No Code of Conduct

freemedia2018 wrote:

long term i think such a fork is inevitable, but social problems often require cultural solutions. technical solutions can help, though a lot of people put much more stock in them than is reasonable-- for example, the way that facebook and twitter connect the world "like never before" helps things like the arab spring, but are showing their limitations (censorship) and costs (surveillance) as well. there has to be some cultural shift, people who show apathy wont be rescued by all the technological marvels in the world.

Technology is a part of human culture. There are both right and wrong ways of technology usage. Suitability for here and now doesn't mean right way. Actual social media format (facebook/twitter/etc.) is the example of the wrong way. People just don't know that the world communication is not a merit of such social media.

General mechanism (primitive description):
1. Make an illusion.
2. When some critical mass of people believe the illusion is real allow them to force others to live according the laws of the illusion.
3. Transform the illusion laws into real ones.

In case of facebook:
1. Advertise social media service and let people use it as the only and one way of communication.
2. A lot of people use this service. Others have to use it too to communicate with them.
3. "What? No facebook? Are you sociopath? You MUST create your own facebook account!", "We won't hire you because you have no facebook account. It's our company policy.", "I don't care about other sites - I've got everything in facebook!", etc.

#52 2019-11-12 13:30:27

freemedia2018

Re: The dev1galaxy.org (almost) No Code of Conduct

ToxicExMachina wrote:

Technology is a part of human culture.

There are both right and wrong ways of technology usage.

Suitability for here and now doesn't mean right way.

agreed.

separated into three points to clarify agreement with each.

monopolies are able to change free software so it better serves their freedom than ours.

why is that so difficult to prove to many free software advocates, and what is it that stops them from caring?

Board footer