The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 Re: Devuan » Why are systemd files present in Devuan? » 2021-03-01 12:32:15

It's the same as with Ubuntu being an "operating system", despite being a (piss poor) Debian fork. wink

I mean, 99.9% of the time, it's all the same junk. Just different package manager (or lack thereof), desktop environment (or lack thereof), window manager (or lack thereof), and/or configuration files. You can always repackage it anyway you'd like, but it's still GNU/Linux (or either GNU/Linux-libre or GNU/Hurd, if all hope is lost).

#2 Re: Devuan » Why are systemd files present in Devuan? » 2021-02-28 20:32:43

Debian is without a doubt a distro. Technically speaking, GNU is the operating system that nearly all of the distros are produced from. We just call it "Linux" because it's more conventional, despite it fundamentally being nothing more than a kernel.

#3 Re: News & Announcements » Devuan Beowulf 3.1.0 point release » 2021-02-25 05:40:07

Nice to see the installer lets you choose a different init now. Congrats!

#4 Re: Freedom Hacks » Mixing Devuan Ceres with Siduction? » 2021-02-25 05:38:51

Fair enough. I actually tested Siduction on a virtual machine and carefully changed the repositories over to Devuan. There were too many sticky spots when trying to remove Systemd and install Runit or a different init, as their exclusive repositories were still dependent on Systemd to some extent.

I can also see your point that simply removing or installing packages won't cut it. Configuration files have a lot to do with how a system operates.

Funny enough, all my Devuan Ceres systems have specific PPAs (for packages not found in the official repositories, such as Otter Browser and Strawberry) and run just fine. A few hiccups at first, but applying the fixes panned things out. i wouldn't say this is a "FrankenDevuan", as I'm only using the development branches in my repositories. It would've been the case for mixing stable with unstable (or maybe even backports).

#6 Re: Devuan » As Debian 11 moves closer to Devuan. Is there any reason to stay on De » 2021-02-25 05:32:06

Even so, no reason for me to stop using Devuan. You can't always trust Debian today with their upstream decisions, because you know they're going to fuck something up tomorrow. They're still too heavily influenced by Red Hat, Canonical, and GNOME garbage, and direct pushers of Wayland. Just because you can change your init this time around doesn't mean they're not corrupt anymore. It's a deception.

Devuan is more than just another "Systemd protest" distro. It actually aims for KISS philosophy as much as possible without the pretentious "minimalism" crap. It's everything that Debian should have been for the longest time. The fact that a fork had this much influence says a lot.

#7 Freedom Hacks » Mixing Devuan Ceres with Siduction? » 2021-02-18 15:16:13

brocashelm
Replies: 3

I recently became aware of Siduction, which is essentially Debian Sid shipped with additional repositories meant to complement its stability. Since I already use Devuan Ceres, I was wondering what it would be like to use Siduction's exclusive repositories. There are extra settings for MATE, Xfce, LXQt, and Cinnamon desktops, as well as Siduction defaults for Apt. Another plus is you can get slightly newer kernels (current version is linux-headers-5.10.17-towo.1-siduction-amd64) than Devuan or Debian (if I recall correctly).

Finally, here are Siduction's official repositories, if anyone is curious about experimenting (their keyring package is siduction-archive-keyring):

deb http://packages.siduction.org/extra unstable main
deb http://packages.siduction.org/fixes unstable main contrib non-free

I know it's a distro that ships with Systemd (because of Debian upstream), but I don't believe that these two repositories depend on it. Anyone with more experience using the distro is more than welcome to set the facts straight.

#8 Re: Off-topic » mozilla, we need more deplatforming... » 2021-01-11 11:28:34

Shit like this is why I stopped coming back.

#9 Re: Devuan » Will Devuan ever stop being based on Debian? » 2020-10-31 09:57:38

Devuan's reason for existing has to do with Debian making retarded decisions on its users' behalf. If Systemd was an optional install and essential packages didn't depend on it, then all would have been well, but nope...

And, I think that's all Devuan needs to be: an actively maintained Debian without Systemd.

Why should it try to be anything else? I don't like most distros that are "designed" like Christmas lights and try to "reinvent the wheel" of Unix-like OSes. Let the individual decide how his or her system should be configured.

#10 Re: Devuan Derivatives » dwm on Miyo (Devuan Ceres- rolling) » 2020-10-30 20:21:44

manyroads wrote:

I do like breaking things. smile

I did decide to do yet another reinstall of Miyo.  Got the network thing hammered into place only to discover Devuan repos would not sync.  So... I just decided that Ceres/Rolling is probably not reliable enough for me. I do really like Miyo, though.

and now for something really different, I am off to play with Void some.  wink

Sync problems sometimes happen. I recommend retrying a few more times. I usually succeed after the second or third attempt. Also, Ceres is VERY stable on my machines, and I have not returned to Beowulf or Chimaera ever since. The few instances of breakage I've experienced have been mild at worst. You just have to use common sense. smile

#11 Re: Off-topic » Choose your browser carefully » 2020-10-26 13:03:32

Palemoon is also sometimes recommended by people as a privacy respecting browser, but Palemoon is not even promoted as a privacy respecting browser so I don't know where that comes from. Palemoon also "phones home" and it also connects to Google every time it is started up just like Chromium.

This mitigation guide resolves the above problems (i.e. "phoning home" and contacting Google). There's also a fork with placeholder title Web Browser that corrects much of Pale Moon's mistakes (e.g. automatic updates, add-on blacklists).

#12 Re: Devuan » Devuan, maybe not for every one but most! » 2020-10-17 11:45:56

I think when it comes to the anti-Systemd crowd, most tend to gravitate towards Artix GNU/Linux or any other non-LTS distro. Devuan still serves a purpose for Debian and Ubuntu refugees, but I can see why some people aren't too fond of APT and its tendency to break dependencies, when Pacman can work around that sort of thing.

As long as Debian continues to make retarded decisions "on behalf" of its users, people will continue to recommend Devuan and just about every other downstream distro that won't put up with their nonsense.

#13 Re: Desktop and Multimedia » [SOLVED (sorta)]Fat xfce activity bars » 2020-09-30 14:12:38

Does FluxBB support image attachments? That would make life a lot easier for people asking for or receiving support.

#14 Re: Hardware & System Configuration » (core2duo workstation) NVIDIA Quadro FX 770 m - devuan reasonable? » 2020-09-26 23:31:02

I have Devuan installed on a very old laptop from the Pentium M era. Works smoothly for its age, and it's been all over the place.

#15 Re: Other Issues » Beowulf: No updates available via apt? » 2020-09-26 15:56:34

We're at a point where you can use Sid without worrying about something catastrophic underway, and even a bug or two could be patched up instantly. I think this argument would have been applicable ten years ago when GNU/Linux wasn't quite there yet with desktop adoption. It's a lot better now.

Still, if you're just looking to update as much as you can at least once a week, then expanding your repositories or moving over to a development branch would be ideal. Otherwise, if everything else looks fine, then why fix what isn't broken? That's the whole point of stable releases.

#16 Re: Other Issues » Beowulf: No updates available via apt? » 2020-09-26 10:32:18

It's likely your systems don't need any updates for Beowulf right this moment. You could try adding beowulf-proposed-updates and/or beowulf-backports to your repositories and see what updates are readily available. It's the safer alternative to pulling in packages from Chimaera or Ceres.

#17 Re: Desktop and Multimedia » Beowolf » 2020-09-25 22:28:12

I know this is just going to derail the thread (I'll stop after this post, so make of it what you will), but I was more or less referring to how in the heck they are "popular", when I barely know any GNU/Linux user who has that OS as their daily driver, newbie or experienced. I could understand some exceptions, but the "number one on DistroWatch" thing just seems like a meme.

Also, isn't Systemd now included to some extent (source)?

Nonetheless, I appreciate the efforts of people like Steven Pusser who port and maintain packages not currently supported by Debian upstream.

#18 Re: Devuan » Debian has fallen. What now? » 2020-09-25 18:26:36

I think Debian's problems are more than just "embracing" Systemd. The current operations aren't as "traditional-minded" as once in the past. Speaking highly of things such as Wayland, GNOME, and other modern atrocities to GNU/Linux would entail that what passes off for "Debian" is primarily by influence of Red Hat and Canonical.

#19 Re: Desktop and Multimedia » Beowolf » 2020-09-25 16:13:51

PedroReina wrote:
brocashelm wrote:

Some of us like to live on the edge... wink

In all your systems? Wow smile

By switching to Ceres. Way better and no less stable than Beowulf on a good day. Chimaera did give me problems, though. Perhaps the reality is LTS-based systems generally suck and rolling releases are the way to go. I like not having to worry about doing another major system upgrade ever again.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Well actually my lame attempt at humour was a dig at Mint's atrociously poor security support: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments … inux_mint/

The OP is wise to move on from that crapfest.

It's just a newbie's first distro that can then be used to level up to something else when it's time. What Ubuntu should've been (at the very least) and not nearly as much of a joke as Pop!_OS or the "popular" MX GNU/Linux.

#20 Re: Desktop and Multimedia » Beowolf » 2020-09-24 19:45:19

Some of us like to live on the edge... wink

#21 Re: Desktop and Multimedia » Beowolf » 2020-09-24 18:21:47

I stuck with 18.3 for the longest time because I could still boot with Upstart (Systemd couldn't be removed successfully). I moved over to Devuan and "Mintified" it to the point where I don't even look back now.

#22 Re: Devuan » Looking for a new system » 2020-09-21 19:55:20

Golinux's post should set the record straight.

I think you're looking around for things that clearly don't exist. Devuan forks over two hundred Debian packages to remove Systemd parts, and whichever ones make it difficult to do so would end up being blacklisted for everyone's safety. It's not a perfect world, but this is as good as it's going to get.

You're more than welcome to help out the developers with bug testing, package maintenance, and so on. I find those would be a lot more constructive to the cause than making these sorts of threads.

#23 Re: Forum Feedback » Unable to edit any of my own posts » 2020-09-20 11:46:32

golinux wrote:

I can still edit my posts on the debian forum even from 2015 but there's no longer a delete option.  It is possible to have different timeouts for those 2 functions.  We need to find the sweet spot for each of the options.

Don't they use phpBB? By default, you can only "delete" your post if no one else followed up in the thread, and the previous posts which haven't had anyone else contributing are candidates for self-deletion. If you edit your most recent post in a thread (provided no one else replied), there won't be a brief note saying that you edited your post.

#24 Re: Forum Feedback » Unable to edit any of my own posts » 2020-09-19 20:17:16

Looks like there's an issue with the current session failing to update the threads I've just read. This happens sometimes. I'm using Pale Moon.

#25 Re: Other Issues » Can't update the chimaera-security repo » 2020-09-18 21:29:06

Both Chimaera and Ceres get you closer to upstream versions of software, so all the security updates can come directly from them.

Board footer

Forum Software