The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2023-12-26 02:42:45

zapper

Re: Upcoming browser changes

quickfur wrote:

I keep Chromium around for those few sites that refuse to work without it, which in my case fortunately is only a small handful. (I can live without the rest.)  I used to be a big Opera fan until they sold out and switched to a Chrome engine. .

There are ways to use discourse websites even with using palemoon or other uxp web browsers.

I don't think it won't happen in your life time, unless you are 60+ already.

Might take a few decades but I don't think its impossible. Although, a rising up against corporations is needed first. Its slowly happening due to corporations and their abusing smart device bs. Tethering stuff that doesn't need to be tethered, etc...

Last edited by zapper (2023-12-26 02:44:10)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#27 2023-12-26 13:59:29

quickfur

Not sure what you mean by discourse websites; the sites that don't work for me are sites that use things like Chrome-specific ways of doing video/audio via complex JS code. I've no idea how one might work around this dependency.

Also, what I don't expect in my lifetime is the ability to browse online, without any handicap or loss of functionality, with keyboard only, zero mouse use. I don't believe there's a big audience for this even among those who prefer no corporation driven designs.

#28 2023-12-26 23:30:25

zapper

quickfur wrote:

Not sure what you mean by discourse websites; the sites that don't work for me are sites that use things like Chrome-specific ways of doing video/audio via complex JS code. I've no idea how one might work around this dependency.

Also, what I don't expect in my lifetime is the ability to browse online, without any handicap or loss of functionality, with keyboard only, zero mouse use. I don't believe there's a big audience for this even among those who prefer no corporation driven designs.

The discourse websites, such as nitrokey's forum or, mnt research forum, the creators of the mnt reform design anotherwords.

https://community.mnt.re/

https://support.nitrokey.com/

You may notice the your web browser isn't up to date nonsense and how you need to upgrade to browse happy bs.

There are fixes for some of those websites. It requires modify http response and specific filters such as this:

[["/^/",["/browser-detect-/",["/.*/g",""]],["/^\\/assets\\/discourse-[0-9a-f]{4}/",["(.d-modal-legacy\"","(.d-modal-legacy)\"","document.execCommand(\"insertText\",!1,","this._textarea.setRangeText("]]]]

Palemoon forums users have figured this out, which is awesome.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#29 2023-12-27 09:33:29

aluma

@zapper
Out of curiosity, I installed Chromium, opened these sites in it and FF.
Honestly, I don't see the difference.
What should you pay attention to?

Regards.

#30 2023-12-27 16:27:49

quickfur

I don't use these kinds of discourse websites. Generally if a website uses an unreasonable amount of JS, I just ignore it. The world is big; there is life beyond poorly programmed websites.  Only a few JS-heavy sites I'm forced to use, like online banking, employer-dictated collaboration sites (the really horrible MS Teams), and a couple of others. Besides those, I just ignore whatever doesn't work with NoScript.

#31 2024-01-03 22:57:10

Micronaut

More changes...

Over this past New Years weekend I update my various systems. All of them currently run Chimaera, as I always wait for the wrinkles to be worked out in the latest releases. smile Despite all of the systems running the same version of Devuan, and having Chromium installed (some also have Chrome), only one of the them gave me a warning about Chromium soon losing support on older versions of Debian. Not Devuan, but Debian. Since Devuan is based on Debian, though, I take this to be an important notice. I wonder why I didn't get it on all of the systems? Would different packages possibly be sent to systems running Chimaera based on other configuration details? And one of these packages had the warning?

I have since tried to find a 'roadmap' of Chromium development but cannot seem to find any clear info. Can someone tell me where to find a clear list of support dates for Chromium on various versions of Debian so I can figure out what this might mean?

#32 2024-01-04 00:52:26

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

Micronaut wrote:

Can someone tell me where to find a clear list of support dates for Chromium on various versions of Debian so I can figure out what this might mean?

perhaps one of these?
ttps://packages.debian.org/en/chromium
ttps://packages.debian.org/stable/chromium
ttps://packages.debian.org/bullseye/chromium
ttps://packages.debian.org/buster/chromium
ttps://wiki.debian.org/Chromium

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you

#33 2024-01-04 15:35:33

Micronaut

No, not like those. First of all, Debian wiki is notoriously slow to update. "https://wiki.debian.org/Chromium" still lists Bullseye as stable and Bookworm as testing. Second, that is 'current status' -- at least if it were in fact current. Plans for the future are not given. Not even the Chromium home page shows any info on how long they plan to support it on various distros. "https://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar/" ends in 2020. The blog is a series of advertisements, not useful info.

So why did I get a notice of pending loss of support on ONE copy of my various Devuan/Chimaera installs and who put it out?

#34 2024-01-04 20:45:06

zapper

aluma wrote:

@zapper
Out of curiosity, I installed Chromium, opened these sites in it and FF.
Honestly, I don't see the difference.
What should you pay attention to?

Regards.

I was speaking of for palemoon, basilisk-browser, iceweasel-uxp and similar.

Basically, XUL web browsers these fixes help with.

If you not having problems, with discourse, then no need to worry.

Peace Be With us All!

#35 2024-01-04 22:48:52

steve_v

zapper wrote:

If you not having problems, with discourse, then no need to worry.

Browsers aside, I prefer "If you not having problems with discourse, then you need to worry.", or simply "If you're using discourse, you have a problem." tongue
That thing is the most obnoxious "forum" software I have ever had the misfortune to encounter.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#36 2024-01-05 08:37:41

zapper

Yeah, discourse is a pile of horse crap. Although, javascript never was a good idea to use for the web anyhow.

The creators of discourse and webcomponents, are trying to solve a problem they created. No one should program anything like the web with any programming languages that are bloated or screwed up. Actually, EDIT: not merely screwed up, SCREWED UP on MULTIPLE levels!

lol.

Last edited by zapper (2024-01-05 08:38:40)

Peace Be With us All!

#37 2024-04-25 01:29:13

Micronaut

Demise of third-party cookies delayed again. But it's not clear from this story if the restricted extension rules will still be implemented on schedule.

https://digiday.com/marketing/google-de … yet-again/

Can anyone say if they are still killing ad-blockers on the scheduled date?

Board footer