The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-04-01 18:17:07

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: What happened at devuan.org?

Ron wrote:

Making your own website look like it was hacked?

That's what hackers back in the 90s used to do, these days they wouldn't change the homepage because that would give the game away and stop whatever malware they plant from being effective.

I though it was an awesome joke, the more so for all the people it apparently fooled lol

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#27 2019-04-01 18:22:42

pulsar

For what it's worth, I knew virtually nothing about Devuan until I saw an article referencing the "pwned" page and it prompted me to research the project. Now I have a registered account on the project forum. Was it the most effective form of marketing? Hard to say. At the very least we know based on responses that it had a double-edge to it. I can certainly understand existing users' frustration if it blocked work getting done.

Just flashed ascii release to usb. Maybe I'll install a gopher client once it's up and running wink

#28 2019-04-01 18:47:46

boycottsystemd

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

...these days they wouldn't change the homepage because that would give the game away and stop whatever malware they plant from being effective.

Are you sure you can rely on it ?

#29 2019-04-01 18:54:39

Ron

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
I though it was an awesome joke, the more so for all the people it apparently fooled lol

So fooling people that use your product is "awesome"? That's just plain stupid. Yes, I'm angry over this. It didn't cost me work time, it cost me some time from my time off of work. There's a good reason why people and businesses that put out products for a profit don't fool their customers. This "joke" was not smart.

#30 2019-04-01 19:12:19

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Ron wrote:

So fooling people that use your product is "awesome"?

Fooling you is awesome, yes. You actually took time off work because of this? lol

Seriously d00d, chill out. Have some tea, that always helps me calm down.

#31 2019-04-01 19:22:33

Ron

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Fooling you is awesome, yes. You actually took time off work because of this?

Your powers of reading comprehension are amazing. Read what I wrote again.

#32 2019-04-01 19:43:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Ron wrote:

Read what I wrote again.

Oh yes, silly me. I'm tired smile

#33 2019-04-01 22:10:59

ChuangTzu

Completely unprofessional and amateurish.

If this was going to be done, the dev's could have posted a message about how systemd is now completely unavoidable so starting with Devuan 3.0 init will be systemd....or announce that Lennart just joined as one of the dev's or that he is one of the VUA etc....  but the manner that this joke was handled is the same sophomoric behavior that has ruined projects/companies in the past. 

Whoever decided this was a good idea should step down, because that persons' trust is now lost.

#34 2019-04-01 23:05:48

dxrobertson

I am not sure I understand all the uproar about this.  Have we lost our understanding of April fools jokes?  Not saying I wasnt fooled as well, I certainly was.  I actually think it was pretty funny - gopher!

#35 2019-04-01 23:58:46

ChuangTzu

dxrobertson wrote:

I am not sure I understand all the uproar about this.  Have we lost our understanding of April fools jokes?  Not saying I wasnt fooled as well, I certainly was.  I actually think it was pretty funny - gopher!

So this is funny: https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 … a7.en.html
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 … 9a.en.html

#36 2019-04-02 01:05:28

dxrobertson

ChuangTzu wrote:
dxrobertson wrote:

So this is funny: https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 … a7.en.html
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 … 9a.en.html

I am wrong.  I thought the joke/page display was done internally, by a Devuan admin, as a joke.  Please disregard my previous post.  Thanks for the enlightenment!

#37 2019-04-02 01:12:40

Ron

dxrobertson wrote:
I thought the joke/page display was done internally, by a Devuan admin, as a joke.

Well, that's what I thought also. Can somebody who knows what happened please inform the rest of us on the whole story, joke, or whatever it was?

#38 2019-04-02 01:25:27

ChuangTzu

Ron wrote:

dxrobertson wrote:
I thought the joke/page display was done internally, by a Devuan admin, as a joke.

Well, that's what I thought also. Can somebody who knows what happened please inform the rest of us on the whole story, joke, or whatever it was?

Full thread: https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/thread/20 … 4.169aaf9a

#39 2019-04-02 03:42:39

ToxicExMachina

roluan17 wrote:

hi there everybody, new here, seems to be the right place. humour is essential.
Greetings

Humor is essential but this time that was too much.

#40 2019-04-02 06:13:01

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

#41 2019-04-02 07:16:55

TotallyDoneWithLinuxNow

Welp I have been a happy user of Devuan for about two years but it seems I just don’t have the sense of humor required to continue running it. Linux itself is becoming questionable and Devuan was kind of a last hope, but nobody has even appeared to take responsibility. How do I know that other “jokes” aren’t lurking in my system?

*dusts hands off* I’m out, lads. Thanks for two years of good Linux, best of luck in the future. Puffy and I have been making each other’s acquaintances and I’m now comfortable enough to switch over completely.

#42 2019-04-02 09:27:16

cynwulf

golinux wrote:

I was not amused.

sgage wrote:

I checked out #devuan. I just want to go on record as saying that this was an extremely shitty April Fool's prank. Not amusing at all. You don't prank your project's main page. For hours. This is arrant foolery. I am very disappointed.

spinlock wrote:

I agree 100%. Not clever, not funny, unprofessional and actively undermining the reputation and trust of the project. Quite unbelievably misjudged.

Lysander wrote:

I personally find this puerile. There are some people [seasoned *nixers among them] who don't view Devuan as a serious project, this doesn't help.

Ron wrote:

This was not harmless humor. I'd still like to know who did this, and how high up the Devuan food-chain they are. Making your own website look like it was hacked? How stupid can you get? If people don't take Devuan seriously, it looks like now they got a reason. Way to go.

ChuangTzu wrote:

Completely unprofessional and amateurish.

I have to say that I agree...

I have always been skeptical of Devuan as a serious project, so while this prank does seem somewhat incredible in it's level of stupidity, this doesn't really surprise me as such - in that it's no shocking revelation to me at least.  I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt to a project lead by self declared "Veteran 'UNIX' Admins" and just ignore much of the negativity I'd read elsewhere, hence why I joined this forum just to keep up to date with the project and participate in some of the more general threads, etc.

It just reaffirms it for me that this is not a project to be taken seriously.  It really just smacks of a few kewl kids / fanbois who like to call themselves by a collective kewl club name, doing what various others have done, time and time again - take Debian, make some changes, repackage some bits, design a logo, come up with a different name and call it a "distribution".

There's actually nothing wrong with that in itself, but if that's what it is, then its developers need to make it clear and its users need to be informed.

#43 2019-04-02 09:56:35

Panopticon

After reading those dyne messages i didnt realise how serious some members took this. From my point of view i knew instantly it was a joke but if people have their fingers on kill switches then that would be a rather serious security concern. Maybe something a little less concerning for next years april fools. I like what void linux did, its no longer available to see but they made their homepage look like arch linux with the A for Arch upside down so it looked like a V for Void linux!

#44 2019-04-02 10:13:01

Lysander

Panopticon wrote:

I like what void linux did, its no longer available to see but they made their homepage look like arch linux with the A for Arch upside down so it looked like a V for Void linux!

Or like Slackware who dispensed with their traditional Courier 10 Pitch font a few years ago and replaced it with Comic Sans for the day. It was a subtle change, but it was noticed and appreciated.

Such a joke should make users appreciate the distro and the ethos behind it more, not less. The distro should not be pranking its userbase.

I personally will, nevertheless, continue to run Devuan on my main laptop. I am hoping that the devs will look back on this and learn.

ChuangTzu and cynwulf, good posts as always.

#45 2019-04-02 10:39:05

Panopticon

Yeah im with you there Lysander, maybe a bit more subtle in future. Also i think users should give benefit of the doubt for the prank, im pretty sure no harm was meant for it and i bet they are very sorry, this shouldn't be a reason to give up on Devuan and jump ship to some other gnu linux, they do good work.

#46 2019-04-02 12:13:00

aut0exec

Panopticon wrote:

After reading those dyne messages i didnt realise how serious some members took this. From my point of view i knew instantly it was a joke but if people have their fingers on kill switches then that would be a rather serious security concern. Maybe something a little less concerning for next years april fools. I like what void linux did, its no longer available to see but they made their homepage look like arch linux with the A for Arch upside down so it looked like a V for Void linux!

Not particularly serious but I put off package updates and disabled repo's on ~20'ish systems as a precautionary step. I 'thought' it was a joke as well but the inability to still continue on to the homepage or anything else on the site definitely had me worried. I think ChuangTzu had the idea of an announcement about "Systemd is inevitable and Devuan 3 would run it." Would've been a much better April Fool's prank! Still love the Devuan project and will still run the distro!

#47 2019-04-02 14:13:10

Panopticon

^ had there been a big clickable link to the main page / workable site in that pwned html it may have alleviated some concern, maybe. Site wide prank probably not a good idea.

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-04-02 14:14:04)

#48 2019-04-02 23:20:46

ChuangTzu

Lack of response adds more weight to my above comments, also this nonsense was blasted on Devuan's official twitter page as well as retweeted on Jaromils. 
Ref:
https://twitter.com/DevuanOrg/status/11 … 6666711046
https://twitter.com/DevuanOrg/status/11 … 3261357057
https://twitter.com/DevuanOrg/status/11 … 5244096513
https://twitter.com/DevuanOrg/status/11 … 9187398656

retweet:
https://twitter.com/jaromil

Followed by a lame apology for the irresponsible behavior.  Basically a "my bad, we're just a bunch of hackers don't expect too much from us." 
https://twitter.com/LinuxOBeardly/statu … 2033766404

From bad to worse.

More fallout:
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/thread/20 … cc.en.html
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/thread/20 … ad.en.html
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/thread/20 … 20.en.html

Last edited by ChuangTzu (2019-04-02 23:28:37)

#49 2019-04-03 00:09:14

catprints

I guess being grateful for Devuan goes out the window if they fall prey to human error?

"The obstacle is the path."

#50 2019-04-03 00:56:56

Ron

Saying 1 + 1 = 3 is human error. What this guy(s) did was just plain stupid. If I were in charge, he'd be gone.

Board footer