You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
Thank you all for your input!
@rolfie and @kapqa:
I need only 2D framebuffer stuff (most challenging is youtube 4k). I now am thinking whether I should use that old GT730 or that K2000 lying around, just to evaluate how Nouveau has improved meantime. No need for a 300 watt turbofan engine ![]()
@grunchy:
great to see that other Devuan users also are big ZFS fans ![]()
Actually I used ZFS on root on Debian for years, until a RAM ECC error halted the system very roughly and destroyed the data pool (the last snapshot was still readable, though). After that I switched back to FreeBSD. But, as said, FreeBSD is less than ideal for desktop usage, no hibernate support and other things.
@zapper:
I guess I just should try again Nvidia/Nouveau after that long time...
But what worries me a bit right now is that I need to help debug some KDE packages and have to build/install them manually using custom options. I read that is extremely difficult on Debian/Devuan in comparison to FreeBSD or, say, Void Linux. Iiuc in the former, one has to modify the build scripts themselves, while in the latter one can concentrate on the options setting, without fear of trashing the whole system. But maybe that is just dramatized? *scratching head* Whatever, this makes me ask what is more advisable, devuan or void... please excuse me, I am still trying to understand before I start the project...
Thank you all again ![]()
I want to try out Devuan, as a systemd free linux.
Before I do that, I would like to ask a few questions:
1. does ZFSbootmenu work well with Devuan?
(I ask because I am FreeBSD user, but FreeBSD isn't completely optimal for desktop/laptop. But I want to keep ZFS and boot environments as much as possible.)
2. what is the current state of Nvidia/Nouveau/amdgpu drivers?
(There have been serious issues with Nvidia drivers [e.g. freezes etc] and Nouveau [stability] recently, so I have been using AMD R5 430 as framebuffer recently. But the amdgpu driver has its own issues, incomplete repaint etc, so I wonder whether maybe Nvidia or Nouveau drivers have improved recently, so I can put to use my GT 730 cards again?)
3. does hibernate (suspend to disk) work well/reliably with Devuan? (and with ZFSbootmenu?)
Thank you very much ![]()
Pages: 1