The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 Re: Installation » [SOLVED] Chose runit but getting mashup of SysV and Runit » 2026-09-11 18:26:42

At the moment, so that there's no confusion and the system is usable I just installed it with SysV init. As I mentioned during the install you can see the runit packages getting installed, but managing services using runit init commands doesn't work. you still have to use the sysvinit commands and everything is inside /etc/init.d where you'd expect to find things on a sysvinit system. That's where things are now.

Mark

#2 Re: Installation » [SOLVED] Chose runit but getting mashup of SysV and Runit » 2026-08-20 01:15:07

First, thank you both for replying. I checked to make sure because I was fairly certain during the install when I chose runit that it grabbed both runit packages so I checked the system:

runit/stable,now 2.2.0-3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
runit-helper/stable,now 2.16.4 all [installed,automatic]
runit-init/stable,now 2.2.0-3 amd64 [installed]
runit-services/stable,now 0.9.1+deb13u1 all [installed,automatic]

So, I guess at this point I can leave it as is or reload and just go with SysVinit.

Mark

#3 Installation » [SOLVED] Chose runit but getting mashup of SysV and Runit » 2026-08-19 19:04:15

mark_2461
Replies: 5

I've gone through the install three times now over the past two weeks. I have Void Linux on another drive so I'm familiar with the way runit looks when loading the system and how it operates in relation to interacting with services. The first time I loaded Devuan I chose SysV init because it had been such a long time since seeing it last. I have noticed runit is much faster on my machine than SysV, so I chose to reload and at the end I chose runit as the init system. The first time doing this I noticed at startup things didn't look quite right and calling services to either restart or get a status things weren't working. Searching for the location of the service scripts revealed they were in /etc/init.d/ and not where runit would keep them - /etc/sv. So, I reloaded again today just in case I did something wrong the last time. At the end of the install I chose runit as the init system.

When the system rebooted I noticed the same startup behavior. What I've got is a mashup on runit and sysv init. This is acutely annoying.

Is there a special trick to actually getting a discrete runit init system or is the choice at the end of the install just window dressing? I much prefer runit over SysV init.

Thanks in advance...,

Mark

Board footer

Forum Software