The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#2 Desktop and Multimedia » [SOLVED] xdg-desktop-portal xdg-open and mimetypes » 2026-09-18 21:15:47

JnvSor
Replies: 2

Recently I noticed xdg-open fails. This is the first time since switching to devuan that I've tried to use it, so I suspect it's related.

I'm on xfce4 trying to open a steam:// link.

~/.local/share/applications/steam.desktop

is a symlink to

~/.steam/deb-installer/steam.desktop

and contains the all important line:

MimeType=x-scheme-handler/steam;x-scheme-handler/steamlink;

Still, when opening a steam link from a browser I get the xdg-desktop-portal-gtk "No Apps available" popup, with a broken button trying to start gnome-software for some reason.

Trying to find the cause I have this strange result:

$ gio mime x-scheme-handler/steam
No default applications for “x-scheme-handler/steam”
$ xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/steam
steam.desktop

On top of all this a check with pstree shows xdg-desktop-portal being a direct child process of init, but I can't find it anywhere in /etc/init.d

So in summary I have two questions:

  • How do I get xdg-open working again, or some replacement?

  • How does xdg-desktop-portal start up anyway?

#3 Re: Installation » [SOLVED] Trouble migrating from sid to ceres » 2026-03-27 22:49:57

My understanding is that Amprolla (what makes Devuan's repositories) runs several hours behind Debian's servers.

I figured it was something like that. Thanks!

#4 Installation » [SOLVED] Trouble migrating from sid to ceres » 2026-03-27 19:37:12

JnvSor
Replies: 4

My daily driver is a long-running sid install I've been putting off migrating for too long now. Following the installation steps I get a number of 404 errors. Seems some packages are missing and update and upgrade aren't in sync:

E: Failed to fetch http://deb.devuan.org/merged/pool/DEBIAN/main/i/isl/libisl23_0.27-2_amd64.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 2001:638:a000:1021:21::1 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://deb.devuan.org/merged/pool/DEBIAN/main/m/mpfr4/libmpfr6_4.2.2-3_amd64.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 2001:638:a000:1021:21::1 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://deb.devuan.org/merged/pool/DEBIAN/main/m/mpclib3/libmpc3_1.3.1-3_amd64.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 2001:638:a000:1021:21::1 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://deb.devuan.org/merged/pool/DEBIAN/main/d/dwz/dwz_0.16-4_amd64.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 2001:638:a000:1021:21::1 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://deb.devuan.org/merged/pool/DEBIAN/main/libf/libffi/libffi-dev_3.5.2-4_amd64.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 2001:638:a000:1021:21::1 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://deb.devuan.org/merged/pool/DEBIAN/main/libf/libffi/libffi8_3.5.2-4_i386.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 2001:638:a000:1021:21::1 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://deb.devuan.org/merged/pool/DEBIAN/main/libf/libffi/libffi8_3.5.2-4_amd64.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 2001:638:a000:1021:21::1 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://deb.devuan.org/merged/pool/DEBIAN/main/g/gssdp/libgssdp-1.6-0_1.6.4-6_amd64.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 2001:638:a000:1021:21::1 80]

A quick browse through the pool shows a version very close to this is in there for the first one, so I presume they'll just land in ceres after a delay. Is that correct or is there something I have to actually fix here?

Board footer

Forum Software