The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-10 03:09:18

Ron

[SOLVED] Something is shutting off signal to monitor after 10 minutes

I'm running Miyo with Mate desktop. I have the Mate screensaver to kick in after 5 minutes of inactivity. But then after another 5 minutes (10 minutes total), the computer shuts off the signal to the monitor. I don't think this is something in Mate doing this, as I think this is a function of a power manager, and Mate's power manager is dependent on systemd so it's not installed. I've deleted everything Openbox and LXDE so it can't be something from them doing this. I still have a few Xfce things: libexo-1-0, libxfce4ui-1-0, libxfce4ui-common, libxfce4util-common, libxfce4util7, libxfconf-0-2, and xfconf. Could it be one of these things that's shutting off the signal to the monitor? Or something else? I'd like to either edit it to a longer time, or to never shut off the monitor's signal. Thanks for any input on this.

BTW, is it safe to delete the Xfce remnants left on my system?

Last edited by Ron (2018-06-11 17:24:48)

#2 2018-06-10 04:20:01

MiyoLinux

Re: [SOLVED] Something is shutting off signal to monitor after 10 minutes

Hi Ron! I'm guessing that you don't have the xfce4-power-manager installed?

Sounds like xset is what is causing the situation. Let's try this first...open your terminal and enter...

xset dpms 0 0 0

...then see if the screen turns off after 10 minutes of no activity.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2018-06-10 17:46:50

Ron

Thanks, that worked. So how do I go about editing this? Or will what I ran in the terminal stick after a reboot?

#4 2018-06-11 00:57:56

MiyoLinux

Hi Ron...sorry for the late reply. Our family has been out of town all day.

Anyway...let's see if this works...

If I remember correctly, you changed to LightDM instead of Slim. Open your terminal, and enter the following command...substitute leafpad with your text editor...

sudo leafpad /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

When the file opens, scroll down until you find the line [Seat Defaults]

After finding that line, look for the line #xserver-command=X

Remove the # from in front of the line, and change the line to read xserver-command=X -s 0 dpms

Save and close the file. Reboot for it to take effect...hopefully take effect.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-06-11 01:31:00)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#5 2018-06-11 01:45:21

Ron

MiyoLinux wrote:
If I remember correctly, you changed to LightDM instead of Slim.

I did, but when I reinstalled Miyo I kept Slim. So how do I change it with Slim?

#6 2018-06-11 02:44:25

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

MiyoLinux wrote:
If I remember correctly, you changed to LightDM instead of Slim.

I did, but when I reinstalled Miyo I kept Slim. So how do I change it with Slim?

Okay. It works basically the same with slim. Give me a few minutes...had to go to a store for a few items. Sorry. I'll be back soon. While I was at it, I stinkin' should've given directions for slim too... tongue LOLOLOL!

#7 2018-06-11 03:07:21

MiyoLinux

Okay...

This is actually my preferred way of stopping the monitor from turning off...don't need a power manager using resources to do the same thing. tongue

Open your terminal, and issue this command (substitute leafpad with your text editor)...

sudo leafpad /etc/slim.conf

When the file opens, the line you want to edit is close to the top. It looks like this...

xserver_arguments   -nolisten tcp

Edit that line so that it now looks like this...

xserver_arguments   -s 0 dpms -nolisten tcp

Save and close the file. Then Reboot...it might work with just a log out/log in, but I'm not sure.

Hope that helps!

#8 2018-06-11 04:27:32

Ron

Thanks, that seemed to work. smile

If later I want to change it to a longer time for the signal to be shut off (instead of not at all), how would I do that? Everything in the line you had me edit is puzzling to me. hmm

Last edited by Ron (2018-06-11 04:30:48)

#9 2018-06-11 16:49:10

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

Thanks, that seemed to work. smile

If later I want to change it to a longer time for the signal to be shut off (instead of not at all), how would I do that? Everything in the line you had me edit is puzzling to me. hmm

Sure thing!

If you want it to turn off, just change the 0 (zero) to the number of MINUTES that you want to transpire before turning off the monitor. Such as, if I want it to turn off after 2 hours of inactivity, I would convert that to minutes in the command (2 x 60 = 120)...which would be...

xserver_arguments   -s 120 dpms -nolisten tcp

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-06-11 16:49:50)

#10 2018-06-11 17:24:08

Ron

Thanks MiyoLinux. Marking this thread as solved.

Out of curiosity, what does "dpms" stand for?

Last edited by Ron (2018-06-11 17:25:50)

#11 2018-06-11 17:42:36

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

Thanks MiyoLinux. Marking this thread as solved.

Out of curiosity, what does "dpms" stand for?

Sure thing! smile

dpms = Display Power Management Signaling

It's basically a "built-in" energy saver for X.

#12 2018-06-11 23:49:22

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

I've deleted everything Openbox and LXDE so it can't be something from them doing this. I still have a few Xfce things: libexo-1-0, libxfce4ui-1-0, libxfce4ui-common, libxfce4util-common, libxfce4util7, libxfconf-0-2, and xfconf.

BTW, is it safe to delete the Xfce remnants left on my system?

Ron, I apologize for not addressing this earlier...got all wrapped up in the monitor situation. tongue

Yes, to my knowledge, it should be safe to delete those items. You have a list of them, so keep that list until after you delete them...just in case something goes all whack-a-doodle on you...you'll know what you deleted and can reinstall them. Since you're using Mate, I see no reason to keep them...but I'm not proficient in Mate-ism. wink

smile

Board footer