The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-10 02:44:12

carlf

ASCII RC: does not install WiFi manager

So I decided to experiment with ASCII using the netinstall image.

The install went OK, the system rebooted into Devuan, but despite the installer using the network, neither network-manager nor wicd is installed. Meaning I can't actually do anything much with the laptop.  LXQt task was the only variation from the standard install. Dell Inspiron 15 3565.

Another quirk: unlike Debian and Ubuntu, tap-to-click doesn't by default exist on Devuan, either in the installer or the installed OS.

I have reported the lack of networking as a bug against tasksel.

#2 2018-05-10 03:03:32

catprints

Re: ASCII RC: does not install WiFi manager

With netinstall if you uncheck devuan desktop ,I seem to recall that wicd does not install with mate checked. With the ascii-rc I checked both
and had no issue.

"The obstacle is the path."

#3 2018-05-10 03:53:42

carlf

I did not uncheck Desktop, though. Thanks.

#4 2018-05-10 12:27:35

fsmithred
Administrator

With lxqt, connman gets installed.

#5 2018-05-11 00:32:53

carlf

fsmithred wrote:

With lxqt, connman gets installed.

OK. I had no way to know that, it doesn't appear in the menu, it didn't appear in the notification area or whatever LXQt calls it--short of digging into script files or something, how would I know? I have never heard of connman after decades of Linux use, and 'apropos wifi' or 'apropos 802.11' turned up nothing.

#6 2018-05-11 00:45:39

zephyr
Website

For QT connman uses cmst for a GUI, haven't tried or used LXQT but should be enabled in autostart.

cheers

z

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#7 2018-05-11 01:07:54

MiyoLinux

I used connman and cmst in the latest releases of MiyoLinux (Openbox), and they both work great.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#8 2018-05-11 01:53:28

zephyr
Website

^ Miyo is an awesome distribution,  using connman for CROWZ with the connmanu-ui instead of csmt. Easy to add in the start command in ob, fb or jwm.

(sleep 3 && connman-ui-gtk --tray) & 

cheers

z

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#9 2018-05-11 01:53:40

carlf

I'm sure connman/cmst works fine. I just was annoyed by having to plug in my smartphone and use USB networking to install wicd, because I had no idea they were present or what to do next.

#10 2018-05-11 02:24:14

MiyoLinux

zephyr wrote:

^ Miyo is an awesome distribution,  using connman for CROWZ with the connmanu-ui instead of csmt. Easy to add in the start command in ob, fb or jwm.

(sleep 3 && connman-ui-gtk --tray) & 

cheers

z

Thank you for the kind words zephyr...but they're undeserved compared to what you do.

I've tried the gtk version of connman's gui, but I could never get it to present itself in a good manner. It was always "squished" as far as what was presented in the UI. Nothing I tried helped. So I bow to your developmentalistism. smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#11 2018-05-11 03:16:06

zephyr
Website

Thank you for the kind words zephyr...but they're undeserved compared to what you do.

I've tried the gtk version of connman's gui, but I could never get it to present itself in a good manner. It was always "squished" as far as what was presented in the UI. Nothing I tried helped. So I bow to your developmentalistism.

Certainly not the developer would like to be since I'm a Linux enthusiast and wanna be, have a lot of fun with learning my way around. Often lean on more seasoned devs to get a build out of the gate. : )

The great aspect of Devuan is the folks involved at all levels, helpful and share their knowledge,  just as eager to help others as well. To benefit and assist others with their computing is my main interest. : )

Thanks for the compliments!

cheers

z

CROWZ

Board footer