The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-15 05:57:52

jakecheslekov

ASCII pm-utils bug? also possibly polkit?

Hello hello Devuan community! I was very excited to see Devuan 2.0 in the distrowatch list today!

So I've got Devuan 2.0 up & running & it runs great as always, but I've run into a few issues unfortunately.
pm-utils is the program that manages power settings like hibernate/standby right? I think it may not be packaged right or something may be wrong with the package, as my xfce4-power-manager's hibernate+standby settings are currently missing & part of the xfce4-power-manager is greyed out, usually after installing pm-utils the standby+hibernate options will become available in xfce4-power-manager, but its not doing that for some odd reason.

and when I boot up the computer, once its logged into the desktop, I get a funny error message about a PID. I think it may be the polkit or something of that sort, but I could be wrong. I'm using LXDE.

It would appear the pid number is different every time I boot it up, upon this boot it says "No session for pid 2499"

another reason I suspect the polkit, is the lxsession-logout menu doesn't seem to work either, I'm unable to select shutdown or reboot from the menu.

GDBUS.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InteractiveAuthorizationRequired: Interactive authentication required.
^ this is the error I get upon trying to select shutdown or reboot from lxsession-logout.

There's always a chance I'm doing something wrong, but I really think there's something up with pm-utils. Maybe its the /etc/group not configured right? I'm not really sure what it could be to be honest. Anyone have any ideas what I can try? Thank you for your time.

edit: hmmmm...... installing libpolkit-backend-1-0-elogind & replacing libpolkit-backend-1-0-consolekit seems to have solved the lxsession-logout issue as well as what I thought was pm-utils issue, but I'm still getting this "PID 2xxx" error upon logging into LXDE.

Last edited by jakecheslekov (2018-02-15 06:39:15)

#2 2018-02-15 20:16:03

nixer

Re: ASCII pm-utils bug? also possibly polkit?

Helpful link here?

I have not tried this, yet, but it looks like I will have to.  I updated from ascii pre-beta and after an update from yesterday, I have this same logout / reboot problem as described here.  Plus I have two *polkit packages which show as needing updating , but are held back due to dependencies.  It does not show as a broken package but it just does not look right.  So, I am holding off on updating.

Does anyone know if this will be fixed by repackaging and let apt fix it with a dist-upgrade, or should I go ahead and try the steps outlined in the link above?

#3 2018-02-15 22:16:31

jakecheslekov

Did you try installing libpolkit-backend-1-0-elogind???[fixed] Because that solved my problems! The only problem I'm still having is this PID error upon booting up, which doesn't seem to be actually affecting anything.

Edit: SORRY I meant -elogind not -consolekit. My apologies.

These 2 packages seem to fix the problem:
libpolkit-backend-1-0-elogind
libpolkit-gobject-1-0-elogind

Last edited by jakecheslekov (2018-02-24 21:30:59)

#4 2018-02-16 00:50:07

nixer

Did you try installing libpolkit-backend-1-0-consolekit???

When I marked it for installation in synaptic, it wanted to pull in the *systemd-polkit program, so I backed out.  In my instance, I had in synaptic two programs marked as upgradeable but did not upgrade with a dist-upgrade.  I manually marked to upgrade this policykit-1  program and then the second program.  If I marked the first program in the list, it became marked as broken.  So I marked the second program in the list first (policykit-1) and it updated correctly.  This update pulled in the systemd polkit programs.  No problem, I followed the instructions linked above.  Since slim was installed and in use, I installed the programs below and in installing them, the systemd programs were removed.  I installed:

libpolkit-backend-1-0-elogind (0.105-18+devuan2.4)
libpolkit-gobject-1-0-elogind (0.105-18+devuan2.4)

The information above worked fine.  I now have the shutdown and hibernate options again.  A reboot shows no PID error or anything else that looks out of place.

Edit:  typo/spelling

Last edited by nixer (2018-02-16 14:06:20)

#5 2018-02-16 13:36:38

fsmithred
Administrator

I installed lxde yesterday and was getting the same error (No session for pid#). The pid is always for lxpolkit. Removing lxpolkit solved it for me. Shutdown buttons were working before and after removing lxpolkit.

I also experimented with running 'pam-auth-update' to alternately disable elogind or consolekit, and it seems to be working normally with either one.

Here's a list of the kits that were installed.

user@devuan:~$ dpkg -l | grep consolekit
ii  consolekit                             0.4.6-6                           amd64        framework for defining and tracking users, sessions and seats
ii  libpolkit-backend-1-0-consolekit:amd64 0.105-18+devuan2.4                amd64        PolicyKit backend API
user@devuan:~$ dpkg -l | grep policykit
ii  lxqt-policykit                         0.11.1-1                          amd64        LXQt authentication agent for PolicyKit
ii  lxqt-policykit-l10n                    0.11.2-1                          all          Language package for lxqt-policykit
ii  policykit-1                            0.105-18+devuan2.4                amd64        framework for managing administrative policies and privileges
ii  policykit-1-gnome                      0.105-6                           amd64        authentication agent for PolicyKit
user@devuan:~$ dpkg -l | grep elogind
ii  elogind                                234.4-1+devuan1.5                 amd64        user, seat and session management daemon
ii  libelogind0:amd64                      234.4-1+devuan1.5                 amd64        user, seat and session management library
ii  libpam-elogind:amd64                   234.4-1+devuan1.5                 amd64        elogind PAM module
user@devuan:~$ dpkg -l |grep polkit
ii  libpolkit-agent-1-0:amd64              0.105-18+devuan2.4                amd64        PolicyKit Authentication Agent API
ii  libpolkit-backend-1-0-consolekit:amd64 0.105-18+devuan2.4                amd64        PolicyKit backend API
ii  libpolkit-gobject-1-0-systemd:amd64    0.105-18+devuan2.4                amd64        PolicyKit Authorization API
ii  libpolkit-qt5-1-1:amd64                0.112.0-5                         amd64        PolicyKit-qt5-1 library
rc  lxpolkit                               0.5.3-2                           amd64        LXDE PolicyKit authentication agent

(Edited to add 'dpkg -l |grep polkit')

Edit2: I added
libpolkit-backend-1-0-elogind (0.105-18+devuan2.4)
libpolkit-gobject-1-0-elogind (0.105-18+devuan2.4)

That removed libpolkit-backend-1-0-consolekit and libpolkit-gobject-1-0-systemd. I had to run 'pam-auth-update' and enable elogind to get shutdown buttons working again.

#6 2018-02-20 21:20:56

ff255

Excellent! Thank you.
I had this issue after Jessie > ASCII Beta dist-upgrade using Xfce desktop.
Could not mount disks and reboot/shutdown from xfce menu.

I think this info should be added to documentation "Upgrade from Devuan Jessie to Ascii"

Board footer