The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-21 14:32:21

miroR
Website

Keeping track of no-apt installs (installing out-of Devuan PM)

title (currently): Keeping track of no-apt installs (installing out-of Devuan package management)
---
PREEMPTIVE: Before jumping to give me advice how only modifying packages in the Devuan/Debian way is the sole way to go, pls. read at least the lines in the very bottom of this post.

Debian Reference
                             Osamu Aoki

Copyright © 2013 Osamu Aoki

the file in your Devuan machine (of course in Debian and other derivatives of Debian as well), being:
/usr/share/debian-reference/debian-reference.en.txt.gz, if you have:

# apt-file list debian-reference-en
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/apa.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/ch01.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/ch02.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/ch03.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/ch04.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/ch05.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/ch06.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/ch07.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/ch08.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/ch09.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/ch10.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/ch11.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/ch12.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/debian-reference.en.epub
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/debian-reference.en.pdf
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/debian-reference.en.txt.gz
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/index.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/debian-reference/pr01.en.html
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/doc-base/debian-reference-en
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/doc/debian-reference-en/README
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/doc/debian-reference-en/changelog.gz
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/doc/debian-reference-en/copyright
debian-reference-en: /usr/share/doc/debian-reference-en/docs
#

... if you have debian-reference-en installed (probably installs with apt-get install debian-reference).

This Debian Reference (v2) (2017-09-18 15:42:22 UTC) is intended
    to provide a broad overview of the Debian system as a

It's in my Ceres Devuan system, to which it perfectly applies. Devuan is still just
a corrected version of Debian (systemDestruction free smile, I just have to express
my joy for my init-freedom, if any of the Debianers/Ubuntuers are reading. I
couldn't live with that ugly beheemoth like you do, and here we've been given
our Unix back. And added to that, as a perfect shiny cherry on top, cherry colored nicely almost like the
Devuan themes, I can have a fully functioning sans-dbus system. I followed:
https://git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgra … tall-guide
https://git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgra … minimalism
https://git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgra … thout-dbus
and I gave the (kind of) my system history of how I did it at:

sans-dbus, Questions, Tips and Tricks on its Implementation
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=761
(where find, esp. in today's post of mine:
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=761#p6831 what (currently) might be missing from dev1fanboy's wiki (and I've just notified him of it by a PM having found him on this Forum).

which I'm afraid is not available easily in any other GNU/Linux distro. Very
satisfying. Best, to my taste!

But let's cite some more from Osamu Aoki's book.

2. Debian package management

2.1. Debian package management prerequisites

2.1.2. Basic precautions

Warning

Read this:

Do not install packages from random mixture of suites. It
    probably breaks the package consistency which requires deep
    system management knowledge, such as compiler ABI, library
    version, interpreter features, etc.

Oops! Scary, ain't it... things that breakbpackage consistency and which require deep system management knowledge. That means knowledge about how dpkg and apt-get work.

I always like better command line tools, but you may like better aptitude or real GUI tools, not me.

I can claim I've figured those enough to (kind of) develop for me (and if anybody else wants to follow) the Air-Gap installing method for Devuan (sure would work for other Debian derivatives) that has, actually, recently saved my butt big time! Look up all the crashes in:

https://github.com/minipli/linux-unoffi … sec/issues
starting from
#13, and than all the way to #17, #18, #19, #20, #21.

Those crashes were a very bad nuissance, but thanks to my Air-Gap building and cloning the system for online use:
(
Air-Gapped Devuan Install, Tentative
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=746
)
, every time my system in the cloned-for-online machine was freshly cloned, the very bad nuissance would be vanishing, and peace and calm from the Air-Gapped was back!

I'm not saying the attack --because I'm sure that's what it is, nothing else explains it but that, and indications are galore to that-- can't be back, but unless the attacker would terribly apply, in the pretty costly manner: probably too expensive for even bigger subjects --and I hope those really big who could easily bear the expenditure, bringing that here because since we are speaking of intrusional control of people's machines I want to paint an integral picture, [I hope] they do not have me in their sights--, [but unless the attacker --given that he not be of the rare and really huge ones who could do it more easily-- but unless the attacker would terribly apply], the system won't get b0rked, not my Air-Gapped system, and consequently I'll always be able to clone it...

Ah, btw my systems are full disk encrypted:
Installing to existing partitions/mount? Full disk encrypt? Feedback.
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=559

Back to Osamu Aoki's book. So, not to break the package consistency of your system, you need to possess (if you want to do some kind of testing/experimenting/debugging with your system by installing programs from unstable/other/what-not sources):

system management knowledge, such as compiler ABI, library
    version, interpreter features, etc.

Library version is what I usually figure out still only intuitively, because our developers put enought information where needed so users like me find the info upon installing the software they provided for us. Interpreter features, that's Bash/Dash/Zsh, Perl, Python and stuff... Applies same: intuitively I can manage those correctly thanks to devs having provided info where due.

I'm making a complete introduction, so I'll leave this:

The newbie Debian system administrator should stay with the 
    stable release of Debian while applying only security updates. I
    mean that some of the following valid actions are better avoided,
    as a precaution, until you understand the Debian system very
    well. Here are some reminders.

for any occasionly hard learning and fast apprehending newbies if they are visiting here.

Oops! Scary, ain't it:

* Do not include testing or unstable in "/etc/apt/
        sources.list".

* Do not mix standard Debian with other non-Debian archives
        such as Ubuntu in "/etc/apt/sources.list".

Of course, we, Devuaners translate this to do not mix standard Devuan with other non-Devuan archives. My /etc/apt/sources.list is, of course, all set up for Devuan Ceres, by the way...

* Do not create "/etc/apt/preferences".

Nope! Of course I did create one. Similar like suggested by dev1fanboy in his guide (already linked above)
https://git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgra … tall-guide
(and other links from there) to get me a well-functioning sans-dbus system.

* Do not change default behavior of package management tools
        through configuration files without knowing their full
        impacts.

And this:   

* Do not install random packages by "dpkg -i <random_package>".

of course I do! And occasionally get others to do it smile :

Grsecurity/Pax installation on Devuan GNU/Linux
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=596
(where find the links to grsecunoff deb packages that I often provide).

But I haven't yet had any situation so bad that I needed to do either of the following:

* Do not ever install random packages by "dpkg --force-all -i
        <random_package>".

* Do not erase or alter files in "/var/lib/dpkg/".

Not yet, and it's good that I haven't.

Bu I'm providing all this introduction to make another research. I have done other researches as much less advanced user that I am now (mostly in Gentoo, in the past years).

And my years old request to get a sans-dbus option for Devuan users was met with (eventually) very kind and helpful response from Devuan leaders, to whom I have to thank again here for that option: that option continues to be fully viable in Devuan!

This is another (advanced-user level, but newbie-friendy) research, which I actually follow on my own footsteps in Gentoo (WARNING: the title is misleading as far as my contribution there, it's about installing outside Package Management System):
Need help creating ebuild for "lurker"
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-228582.html

So, finally, here's what the (the first few of the) next posts will be (mostly) about:

Re: Getmail and Maildrop tricked into delivering truncated emails
https://marc.info/?l=getmail&m=151328826313606&w=2

where find:

Charles Cazabon wrote:

Installing getmail from source is *very* easy.  It's not like building
LibreOffice or vlc or something wink

Mostly, because I'll also look back at another instance of out-of-devuan-pms, or no-apt (for short) install already in full swing in my system, first.

Well, yes, it is. It is easy... However, bearing in mind what cleverer people than me wrote about how to keep your system consistent... it is also not so very easy. I don't want my system to get files that it does not know about (meaning which DPKG and APT don't know about) without some sort of manual keeping track of those files, and of their consistent state...

I don't have two or three days to get familiar with the Package Management from zero onwards, which would be the best path to follow. If I were at that level, I'd be helping out maintaining a package here and there, but I'm not...

And, having been sick and unable to work which created a delay of some two days, I also can't keep the devs at Getmail waiting, who have been kind to start investigating my problem (although I'm pretty confident by the indications that I posted to the list that it was an attack; just go back from the link I gave you and aquaint yourself with my reasoning and my arguments on the case; and that it was an attack that is unlikely to repeat in any predictable fashion)...

Now, if anybody would have like to say: No! Go the Package Management way, the only way... Would be true only if whoever says so is quick enough to give me the tips how to do it in as little time (excluding this lengthy introduction) as I can do it in the (not yet written) next posts? Those devs are waiting for my reply...

Devs/testers/users of FOSS, what might be ahead for GNU/Linux after we lost PaX Team and spender? spender wrote:
https://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic … 699#p17127
Google made the choice to engage in underhanded competition against us with our own code...
grsecurity ripoff by Google, w/ Linus approval https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 … 4b.en.html

#2 2017-12-21 15:41:53

miroR
Website

Re: Keeping track of no-apt installs (installing out-of Devuan PM)

As I promised (or warned you; mind my verbosity... but I believe you can view it as being systematic, if you wink an eye wink ) a quick example of a deployed no-apt install.

I installed (it's still the latest at this time):  gradm-e9045c0.tar.gz which I got from https://cvsweb.grsecurity.net/ (which btw way, can be git clone'd, read "Git Checkout" at: https://grsecurity.net/cvs.php, and I installed it, basically, following the README:

$ cat gradm-e9045c0/README 
To install gradm with PAM support for special roles:

make
make install

To install gradm without PAM support:

make nopam
make install
$

Basically, because if I ran those make, make install commands, I would have to engage my future knowledge of forensic which I don't yet possess (joking: I may never reach such competence) to know exactly which files have been installed where after I ran the (if I ran it just so quickly) ill-fated make install.

With all due respect to the quick and easy make and make install (and their friends such as ./configure and others, depending on the package), I want to know where those install, and I want to be able to check their state. I'm not that advanced to check their state as well as Tripwire can check it, but a simple SHA256 sum of each file will do.

And so I had, previous to running the (following this method, it will not anymore be ill-fated) make install, I ran:

# find / -xdev -name '*' > FIND_$(date +%y%m%d_%H%M%S)

that gets you a huge listing of all files under / excluding, thanks to the -xdev flag, anything that's mounted on /, even /proc and /sys, and /run and likely more are excluded, as they should be.

Then I ran (now not to be ill-fated, and you're soon to see why) make install, and then, after having run it, I run the:

And simply diffing the FIND_xxx previous to make install with the FIND_xxx after it, I know exactly which files got installed. Details will follow, but for the latest Getmail package.

There's one caveat. If there existed a file with the same path and same name as the file that your make install installed, that file won't be in the diff...

Meaning, now that I have to (kind of) test this method with installing the latest Getmail, I'd say I am advised, and strongly, by the fact that some files would out of doubt end up not being in the diff, if I do not uninstall my currently installed instance of Getmail.

But before I start with Getmail, here's what I got with the diffing those for Gradm:

# cat /var/log/no-apt/gradm_171122_01.files
/sbin/gradm_pam
/sbin/grlearn
/sbin/gradm
/etc/udev/rules.d/80-grsec.rules
/etc/grsec/pw
/etc/grsec/learn_config
/etc/grsec/policy
/usr/share/man/man8/gradm.8
#

(DIGRESSION START because Gradm is a marvellous package done by a programmer of matchless skills... There's hardly anybody who understands Linux kernel, often so much better than Linus himself, than spender, esp. with regard to security... It's such sad news that we lost spender and PaX Team for FOSS, because of Goog the Schmoogle's ripoff of their code... Read and understand the link that's in all of my Debian Forum's posts --it was the same, or similar signature in every Gentoo Forums posts after the date that I applied it, but alas some people behave fascistically and had erased it... only my NGO's link is still there now... Read and understand the old Not-Invented-Here Linus' behavior when spender long time ago offered to help fix the kernel at: http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/39565.html ... And find more by following the links in my signiture here on Dev1Galaxy for more. DIGRESSION END)

And I also took:

# cat /var/log/no-apt/gradm_171122_01.files.sum 
618c6cf706b32eeda088e21285711e4826a0ee23f11dee9a371adc599c73ed58  /sbin/gradm_pam
988211e1505f9c1a021671dffa4eec4fcd46d74910b8c8048f902949284a03bd  /sbin/grlearn
8c541940aade2c2e454a2b1e542d8091d03d8fc208ff82b1694ab2cd5fde9d38  /sbin/gradm
a165ebda31ec3eca32aa8b06ab435df72be6ebaa2fc760ca89c83050ce9bcf37  /etc/udev/rules.d/80-grsec.rules
695fea6e88d577dd885fcb5a2c0a9c565b45d438716c7ff58b58b11ee67f31d3  /etc/grsec/pw
7cb517f3286078f1ed4ad8585b2a7222c79fe86230876990f554e48e66644959  /etc/grsec/learn_config
154924d3cb9c0e16821e45f77d02b2e7d26998ba76208903476534a639886c3b  /etc/grsec/policy
29e98a09b3de3eb36d57b1d9aa02c0645c453400d4867e54df85031ccd2bd3c4  /usr/share/man/man8/gradm.8
#

(which are unique to my system, just if some newbie is following here)
And these verify correctly:

# sha256sum -c /var/log/no-apt/gradm_171122_01.files.sum 
/sbin/gradm_pam: OK
/sbin/grlearn: OK
/sbin/gradm: OK
/etc/udev/rules.d/80-grsec.rules: OK
/etc/grsec/pw: OK
/etc/grsec/learn_config: OK
/etc/grsec/policy: FAILED
/usr/share/man/man8/gradm.8: OK
sha256sum: WARNING: 1 computed checksum did NOT match
#

The /etc/grsec/policy is something you build as you use it. This means all that is not supposed to have changed is as when I installed that package.

In the next post, the no-apt installation of Getmail.

Devs/testers/users of FOSS, what might be ahead for GNU/Linux after we lost PaX Team and spender? spender wrote:
Google made the choice to engage in underhanded competition against us with our own code...
grsecurity ripoff by Google, w/ Linus approval https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 … 4b.en.html

#3 2017-12-21 16:23:59

miroR
Website

Getmail now. Ah, I wrote wrong, in this post is first the apt-get remove'al of the install (old-version) Getmail.

First the uninstall. Of course, get the find's listing first. Unlike what I gave in the previous posts, seconds are better be there in the date timestamp. So run:

previous first. Then run:

# apt-get remove getmail4 |& tee /some/log/apt-get_remove_getmail4_$(date +%y%m%d_%H%M%S)
#

then run the

again. This diff of the two find's run:

# diff FIND_171221_155140  FIND_171221_155232
11548a11549
> /home/mr/LOG_/apt-get_remove_getmail4_171221_155156_gdOv
11676a11678
> /home/mr/FIND_171221_1552
90974d90975
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmail-4.54.0.egg-info
92211,92239d92211
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/utilities.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/__init__.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/__init__.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/destinations.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/filters.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/constants.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/destinations.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/message.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/logging.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/logging.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/message.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/utilities.py
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/filters.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/constants.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.pyc
< /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.py
147762,147780d147733
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/TODO
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/getmaildocs.css
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/README
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/troubleshooting.html
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/BUGS
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/faq.html
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/copyright
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/configuration.txt.gz
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/documentation.html
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/getmailrc-examples.gz
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/README.Debian
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/configuration.html
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/documentation.txt.gz
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/THANKS
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/changelog.gz
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/faq.txt.gz
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/changelog.Debian.gz
< /usr/share/doc/getmail4/troubleshooting.txt.gz
163682d163634
< /usr/share/man/man1/getmail_fetch.1.gz
163998d163949
< /usr/share/man/man1/getmail_mbox.1.gz
164768d164718
< /usr/share/man/man1/getmails.1.gz
165490d165439
< /usr/share/man/man1/getmail.1.gz
165567d165515
< /usr/share/man/man1/getmail_maildir.1.gz
171842d171789
< /usr/share/doc-base/getmail4
189200d189146
< /usr/bin/getmail_mbox
189230d189175
< /usr/bin/getmail
189528d189472
< /usr/bin/getmail_maildir
189792d189735
< /usr/bin/getmails
189875d189817
< /usr/bin/getmail_fetch
203573d203514
< /var/lib/dpkg/info/getmail4.list
205146d205086
< /var/lib/dpkg/info/getmail4.prerm
206826d206765
< /var/lib/dpkg/info/getmail4.postinst
208414d208352
< /var/lib/dpkg/info/getmail4.md5sums
#

has all the changes, but I'll stow it in:

# diff FIND_171221_155140  FIND_171221_155232  | grep '< ' | sed 's/< //' >> /var/log/no-apt/getmail_4.53.0-2_REMOVED.files
#

without those line numbers and without < of the previous listing of now noexistent files of the old getmail in the system.

I've stowed that listing in that /var/log/no-apt (that I had previously created when I had installed gradm):

# cat /var/log/no-apt/getmail_4.53.0-2_REMOVED.files
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmail-4.54.0.egg-info
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/utilities.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/__init__.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/__init__.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/destinations.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/filters.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/constants.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/destinations.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/message.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/logging.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/logging.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/message.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/utilities.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/filters.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/constants.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.py
/usr/share/doc/getmail4
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/TODO
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/getmaildocs.css
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/README
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/troubleshooting.html
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/BUGS
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/faq.html
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/copyright
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/configuration.txt.gz
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/documentation.html
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/getmailrc-examples.gz
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/configuration.html
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/documentation.txt.gz
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/THANKS
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/faq.txt.gz
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/getmail4/troubleshooting.txt.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/getmail_fetch.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/getmail_mbox.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/getmails.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/getmail.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/getmail_maildir.1.gz
/usr/share/doc-base/getmail4
/usr/bin/getmail_mbox
/usr/bin/getmail
/usr/bin/getmail_maildir
/usr/bin/getmails
/usr/bin/getmail_fetch
/var/lib/dpkg/info/getmail4.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/getmail4.prerm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/getmail4.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/getmail4.md5sums
#

to have it for troubleshooting in case something would still go wrong. Which I don't expect, but don't know.

We'll see, in the next post, when I install the latest Getmail.

#4 2017-12-21 17:59:23

miroR
Website

So, the too early promised installation of Getmail should finally follow here.

I got the package as I explained, and the README says:

getmail is Copyright (C) 1998-2009 Charles Cazabon.

To install:  getmail v.4 uses the standard Python distutils.  Do the following
  as a regular user:

python setup.py build

Then (probably as root), do:

python setup.py install

This will install the software as follows:

-the four scripts will be installed in <PREFIX>/bin/
    -the Python files will be installed under the site-packages directory of
     your Python installation (typically /usr/local/lib/pythonXXX or
     /usr/lib/pythonXXX, but may be elsewhere -- this is detected automatically)
    -the documentation will be installed under <PREFIX>/doc/getmail-<version>/
    -the man pages will be installed under <PREFIX>/man/

Of the listing of the removed getmail, in the text of the README I only do not see:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/getmail4.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/getmail4.prerm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/getmail4.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/getmail4.md5sums

but that's perfectly fine. Those are dpkg/apt -installed files, not Getmail per se.

Now this:

<PREFIX> is the directory Python was configured to install under (typically
  either /usr/local/ or /usr/, but may be another value).  See the file
  docs/documentation.html or docs/documentation.txt for details on installing
  files to directories other than these defaults.

I will reference just after I comment the rest of this README.

Taking not of this paragraph for possible later troubleshooting:

The four scripts included in the package (getmail, getmail_maildir,
getmail_mbox, and getmail_fetch) will have their "#!"-interpreter line
automatically modified to invoke the Python interpreter you run the setup
script with.  If you later remove this version of Python, and the newer version
does not provide a link to the interpreter with that name, you will have to
modify the scripts or re-run the setup.py script.

And I'll reread the rest of this README here under later, once I have Getmail installed in the system, and listed like I have Gradm installed and listed and can check that its files are still in the correct state.

See the HTML documentation for details on setting up and using getmail.  It is
included in the docs subdirectory of the distribution tarball, and will be
installed in <PREFIX>/doc/getmail-<version>/ (by default).  10-second summary
for personal use:

1. Install getmail
  2. mkdir -m 700 ~/.getmail
  3. Create ~/.getmail/getmailrc by following the instructions.
  4. Run `getmail`.

See docs/BUGS for instructions on reporting bugs in this software.

And the line just above is for you go to shout and scream at smile Joking of course.

I've just commented this README, and now let's go to:

docs/documentation.html or docs/documentation.txt for details on installing
  files to directories other than these defaults.

which is:
http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/docu … -altprefix

containing (I don't like installing in /usr/local/ but the usual locations even when I install no-apt):

# python setup.py install --prefix=<path>

which means, I'd say, in my case (and generally for Devuan/Debian):

# python setup.py install --prefix=/usr

So first issue a new:

because I don't want no Pale Moon caches and stuff in the listing, I only want the changes that matter for my getmail listing in my /var/log/no-apt/ dir.

Then I enter where I decompressed the getmail package:

$ cd src/getmail-5.5/

and run:

mr@gdOv:~/src/getmail-5.5$ python setup.py build |& tee ~mr/LOG_/getmail_$(date +%y%m%d_%H%M%S)_python_setup.py_build

to get a log for troubleshooting if things go wrong for some reason.

This is what it got me:

mr@gdOv:~/src/getmail-5.5$ cat ~mr/LOG_/getmail_171221_164741_python_setup.py_build
running build
running build_py
creating build
creating build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7
creating build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/_pop3ssl.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/exceptions.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/imap_utf7.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/_retrieverbases.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/message.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/baseclasses.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/logging.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/filters.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/destinations.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/retrievers.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/compatibility.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/utilities.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
copying getmailcore/constants.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore
running build_scripts
creating build/scripts-2.7
copying and adjusting getmail -> build/scripts-2.7
copying and adjusting getmail_fetch -> build/scripts-2.7
copying and adjusting getmail_maildir -> build/scripts-2.7
copying and adjusting getmail_mbox -> build/scripts-2.7
changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/getmail from 644 to 755
changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/getmail_fetch from 644 to 755
changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/getmail_maildir from 644 to 755
changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/getmail_mbox from 644 to 755

Again the find run:

And I checked the two FIND_xxx's. Here:

# diff FIND_171221_164*
183a184
> /home/mr/FIND_171221_164908
11619a11621
> /home/mr/LOG_/getmail_171221_164741_python_setup.py_build
#

Something went wrong! What am I going to do now? wink Nothing is wrong. I just won't have the listing of files changed by that python script. The reason nothing is listed is because the ~mr/src is just:

$ ls -l ~mr/src
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mr mr 8 2017-12-21 16:42 /home/mr/src -> /Cmn/src
$

a symlink, and I got -xdev flag in the find command. All is still well.

And now:

root@gdOv:/home/mr/src/getmail-5.5# python setup.py install |& tee ~mr/LOG_/getmail_$(date +%y%m%d_%H%M%S)_python_setup.py_install

which got me (the log):

root@gdOv:/home/mr/src/getmail-5.5# cat /home/mr/LOG_/getmail_171221_165421_python_setup.py_install
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_scripts
running install_lib
creating /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/exceptions.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/imap_utf7.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/message.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/baseclasses.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/logging.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/__init__.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/filters.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/destinations.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/retrievers.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/compatibility.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/utilities.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/getmailcore/constants.py -> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.py to _pop3ssl.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.py to exceptions.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.py to imap_utf7.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.py to _retrieverbases.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/message.py to message.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.py to baseclasses.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/logging.py to logging.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/__init__.py to __init__.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/filters.py to filters.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/destinations.py to destinations.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.py to retrievers.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.py to compatibility.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/utilities.py to utilities.pyc
byte-compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/constants.py to constants.pyc
running install_scripts
copying build/scripts-2.7/getmail -> /usr/local/bin
copying build/scripts-2.7/getmail_mbox -> /usr/local/bin
copying build/scripts-2.7/getmail_fetch -> /usr/local/bin
copying build/scripts-2.7/getmail_maildir -> /usr/local/bin
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/getmail to 755
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/getmail_mbox to 755
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/getmail_fetch to 755
changing mode of /usr/local/bin/getmail_maildir to 755
running install_data
creating /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying ./README -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying ./getmail.spec -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/BUGS -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/COPYING -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/CHANGELOG -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/TODO -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/THANKS -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/configuration.html -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/configuration.txt -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/documentation.html -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/documentation.txt -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/faq.html -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/faq.txt -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/getmaildocs.css -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/getmailrc-examples -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/troubleshooting.html -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/troubleshooting.txt -> /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
copying docs/getmail.1 -> /usr/share/man/man1
copying docs/getmail_fetch.1 -> /usr/share/man/man1
copying docs/getmail_maildir.1 -> /usr/share/man/man1
copying docs/getmail_mbox.1 -> /usr/share/man/man1
running install_egg_info
Writing /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmail-5.5.egg-info

and the new files in the system under / are:

# diff FIND_171221_164908 FIND_171221_165641 | grep '> ' | sed 's/> //'
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmail-5.5.egg-info
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/utilities.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/__init__.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/__init__.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/destinations.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/filters.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/constants.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/destinations.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/message.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/logging.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/logging.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/message.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/utilities.py
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/filters.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/constants.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.py
/usr/local/bin/getmail_mbox
/usr/local/bin/getmail
/usr/local/bin/getmail_maildir
/usr/local/bin/getmail_fetch
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/TODO
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/troubleshooting.txt
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/documentation.txt
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/faq.txt
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/getmailrc-examples
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/getmail.spec
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/getmaildocs.css
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/README
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/troubleshooting.html
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/BUGS
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/configuration.txt
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/faq.html
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/CHANGELOG
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/documentation.html
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/configuration.html
/usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/THANKS
/usr/share/man/man1/getmail_maildir.1
/usr/share/man/man1/getmail_mbox.1
/usr/share/man/man1/getmail.1
/usr/share/man/man1/getmail_fetch.1

But I forgot to give it the --prefix=/usr flag. And this, while probably not really wrong, is not to my liking.

So I saved that to:

# diff FIND_171221_164908 FIND_171221_165641 | grep '> ' | sed 's/> //' > TMP

and ran:

# rm -v $(cat TMP)
# rmdir -v $(cat TMP)

( and find runs previous and afterwards, and I can tell you I'm at the state pretty much clearly at before the install without the --prefix=/usr .

These:

# diff FIND_171221_170048  FIND_171221_170119 | grep '< ' | sed 's/< //'
/usr/local/bin/getmail
/usr/local/bin/getmail

must not be there anymore:

root@gdOv:/home/mr# for i in $(cat TMP.ls-1); do if [ -e "$i" ] ; then ls -l $i ; fi ;  done ;
root@gdOv:/home/mr# 

And they're not.
Now (I hope) more correctly:

root@gdOv:/home/mr/src/getmail-5.5# python setup.py install --prefix=/usr |& tee ~mr/LOG_/getmail_$(date +%y%m%d_%H%M%S)_python_setup.py_install_prefix_usr

( in this output I manually deleting the norelated stuff such as the line

/var/lib/clamav/clamav-f57f9106483b495ef8877d9d2fde2ab5.tmp

because Clamav attemped to get updated, and I cut the connection while it was doing so, at my earlier looking for the docs on pyropus.ca to find the right line to get --prefix=/usr

/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmail-5.5-py2.7.egg-info
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/utilities.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/__init__.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/__init__.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/destinations.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/filters.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/constants.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/destinations.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/message.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/logging.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/logging.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/message.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/utilities.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/filters.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/constants.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.py
/usr/bin/getmail_mbox
/usr/bin/getmail
/usr/bin/getmail_maildir
/usr/bin/getmail_fetch

And if these files are installed, I can check every one of them, such as with a loop like this:

Ooopss... Have to interrupt me. I can't yet... Wait...

No. I can't yet... For some reason:

mr@gdOv:~$ getmail --version
ImportError:  No module named getmailcore
mr@gdOv:~$

something has gone wrong...

Let me see. It could be the grsec. It's much greater protection, but it is a little more difficult to manage than usual and more vulnerable system...

I'll try and see in the logs.

No, nothing, not " denied " or "segmentation fault" or similar lines typical for when grsec identifies a problem, or hasn't got a perm for something because of insufficiently well setup policy with its gradm package that allows great RBAC (Role Based Access) control.

It apparently was just this. In the Devuan package it is:

# cat /var/log/no-apt/getmail_4.53.0-2_REMOVED.files
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmail-4.54.0.egg-info

But in this from source install it is:

After copying the new from source to the /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/, it is now working... How well, yet to learn... Phew! But it's so good to have a backup to go to smile ... Even if this should fail, it's just time, my system can't --well, not easily-- be lost.

So, what I did was just something to the effect of:

# cp -ai /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmail* /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/

and now I got:

mr@gdOv:~$ getmail --version
getmail 5.5
mr@gdOv:~$

Hmmmhhh. Do I know that it will work? Not yet... But let me (even with the doubled site-packages/ and dist-packages/ above --because hey, better too much than too little, and I will ask the devs if any non-advanced user would so easily figured out how to fix the scary ImportError:  No module named getmailcore error above... No I won't, let them read about it themselves smile . But let's first save the listing of those files, and save the hashes before I go online to get my mail the way Getmail devs need to check on my report.

# diff FIND_171221_171149  FIND_171221_174159  | grep -v moonchild | grep -v '\/home\/mr\/' | grep -v clamav | grep '> ' | sed 's/> //' > /var/log/no-apt/getmail_5.5.files

And

# cat /var/log/no-apt/getmail_5.5.files
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmail-5.5-py2.7.egg-info
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/__init__.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/__init__.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/destinations.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/filters.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/constants.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/destinations.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/message.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/logging.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/logging.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/message.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/utilities.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/filters.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/constants.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/__init__.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/__init__.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/destinations.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/filters.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/constants.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/destinations.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/message.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/logging.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/logging.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/message.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/utilities.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/filters.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/constants.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.py
/usr/bin/getmail_mbox
/usr/bin/getmail
/usr/bin/getmail_maildir
/usr/bin/getmail_fetch
#

That's listed, but it needs to be hashed now, else how could I verify none of these files has been modified some later time in the future? So:

# for i in $(cat /var/log/no-apt/getmail_5.5.files); do if [ ! -d "$i" ]; then sha256sum $i >> /var/log/no-apt/getmail_5.5.files.sum ; fi ; done

which ran quickly, it's a lightweight package. And I got (just so newbies may figure out more easily):

# cat /var/log/no-apt/getmail_5.5.files.sum
6b728dc21586d609a4ef3e4658166c8d345d1a8070d58992ae6c1103309a1d74  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmail-5.5-py2.7.egg-info
ed7fbfc1c821a7fbe59185f2a5330433b66d3695d2448b41aa0645c7111da72a  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/utilities.pyc
3f95f910f5f12a1f5274996545878f5c08ea030661b8a6eae06423dd6826aaca  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.pyc
bb1ed345b2e70984a15ba22d6d5981eff2644cb2775e3e89af29b779fa9e863a  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.pyc
773609b22757160fa6359f83fb48c5a6440cb3b1ec2d8b98096c6f96cb9cdab5  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/__init__.pyc
f88c0b00c05797b46079539ec2ec00f27eb95a0f8997337079de2bafd0c48c91  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.py
eb97d055cdeab22dd39a98b97f6e8c35729890caa0f07c7e573a7aa4c8e86f6d  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.py
0bee689ccfdc53650f792c186bad6b96f8338e8bb6215a8d81aa6b61935ce164  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/__init__.py
bee756ff99f16a1a98b5116226c3643dd548ecfbf11f92caec45b70e0f05a4f4  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/destinations.pyc
8d33306063e7c0edcd68a73008d46e4caa4eae3bdf1c56af2de033f96eabd490  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/filters.py
18458fe891179bc2473f0b815e1836153a98df0c3127ce56ba50da55c117f954  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/constants.py
1a7102e53fc25e45dc3436c3826fe46fb1e026833aea0cb90f318f111cf54114  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.py
55ee9e9cd4b6649f0601afa4790330d7c0837751a0047689d6eef6cc0ef44cef  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.pyc
b3d4b421e681ffa854f657b2f6496b70b7162bd49df0e3baad88c5aab6adfc76  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/destinations.py
36e114c74d8a19270e11167e264424a25b3f64fc37783289fb1480a7210f685d  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/message.py
7eb3a5c0de1c6f004cdb379f49dd83b1927e9c76897603463cd0bb7d7fd5aceb  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/logging.py
13591983a425fa343e2c94a5b88ecb94d745d02e5d87c6d4aec38833c89c2332  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/logging.pyc
e0c6b69695163f23ea168add59a5157957302794be1d4658d85f760ebcc17940  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.pyc
25a19e9442d6205f480d08e04cd9d7816dbf7cee078bf492753cac0fce663d72  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/message.pyc
743fa20982994ec534fc12a4e8c312803d4ff7ecbd230312dd8039792be1bbb1  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.py
d857d799de71e1d79f77ccd3a850f92c3b9f4f07b277b2a9360dc8664bd323fc  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.pyc
00a8ed17817adbaae109d2e701f7fe81ffb5f740671856b3085a521335b5770a  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.py
4a46a4424cc1bd3c2c5869b47d65f20eb910c2f80f4ef019875d6859926fa14c  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.py
8b1946ab7e942b851210ad6c23deb9313ac0f97df307e15db6a2a96be2770bb6  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/utilities.py
e05482a7df48437b39e58a1276f3ba57ec7b43b73b0cc150de792f58c52e5282  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/filters.pyc
a7ed48ee5c5bc86ded2b91524f19b0b15e9a592534bc6e7ad3d5334e55a5dda0  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/constants.pyc
f5551a556622ec38900c9822c9232cd75f72ef06284e64baca44926aeeb347cb  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.pyc
e2eeebcd935696219891bcdb8fac77884cd11429dc598c8531c14ce49f622ed9  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.pyc
523307adad71ccec9c90c51c552ab52539498605a9c47a6156421a5de13db8c3  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.py
6b728dc21586d609a4ef3e4658166c8d345d1a8070d58992ae6c1103309a1d74  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmail-5.5-py2.7.egg-info
ed7fbfc1c821a7fbe59185f2a5330433b66d3695d2448b41aa0645c7111da72a  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/utilities.pyc
3f95f910f5f12a1f5274996545878f5c08ea030661b8a6eae06423dd6826aaca  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.pyc
bb1ed345b2e70984a15ba22d6d5981eff2644cb2775e3e89af29b779fa9e863a  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.pyc
773609b22757160fa6359f83fb48c5a6440cb3b1ec2d8b98096c6f96cb9cdab5  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/__init__.pyc
f88c0b00c05797b46079539ec2ec00f27eb95a0f8997337079de2bafd0c48c91  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/compatibility.py
eb97d055cdeab22dd39a98b97f6e8c35729890caa0f07c7e573a7aa4c8e86f6d  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.py
0bee689ccfdc53650f792c186bad6b96f8338e8bb6215a8d81aa6b61935ce164  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/__init__.py
bee756ff99f16a1a98b5116226c3643dd548ecfbf11f92caec45b70e0f05a4f4  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/destinations.pyc
8d33306063e7c0edcd68a73008d46e4caa4eae3bdf1c56af2de033f96eabd490  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/filters.py
18458fe891179bc2473f0b815e1836153a98df0c3127ce56ba50da55c117f954  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/constants.py
1a7102e53fc25e45dc3436c3826fe46fb1e026833aea0cb90f318f111cf54114  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.py
55ee9e9cd4b6649f0601afa4790330d7c0837751a0047689d6eef6cc0ef44cef  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.pyc
b3d4b421e681ffa854f657b2f6496b70b7162bd49df0e3baad88c5aab6adfc76  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/destinations.py
36e114c74d8a19270e11167e264424a25b3f64fc37783289fb1480a7210f685d  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/message.py
7eb3a5c0de1c6f004cdb379f49dd83b1927e9c76897603463cd0bb7d7fd5aceb  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/logging.py
13591983a425fa343e2c94a5b88ecb94d745d02e5d87c6d4aec38833c89c2332  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/logging.pyc
e0c6b69695163f23ea168add59a5157957302794be1d4658d85f760ebcc17940  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.pyc
25a19e9442d6205f480d08e04cd9d7816dbf7cee078bf492753cac0fce663d72  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/message.pyc
743fa20982994ec534fc12a4e8c312803d4ff7ecbd230312dd8039792be1bbb1  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.py
d857d799de71e1d79f77ccd3a850f92c3b9f4f07b277b2a9360dc8664bd323fc  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/retrievers.pyc
00a8ed17817adbaae109d2e701f7fe81ffb5f740671856b3085a521335b5770a  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/exceptions.py
4a46a4424cc1bd3c2c5869b47d65f20eb910c2f80f4ef019875d6859926fa14c  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.py
8b1946ab7e942b851210ad6c23deb9313ac0f97df307e15db6a2a96be2770bb6  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/utilities.py
e05482a7df48437b39e58a1276f3ba57ec7b43b73b0cc150de792f58c52e5282  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/filters.pyc
a7ed48ee5c5bc86ded2b91524f19b0b15e9a592534bc6e7ad3d5334e55a5dda0  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/constants.pyc
f5551a556622ec38900c9822c9232cd75f72ef06284e64baca44926aeeb347cb  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/imap_utf7.pyc
e2eeebcd935696219891bcdb8fac77884cd11429dc598c8531c14ce49f622ed9  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/_retrieverbases.pyc
523307adad71ccec9c90c51c552ab52539498605a9c47a6156421a5de13db8c3  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore/baseclasses.py
f1595f78375b79eac7f6f5d36b2adaa972bf5d3f10d1785ac31b699e6c73b62f  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/TODO
cd1e837c0ad6b038626050c8113007b02240ac4e728754a84f97e2a12bc531e9  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/troubleshooting.txt
618710632ae777b298fdd96c970d76f84747d1e1532b6c7dfc7aa2c3d606b27a  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/documentation.txt
25e4b376d0e3a489363d805ef35367021a4050fd3eaa150a0da40e68e2805d8b  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/faq.txt
953faed07d2fa34807ab1c2558fcf48d4d1c67d4424565c6c103fa7dd57c4062  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/getmailrc-examples
8844130f888a50a900a94fdda9236a83c686890f873922c678677e0c995dd588  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/getmail.spec
13af6c26edd192237802d715393c8adcaf1f4339676237eaccdbcd04cd912b78  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/getmaildocs.css
76a4a6a0305751e5f5be1c63904172e873cb41d53637cdc3336117fda4f0ba39  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/README
4a784d2cd73f1424a76fe1d605d81da25ea9861cf2c0b9391b2b0954957a887e  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/troubleshooting.html
8177f97513213526df2cf6184d8ff986c675afb514d4e68a404010521b880643  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/COPYING
935f5a8907a8480562fc93e5237aefab7c3816463bf8cab3a06a39f143d29291  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/BUGS
53018c17d00509873e835a9bb5c23bf47ff413cc9716613d97d4f353113e8049  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/configuration.txt
c2d22573a3d8fc82c5e2da43d3276cee7b7195739f3987fd001753e9a9cac175  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/faq.html
cca40b8fc5a9c8b4590530c1c471090e043bd728d8ed06709118bcf344111459  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/CHANGELOG
ef1976feba848fca26d97a6a6006dd4b0125adf700c31ca141af561567ebd4da  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/documentation.html
40e2094618b1f58e9e81cf3efc6672fc7c6bf86f4415c980cae642349f3b04c8  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/configuration.html
d0b26fd248b4e8ae6822d6ec2cc44d9dd0584dc49eb2b4325051fd540efc2bf3  /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5/THANKS
548ca9289d4ce0c979e8e0dde4e85bb5a97e5d298d75556b3a20891112b25411  /usr/share/man/man1/getmail_maildir.1
29da736bad948252537f4520f0624fd90be5cdf9e65807430b70f572a219a827  /usr/share/man/man1/getmail_mbox.1
7ec7bf2c06cd04990261797141e685238d1a43e7ed026c0eaddcda84c8e21e65  /usr/share/man/man1/getmail.1
ebed55848082f53bd2f48d5d204e6c9b54d934a66715b1b78d79cc6ec642ffe6  /usr/share/man/man1/getmail_fetch.1
6b20428151eee3c4661fabb8acdafd615c0dcd7b9c0ff06336aaa4b99799af79  /usr/bin/getmail_mbox
04cfb870dbf73217c71e8746a2c36233c673a68eaa8635056074e1d2bfa0af98  /usr/bin/getmail
977a97233b042c74d7dcae25585d1638616934b0250d6226463ff4ceb5408265  /usr/bin/getmail_maildir
c351e9fc1f6a632c2482ff5dbd44d4a6e4707d5eda1ad9a8995147f23d11cd94  /usr/bin/getmail_fetch

which, again, is pertaining to my install only.

It you count the lines, all should correspond, barring these four dirs:

# for i in $(cat /var/log/no-apt/getmail_5.5.files); do if [ -d "$i" ]; then ls -ld $i  ; fi ; done 
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2017-12-21 17:12 /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2017-12-21 17:12 /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2017-12-21 17:12 /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/getmailcore
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2017-12-21 17:12 /usr/share/doc/getmail-5.5
#

the rest are files. So the  /var/log/no-apt/getmail_5.5.files should have 4 lines more than /var/log/no-apt/getmail_5.5.files.sum. Is that so:

# wc -l /var/log/no-apt/getmail_5.5.files*
   87 /var/log/no-apt/getmail_5.5.files
   83 /var/log/no-apt/getmail_5.5.files.sum
  170 total
#

Yes it is... And more, but the point has been done.

And only now I can try and use getmail... In the next post I'll report, or just give the link to my email to Getmail ML.

Last edited by miroR (2017-12-21 17:59:57)

#5 2017-12-21 19:30:48

miroR
Website

Here's the email that I sent:
https://marc.info/?l=getmail&m=151388419504433&w=2

And the attachment to that email, the link under this string (in bottom)
["getmail_171221_180802_gdOv.log.xz" (application/x-xz)]
https://marc.info/?l=getmail&m=151388419504433&q=p5
for whoever cares to check it, show how my Getmail 5.5 works, apparently, so far, just fine.

#6 2017-12-21 19:53:12

miroR
Website

Regarding these hashes of files in my cloned system for online:

miroR wrote:

# cat /var/log/no-apt/getmail_5.5.files.sum
6b728dc21586d609a4ef3e4658166c8d345d1a8070d58992ae6c1103309a1d74  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmail-5.5-py2.7.egg-info
ed7fbfc1c821a7fbe59185f2a5330433b66d3695d2448b41aa0645c7111da72a  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/utilities.pyc
3f95f910f5f12a1f5274996545878f5c08ea030661b8a6eae06423dd6826aaca  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/getmailcore/_pop3ssl.pyc
04cfb870dbf73217c71e8746a2c36233c673a68eaa8635056074e1d2bfa0af98  /usr/bin/getmail
977a97233b042c74d7dcae25585d1638616934b0250d6226463ff4ceb5408265  /usr/bin/getmail_maildir
c351e9fc1f6a632c2482ff5dbd44d4a6e4707d5eda1ad9a8995147f23d11cd94  /usr/bin/getmail_fetch

Not only are these pertaining to my install only. They are also pertaining only to this in-the-clone and not in-the-Air-Gap system.

Read:
Updating the Air-Gapped System
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=763
to learn about the drawbacks of Air-Gapping. A number of things like this one, have to be replicated in the Air-Gap... Aarrghh... But when I think how good it is to be confident of your backup, plus the abilitiy to recover your systems from attacks... Then I can still enjoy doing it again. It's simply worth the while.

Last edited by miroR (2017-12-21 19:54:30)

Board footer