The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-03 19:14:44

naturalcynic

Trouble with install

Hi guys im new to linux (former windows 7) and ive been trying to install devuan for the past 5 days and have been unsuccessful. first i tried netinstall which was unsuccessful due to missing iwlwifi-6000g2a-5 and -6 firmware which i extracted into the firmware folder and still got the same error and because of this the mirrors didnt work. next i tried the desktop download which worked on the usb. i then tried to download it to the harddrive via the refracta which installed, then i set up the bios to boot from the harddrive which then went to a black screen. Then i tried using rufus instead of unetbootin which now the usb drive wont pop up at all when i try to boot from the usb now. im not very experienced with linux and was wondering what im doing wrong? any help would be appreciated. thank you in advance for your help.

#2 2017-12-04 02:21:05

F_Sauce

Re: Trouble with install

Hello.

Just a suggestion, but what I would do is to download the full DVD image, copy it to the USB (bootable), boot from the stick and follow the graphical install procedure; the DVD image has a more comprehensive set of packages than the desktop live image so might help to solve the WIFI issue; and in any case, you could install Devuan first and then proceed to solve the NIC next; also, in my experience, using a physical connection during install time/OS set-up is usually a trouble-free path to take, so you might consider that too if the option is available.

I didn't quite understand what you explained you already tried though, so I might have missed something.

Good luck!

Olav

#3 2017-12-04 02:25:02

fsmithred
Administrator

I've heard a few other people who had trouble with rufus. Try rawrite:
http://www.netbsd.org/~martin/rawrite32/

The wireless firmware package that you need is already installed in the live isos. What error message did you get, and what did you do to get that message?

Can you use a wire for the install instead of wireless? Sometimes it's easier to set up the wireless after you get the system installed.

#4 2017-12-04 02:40:16

naturalcynic

i used the dvd iso and it worked but it still says the firmware iwlwifi6000-g2a-5.ucode and iwlwifi6000-g2a-6.ucode are missing from the install for my intel wirelss cad in the thinkpad x220. i tried to install the iwlwifi package on the install software (forget the name) and it just tells me to insert a cd with the software.

#5 2017-12-04 03:26:10

F_Sauce

i tried to install the iwlwifi package on the install software (forget the name) and it just tells me to insert a cd with the software.

If you use Synaptic, the package manager, go in and disable (untick) the DVD as an installation repo: Settings → Repositories

Or do it manually, edit /etc/apt/sources.list.
  Put a hash sign in front of the DVD source line as in the example below:
     from this  →        deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.5.0 _Jessie_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20160604-15:35]/ jessie main contrib
     to this      →     # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.5.0 _Jessie_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20160604-15:35]/ jessie main contrib

Last edited by F_Sauce (2017-12-04 03:35:28)

#6 2017-12-04 03:37:46

naturalcynic

I'll do that right now. Thank you very much. You guys are awesome and super helpful for a newcomer such as myself.

#7 2017-12-04 03:56:58

F_Sauce

I'm sorry, slightly tired now; my reply actually presupposes you are wired now, are you?
Otherwise you will not be able to connect to those repos available online.

I remember having this DVD issue myself, and if I remember correctly I just typed in 'cdrom' in the Synaptic dialogue box when it asked for a cdrom with the software.

Last edited by F_Sauce (2017-12-04 04:02:58)

#8 2017-12-04 23:29:54

naturalcynic

yes im currently i deleted the cd as repo and clicked all the devuan and debian mirrors and now the package doesnt show up is there a way to add the usb stick once inserted as a repo?

#9 2017-12-05 00:06:07

F_Sauce

Would you post your «sources.list» here.

By the way, the USB stick image will be labelled as a CD image; so the CD image you disabled might be your USB stick, if that was your install source.

#10 2017-12-05 14:57:39

fsmithred
Administrator

Don't use debian mirrors in your sources.list (or in synaptic). Only use devuan.
Make sure you have non-free repos enabled.
Update (Reload? I forget what it says in synaptic)
Install firmware-iwlwifi

That one usually works for me without a reboot. Usually.

#11 2017-12-06 20:21:34

oui

Hi Fsmithred

You know (from my last topics), I have analog problems.

I did reinstall Devuan, this time 32 bit, netinstall, wired, from the netinstall iso, in both case the expert installation hopping I would can select a wide choice of installation.

And I did constate:

a. the net install iso includes both, both good working!, options wired and wlan/wifi.

I did install 2 times. The first one was perfect, but it was not possible for me to restart after reboot the wifi... :-((

I did reinstall and did try to install first netinstall, and after that not wired again, and so more (hopping the installer would install both) but nothing to do, only wired start is possible after reboot! It is idiotic... at installation's time, wlan/wifi works, after that nothing more...

b. same thing concerning available fonts! the installer knows the fonts of all the world. after installation, nothing more. and if you want to see a page in Korean, Tamil etc., no way! Why? A simple selection box: "select a spare choice of all those fonts" or "select and install both network solutions would really help ALL USERS having more than a really simple and primitive installation! my network box is an old installation directly on my work desk since about 20 years ago, no problem if I must connect first wired. but I leave in the past if I can't connect me today an an other place in the house! why have I an wlan today?!?

Last edited by oui (2017-12-06 20:22:23)

Board footer