The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-14 19:01:06

rdlab

I look for Devuan VPS hosting and how to install it.

I look for help with two tips:

1. a professional Devuan VPS hosting provider? (Google only Debian ones when I ask for Devuan...)

2. a step by step guide I can trust and follow to install that VPS from the mail of the hosting provider telling me the VPS is ready until I can access its apache  host.

Two needs that may seem basic but I do not know how to address. I am probably not alone ...

THANK YOU !!!!

#2 2017-08-15 10:33:30

nixer

Re: I look for Devuan VPS hosting and how to install it.

This is only one idea and I am sure that there are other solutions just as easy. Also, do a search as I do recall a post just a few weeks ago (maybe longer), where someone prepared a devuan install disk for a VPS provider.  I use vultr.com as my main vps provider but have used others.  My reply will deal mostly with them. 

Your first solution might be to use their devuan iso install which is provided from their software library.  Or, you can use their "Custom ISO" method where you build your own in a container like virtualbox, use refracta tools to make an installable copy, upload that iso to your vultr account and finally, boot into that iso and install into your vps.  It really is easy.  It installs flawlessly and is immediately available just like you would expect it to be.

A good walk-through for vultr, https://odinsql.com/2015/04/walk-throug … s-hosting/

If you do not want to trust their iso install disk provided in their library of install options, then you can simply upload the devuan mini.iso (or any other disk) through the custom iso option and install from there.

When you create an account at your chosen vps provider, there will probably be a "dashboard" of some kind where you will have the option of using vnc to see the "physical" terminal like you are sitting at the monitor.  Then you should have the option to start/stop/reboot the server from the account area.  Warning, it is probably best to stop a running vps from the command line, but I have not had a problem with this before.  The vps should be ready to use in just a few minutes.

I know that vultr, digital ocean, and linode (I think) has this dashboard and I believe it is a standard procedure from most vps providers now.  With a "dashboard" such as this, you do not need to wait for an email from the provider.  You can see the install working through the "dashboard" or possibly through the provided vnc terminal.

Another option is to start with a debian wheezy install, change the sources.list file, run "apt-get update", run "apt-get install devuan-keyring", and finally "apt-get dist-upgrade".  Then you will have a devuan install.  I have done this several times and it really is just this easy.

One more thing about vultr.com, look closely at their packages offered and choose carefully based on what you want.  They have, depending on the desired location, a 512 ram option for $2.50 a month, and this is a pretty good starting point to "play" with a vps.  It will not break the bank and they may offer a discount for a month or two.  Vultr is known to use pretty fast hardware but anything using cpu intensive tasks, like encryption, slows it down.  Another option is the "Storage Instance", it looks pretty good, but it is quite a bit slower, especially for anything which needs authenticating.  Really, in my opinion, the Storage Instance is not something you would want to run a web server from, just storage.

For Your Information... If you start an "Instance" (their word for a vps server) in the New Jersey datacenter, they are also offering a "block storage" capability for free while under beta testing.  This is a 10gb addition to the storage capability and you can go up to 50gb for little additional charge. 

What you want to do, I think, is easier than you think.  This is why some providers may offer a one month free just to get you started.  Good luck and I hope this helps.

Edit:  spelling correction

Last edited by nixer (2017-08-15 10:38:02)

#3 2017-08-24 12:56:02

rdlab

Thank you !
I was on vacations and I am going to work on it.
By the way, just in case, would you be a consultant/freelancer - if this is permitted to discuss that on the forum.

#4 2017-08-24 14:14:10

nixer

would you be a consultant/freelancer

Well yes, I do it for others, but really, it all depends on what you want to do.  Paid Consulting should not be discussed in a public forum, in my opinion.  However, if all you want to do is install a vps, especially vultr.com, then it is just as easy as installing it in a virtual machine (virtualbox, vmware, etc.).  After installation, then you simply configure it to do what you wish.  It really is the same as building a physical system in your presence.  If you don't try, then you will never be successful.

If you want assistance with installing a vps, then please ask your questions here.  There are others on here who know a lot more than I do about vps's.  Even configuring it is public knowledge, so go ahead and ask.  However, be careful with security as there is a fine line between general security practices and your particular security practices.  For example, general security questions are fine but you should not post the ip address or any keys to your vps.

Step one is to choose a vps provider that you wish to use.  Step two is to choose an operating system that you wish to use.  The OS can be Devuan or Debian wheezy (preferably).  Debian Jessie is okay but I have updated both and I think that it is easier to update debian wheezy to devuan jessie. 

To repeat from the previous post, if you are going to use vultr.com, then the easiest way to get the most out of your vps is to build and configure it locally, then use refracta-tools to make a copy of it, then upload it to your vultr account.  Once uploaded, you can then install it.  The link in the previous post has screenshots on how to do install from a "Custom ISO".

#5 2017-09-04 08:15:28

rdlab

I sent you an offline mail to follow on this after some delays with my Vultr account. Did you receive it?

#6 2017-09-04 09:01:08

fungus
Website

rdlab wrote:

I sent you an offline mail to follow on this after some delays with my Vultr account. Did you receive it?

I didn't get any

Board footer