The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-08 11:02:04

mrshll
Website

Will the netinstall (daedalus) install nonfree wifi drivers for me?

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade to daedalus via fresh install on both my machines. When installing Chimera originally, I used the Live Desktop installer but I'm going down the netinstall route this time so it's a little different for me. My laptop's wifi drivers are nonfree, and they were included in the Chimera live desktop installer. The netinstall is asking for an external medium with the drivers, which indicates they're not on the netinstall disc.

If I connect my wifi to an ethernet adapter and complete the install, will the netinstall automatically fetch and install my wifi drivers, or is this something I should expect to need to do manually e.g. via apt? If so, any advice on discovering/selecting the correct packages would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2023-12-08 11:29:16

rolfie

Re: Will the netinstall (daedalus) install nonfree wifi drivers for me?

Well, the netinstall is meant for computers which have a working (wired) network connection to download everything that is not on this small media. So if the wifi requires drivers most likely they are not included. You either need to use the CD or DVD version, or identify the chip used.

Please run and poste output here. inxi could be an alternative.

# lspci | grep network
# lsusb | grep network
# inxi -Fz

#3 2023-12-08 11:36:08

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

All installer ISO include (on the ISO) all firmware available in the repositories.

Choose the "1 Install" method.

#4 2023-12-08 12:49:26

mrshll
Website

Thanks both for the replies.

Well, the netinstall is meant for computers which have a working (wired) network connection to download everything that is not on this small media. So if the wifi requires drivers most likely they are not included. You either need to use the CD or DVD version, or identify the chip used.

Thanks for the clarity on this! I have access to a wired connection via an adapter, so is it recommended that I continue with the netinstall and then just install the nonfree firmware from the repos? Or should I default to using the Live Desktop or the Desktop installer which comes bundled with the firmware already? I'm aiming for a slim install so that's why I've initially went down the netinstall route.

In any case, I'll run the lspci command on my current install and report back here :-)

All installer ISO include (on the ISO) all firmware available in the repositories.

Choose the "1 Install" method.

Thanks for this. I think I'll be getting it from the repos, I was just confused as to whether the netinstall would handle installing the proper firmware for me (ie if it was bundled already or not), but it looks like I'll just be nabbing it from the repos!

Board footer