The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-22 21:02:20

oui

an idea how2 start the installation's ISO from Debian/Devuan from RAM?

In the last time, I work intensively to repeat the official installation's process from Debian, also used from Devuan, to create starting Refractasnapshots to install really comfortable with Refractainstaller.

The inertia of the official Debian installation way really brings to despair ... Hence the idea that if you would start the Debian installation ISO file from the RAM, it would be much more pleasant as all would be shorter excepted the time you, yourself, need to answer through the keyboard (unfortunately, the Debian installer is too stupid after decades to read the data from a file like a *.cfg file... So sees Debian the future of computer usage!). And Refracta as well as Calamares don't offer a better solution ;-) ...

How to do that if possible?

#2 2023-11-22 21:53:31

oui

Re: an idea how2 start the installation's ISO from Debian/Devuan from RAM?

Yes, I know, it would probably be better for me to start using debootstrap but I remember a lot of time required to setup the right settings after the installation and I would like to set up so,  that not only my situation is taking in consideration but so that I can transmit later the snapshot.iso to other and that is a next job!

perhaps better with that: https://manpages.org/grml-debootstrap/8 ?

#3 2023-11-23 01:06:10

fsmithred
Administrator

Booting to RAM is a feature in live-boot, so it's only available in the live isos.
If you want to avoid sitting there and answering questions for the debian/devuan installer, you need to look at preseeding:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed

#4 2023-11-23 10:36:24

oui

Thank you very much! Yes, the thematic and the ideas are top. And I am happy, the origin of that activity came from France and the long pages are for this reason in French (I continue to have difficulties to read really without toil English! Short texts, yes, but long texts more or less no!).

In the French texts I did read at different places warnings against erasing of data or, more terrible, complete disks... brrrrrrr...

yes, the Debian installer is really stupid!

To much things are included being very critical:

- preparation of the harddisk (compare with Refracta installer: The Refracta installer is absolutely prudent! It suggere to prepare separately the disk and offer exactly for that a choice item!

- installation of boot without to show to the user the content of the decisive document (the prepared grub.cfg!) before to activate it! It is always the surprise!!! Poor Debian...

(The Grub2 is the worst evolution of the last years...)

Board footer