and it refused to install:-
firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree libdrm-amdgpu1 xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
Is there some sort of alternative to make dual screens work with daedalus
motherboard is ASUS M5A97R2.0 Strix B450-F Gaming
GPU is AMD Radeon RX 470/480

#2 2023-10-04 11:33:56

rolfie

Re: Dual Screens Daedalus

May be simply due to an issue with the sources.list. New in Debian 12 Bookworm and in consequence in Devuan 5 Daedalus:

There is a new sub-repo called non-free-firmware. Look i.e. into this thread: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=5688

Last edited by rolfie (2023-10-04 11:34:23)

#3 2023-10-04 14:28:40

unanswered

Thank you rolfie, I notice I might have a mistake in my sources list, I have 'non-free contrib' instead of 'contrib non-free' I'll give it another go.

#4 2023-10-04 15:12:37

rolfie

unanswered wrote:

... I have 'non-free contrib' instead of 'contrib non-free' ...

The order is irrelevant, most likely you will need to add  non-free-firmware.

You should really read the linked thread to understand the background ...

Last edited by rolfie (2023-10-04 15:20:57)

#5 2023-10-07 20:46:15

unanswered

Tried again to install Daedalus on ASUS M5A97R2.0 Motherboard, Radeon RX 570 GPU, with 'contrib non-free' and 'non-free-firmware' added to sources list, but it still will not run two screens although they both work independently, and together they both show the start up code before the login screen is reached, but when logged in, they fail to work together. I have also tried starting with one screen plugged in and then adding the second screen but that failed too.

I tried to install Daedalus on my other computer, M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard, GeForce GTX 1050, all goes okay, boots up right until it's just about to flick to the login screen, then it hangs and goes no further.

So I've reinstalled Chimaera on both desktops as the one with two screens works and the other one boots up just fine, so Daedalus will have to wait till the future.

#6 2023-10-07 22:49:07

GlennW

I had a similar problem/symptoms... desktop & nVidia graphics, after updating Daedalus (X11 packages) last week.

one screen went blank during boot and then did not revive.

I tried lots of things but was at a loss.

I'm using Plasma (KDE5) and I found one screen was disabled in the system settings, display&monitor.

First time this has happened. After a while, and quite a few reboots I realised the 2 screens were like stacked, but one was disabled.

So check that.

On box No.2, The blank screen could be that the system is trying to use non-X like "Wayland". (never got it to run on my setup)

And in my experience a blank white screen is normal for a fresh install sddm login page.

But If I move the mouse around the bottom left corner there is a choice (drop-down menu), though nearly invisible to change it to Plasma-X11 (a blank white screen).

Just last night (after reinstalling Chimaera like you did, just to check the hardware) did the full install & upgrade for Daedalus &
this morning it booted fine.

I hope this helps you.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

Board footer