The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-07-24 23:25:04

sgage

Re: Stretch is coming, Devuan status backported or up to date packages

mckaygerhard wrote:
greenjeans wrote:
golinux wrote:

Relax and enjoy the stability that 'just works'.

I think sometimes linux enthusiasts forget that not everyone is into computers like they are, 99% of computer users worldwide just want something simple and stable to use daily, not a hotrod project with constant breakage.

i'm with you greenjeans, obviously..  well as i understand, devuan not "just" works, theres some issue still open in the bugtracker and in this forum.. so please be hones and get down a little the face..

A little humility is necessary there are many houses here

DEVUAN ITS FOR USERS OR FOR THE FORUM ADMINS AND FRIENDS?

I am just a regular user, and Devuan works fine for me. I find Jessie simple and stable to the max, and I don't see any 'constant breakage', or really breakage of any kind. But we all have our particular use cases, and run up against different issues...

I'm guessing it's your sometimes hard-to-understand English, but speaking honestly, you come across sometimes as belligerent and disrespectful. You talk about humility and respect - well, that runs both ways. Perhaps consider giving a bit more thought and care to your posts...

#27 2017-07-24 23:45:00

mckaygerhard
Website

again golinux with that avocate? its good have power.. now i'm the little mouse, but now alway be ...

i try to said with other words, that already said greenjeans: many of here dont note that users in mayority only want to use and that's all, there still many issues pending in devuan...

i try to do best efforts and test but my life are not just test and test... i do my part, report bugs, post details ask for solutions.. try with other users, download all the debvuan flavors.. but still have the keyboard and locate problem.. and also when installed postgres or one of the packages that track "Debian" just said "unkown distribution" and do not made the right instalation

#28 2017-08-09 15:29:06

steelpillow

fsmithred wrote:

1, 2 and 3 are correct. Devuan Jessie tracks Debian Jessie, ascii is tracking stretch, and ceres will always track sid. While stretch has reached stable, ascii still requires some work. I think it's less confusing if you stick with the codenames instead of talking about stable/testing/unstable. Right now, debian buster is in testing and devuan beowulf, which will track buster, does not yet exist. I think the beowulf repo will probably get set up after amprolla3 goes online, which should be soon.

OK, thank you very much. So Devuan ascii should (shortly) be the next release after Jessie, right? Looking forward to it!

— Cheers

#29 2017-08-09 16:45:28

fsmithred
Administrator

Yes, ascii is next and coming soon.

#30 2017-08-09 20:35:57

greenjeans
Website

fsmithred wrote:

Yes, ascii is next and coming soon.

Can you elaborate on "soon"? Alpha first right?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#31 2017-08-10 01:17:31

fsmithred
Administrator

I don't know how soon there will be devuan installer isos or even devuan-live isos. I can tell you with certainty that one of the two mother VMs for making refracta8 isos has been cloned and upgraded to ascii and produced a bootable iso. I'm getting itchy.

#32 2017-08-10 03:43:20

MiyoLinux

Great...all this latest work on Miyo, and Ascii is on the horizon. LOLOLOLOL!!!

big_smile

I need to subscribe to something...just don't know what to subscribe to! tongue

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#33 2017-08-10 22:46:42

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Great...all this latest work on Miyo, and Ascii is on the horizon. LOLOLOLOL!!!

big_smile

I need to subscribe to something...just don't know what to subscribe to! tongue

No worries, jessie is supported as is the kernel it uses for quite some time, and updates are regularly coming down the pike for jessie lately so development is ongoing. I'm sticking with stable at least until there's a beta ascii, at that point i'll start working on something new, but i'm going to continue putting out upgraded Vuu-do's of jessie at least until Devuan drops support for it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#34 2017-08-11 13:00:31

GNUser

golinux wrote:
greenjeans wrote:
golinux wrote:

Relax and enjoy the stability that 'just works'.

You know, it's funny, because probably nobody that ever posts on this forum will ever do that . . .

Well, I do!  I like stable and boring and only try new things when absolutely necessary.  wink

Ditto! I love stable and boring. It's nice to turn my computer on and know exactly what to expect day to day. I'm perfectly happy with Devuan Jessie smile

#35 2017-08-11 13:14:02

sgage

GNUser wrote:
golinux wrote:
greenjeans wrote:

You know, it's funny, because probably nobody that ever posts on this forum will ever do that . . .

Well, I do!  I like stable and boring and only try new things when absolutely necessary.  wink

Ditto! I love stable and boring. It's nice to turn my computer on and know exactly what to expect day to day. I'm perfectly happy with Devuan Jessie smile

Add me to the list of those who love stable and boring. I used to be an avid tester of everything and anything, but nowadays that seems  a lot less appealing.

That said, I am running Ascii as I write this :-)

Last edited by sgage (2017-08-11 13:14:34)

#36 2017-12-29 15:01:49

mckaygerhard
Website

backports packages works well now time was passed, i used devuan in two server target and no probles yet apart of the reported bugs

strech was release some months ago now and devuan i hope comming soon, but if too much time passed the development team will have a very big work to mantain older release and newer!

by the way no one of the reported bugs in devuan was resolved for me! i try to help re¿solvind but its very complicated the development environment..

why not just a "mentors" site just like debian does for zealots?

#37 2018-02-03 14:39:06

mns

mckaygerhard wrote:

its a better response from an administrator, and also, only "works", but not "just", remenber i have a several problem with spanish and russian file names..

PD: i have all locales gnrated, utf8 as default, dont installed locale-purge.. same packages as debian squeeze, but nothing seems works, reported the bug agains devuan bugtraker, etc etc.. i posted in the issues forums

For what i understand, this isn't a devuan problem. If you're using slim as your login manager, the default locale for whatever desktop environment you have chosen are sourced against /etc/default/locale file. So, no local configuration will works for xfce, for exemple.

Here is what are in the /etc/default/locale:
#  File generated by update-locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE="en_US:en"

And here is the file where slim looks for a locale/lang config.
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/20slim_locale

I hope that solves your problem.

Board footer