The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-25 18:54:24

zephyr
Website

Crowz 4.0 Test build Chimaera

Uploaded a TEST with Calamares, live-build with Chimaera 4.0. Crowz-Openbox 64 bit build.

There is a current README: A short list of changes, and where to start the Calamares installer.

For installation, click the Desktop icon in the PCManFM file manager,
then, click install-Debian (thats is one of the rebranding issues "Debian").

WgY2Iqkl.png

Thank you! smile

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2022-04-25 19:57:20)

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#2 2022-04-28 15:20:37

MiyoLinux

Re: Crowz 4.0 Test build Chimaera

Hi Zephyr! I downloaded and installed it. Great work!

Here are a couple of things that I noticed and hope it may be of help to you...

The name of the .iso has an extra space toward the end...between amd64 and .iso

I use dd to burn .isos onto USBs. That extra space gave my terminal a nervous-jerkdown. Hahaha! big_smile I don't know if GUI apps are affected by the extra space or not.

Before I installed it, I looked over all of the calamares config files, and I noticed in one of them, the "Reboot" command was using a systemctl command for the reboot command of the installer. So, when the installation finished, though reboot was checked, it didn't reboot. I wish I had changed it while in the live session to loginctl reboot, but I didn't think about it at the time...not even sure it would've worked. tongue  Unfortunately, I don't recall which config file that was, and they have disappeared after installation and reboot. When I get time, I'll boot the USB again and find it to give you the path to the file.

Regarding the Installer being name "Install Debian". It seems like I recall (a year or two ago) that if you tried to change that, calamares (on Debian-based systems) didn't like it and wouldn't work. I don't remember the particulars though. Maybe there's a way around it???

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2022-04-28 15:39:03

MiyoLinux

That config file is in...

/etc/calamares/modules/finished.conf

Thanks zephyr!

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#4 2022-04-28 18:55:21

zephyr
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:That config file is in...

/etc/calamares/modules/finished.conf

Thanks Dan, I also forgot to label it as Openbox, will upload all three Ob, FB and Jwm sometime tomorrow or even tonight.

Have been spinning my wheels in the mud trying to get a build with the Debian d-i, just something not compatible no matter what I tried and that was with live-build and live-sdk. Calamares was basicly a drop-in replacement. 

Still have a major concern, 218mb worth of major concern but leaving as is until I find out why it's leaving a lot of files behind after the install. sad

Thanks for the tips and help, always appreciated! smile

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#5 2022-04-29 16:04:06

MiyoLinux

zephyr wrote:

Still have a major concern, 218mb worth of major concern but leaving as is until I find out why it's leaving a lot of files behind after the install. sad

In /etc/calamares/modules/packages.conf ...

I believe that if you add the following to the end of the remove list, it should help get rid of it...

- 'calamares'

#6 2022-04-29 23:43:02

zephyr
Website

Miyo wrote: In /etc/calamares/modules/packages.conf ...

I believe that if you add the following to the end of the remove list, it should help get rid of it...

Ha! I saw it, it and it didn't register...thank you Dan! smile)

Thanks again! smile

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#7 2022-04-30 08:47:40

zephyr
Website

Miyo wrote:I believe that if you add the following to the end of the remove list, it should help get rid of it...

Uh!  ... nope! But, did find a true or false on a lb file which I changed to false and got me about 40 mbs! smile

Thanks for the help, always appreciate it.

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#8 2022-05-01 07:45:39

MiyoLinux

I thought for sure that would help. It made a big difference the last time I tried it.

Sorry for the misleading information.

#9 2022-05-01 14:09:53

zephyr
Website

Miyo wrote: Sorry for the misleading information

Not misleading info, think I was looking in the wrong area. Sometimes it is very hard trying to find the bloat. Could be left-overs hiding, even evading the l-b cleaning. 

Always appreciate the help, thanks again! smile

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2022-05-01 14:11:22)

CROWZ

#10 2022-05-05 00:01:00

zephyr
Website

Greetings: Uploaded 3 flavours of Crowz, fluxbox, jwm and openbox. All builds based on 4.0 Chimaera - 5.10.0-13.

Thank you for testing and using Crowz!

mJTMTQ4l.png

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2022-05-05 02:31:46)

CROWZ

#11 2022-06-22 18:58:54

rayburn

Thank you zephyr, I have installed crowz on a laptop (fluxbox) and am generally very pleased with it so far. I have changed the repos to ceres, by the way (I am prepared for problems, but none so far!), and all good.

#12 2022-07-27 15:16:18

Camtaf

Installed JWM version to my old 1.3GHz single core Celeron 2GB ram Toshiba Satellite; running it from a 16GB SDHC card - working well, & quite speedy considering the specs - good work! smile

#13 2022-08-14 07:50:40

Camtaf

Just one small problem I've encountered, so far, it doesn't seem to like Radeon graphics (running on a HP thin client - it only gives 800x600) - I shall have to see what Devuan Live loads & add them in... big_smile

(This was the Fluxbox version, just in case it matters.) wink

EDIT: Seems to be the VGA graphics card controlling the D-sub socket. If I attach a DP to VGA converter cable I get SXGA - but if I use Devuan Live, I get a whole load of options - so these thin clients have gone back to that.

(EDIT2: My other thin client is also using the Devuan Live, & that too gives me loads of options, using a DP to VGA, or DP to HDMI cable.)

EDIT3: My little laptop is now using the Fluxbox version, I prefer it to JWM. smile

Last edited by Camtaf (2022-08-14 14:15:55)

#14 2022-12-25 14:27:26

dodcel

installed Crowz 4 JWM on an old computer with AMD Sempron 3000 processor, 2 Gb memory.
Crowz is very light, working very well, congratulations on the work.

Greetings!

Last edited by dodcel (2022-12-25 14:28:35)

#15 2022-12-26 07:29:08

zephyr
Website

dodcel wrote: installed Crowz 4 JWM on an old computer with AMD Sempron 3000 processor, 2 Gb memory.
Crowz is very light, working very well, congratulations on the work.

Thank you, always great to know that the Crowz distro is utilized and appreciated! smile

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#16 2022-12-27 13:59:52

MrReplikant

Zephyr, were you aware that there is an experimental calamares-settings-devuan package built by me? It's the best place to start, I think, as that is where all the "Debian" branding is placed. You can find the GitHub repo here: https://github.com/MrReplikant/calamares-settings-devuan

If you need any help at all, do not hesitate to contact me.

That's all, folks.

#17 2022-12-28 02:09:13

zephyr
Website

MrRepikant wrote: If you need any help at all, do not hesitate to contact me.

Awesome! be in touch to solve a few mysteries!

Sent email smile

Thank you!

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2022-12-28 02:13:50)

CROWZ

#18 2023-07-03 07:22:16

oui

I did try diffferent times to upgrade to Daedalus (as upgrading to actual Chimarea seems always end successless now) also without success ...

... excepted yesterday evening :-) ! I also have now a Crowz update as Refracta snapshot ISO (with the very confortable Calamares installer in it as well as, now, Refracta snapshot-base and Refracta installer-base, JWM with menu and XFCE4-appfinder with item in the JWM system.jwmrc, Gnome browser Web (alias epiphany-browser) als well as Luakit (*1, mousepad (insteed of geany), abiword, gnumeric, mgp, gparted, mtpaint, mhwaveedit. All the stuff makes an ISO with a bit less than 1100 MB. It occupes 3,4 GB installed in a 9,77 GB ext4 partition and seems to work well (I will see that in the praxis in the next days!) and to continue to be able to be actualized.

Until now, the Calamares installer did continue to work.

The ISO also directly starts as Refracta snapshot
(edit no. 1 230703 23:00 : No, after control it is not true. the long list from first apt auto-remove after the last upgrade did probably remove the comfortable Calamares installer - Sorry, you must use the terribly quenching refracta installer!)

This makes the stuff actualizable but starting (like a Puppy Linux) fully out the RAM if you have enough RAM (I have 8 GB). After shutdown no trace of the session excepted that, what you did record or save yourself on you HD or USB stick (you can agree for tonnes of cookies without to angry!)...

I will of course add more stuff for me (to read Chinese without to know it using xsane/tesseract-ocr/gimagereader, marble-qt, merkaartor, SWI prolog, aeskulap, anbox, wine, aqemu/kvm, etc., as I already have in my Chimerea version of Crowz).

Last edited by oui (2023-07-03 21:15:22)

#19 2023-07-03 07:44:21

oui

(*1 I miss really xombrero: I don't like those webkit browser showing the past activity each time you open a new page! it is terrible I think... xombrero was so confortable like Firefox etc. lubuntu minimal did have 5..6 y. ago an extra depository (from France, a neighboor of our friend pushing here gnuinos!) for xombrero for lubuntu...

#20 2023-07-03 21:21:25

oui

actually, my new system was unused. it boots in under 15 s.

Yesterday the comparable analog test with gnuinos need very more than one minute.

As because of electricity sparing because of the attack from Biden against Russia I am turning off the PC each time a go away and start new all the day of lot of times, this aspect of the use become a very important detail. Gnuinos is now dead for me, if I don´t find some way to change that...

#21 2023-07-04 09:37:53

Camtaf

Re visited Crowz/chimaera/JWM on my HP T520 thin clients, using a DP (display port) cable, & a HD (1920x1080) monitor, it loaded & worked, so then I decided to install it.

First problem I encountered was that it wouldn't install to my internal 8GB M2 SSD, I've got to have at least 10GB(!?).

So, I tried it with a 16GB M2 SSD, this was OK, however, it took 4GB for a swap partition!

That's a bit extreme, I'm thinking, especially as this machine only has 2GB ram, which is plenty, even for Devuan Live installs, without any swap. smile

(P.S. I got a seg fault when I tried a manual install, but could be because I hadn't checked the download; just thought I'd mention it. wink )

Overall, I still like this version of Devuan.

Last edited by Camtaf (2023-07-04 09:40:40)

#22 2023-07-04 21:12:48

aitor
Website

oui wrote:

actually, my new system was unused. it boots in under 15 s.

Yesterday the comparable analog test with gnuinos need very more than one minute.

As because of electricity sparing because of the attack from Biden against Russia I am turning off the PC each time a go away and start new all the day of lot of times, this aspect of the use become a very important detail. Gnuinos is now dead for me, if I don´t find some way to change that...

Actually, the boot time with vdev as device manager is optimized for runit only (indead, the default init system shown by choose-init-udeb in the installer-isos), and according to my analog tests, the times recorded do not substantially differ when compared to eudev. However, I have in mind to extend this optimization for other inits, although I won't do that until august. In the meantime, if you are running gnuinos with vdev and sysvinit, I suggest that you either change the init system to runit (apt-get install runit runit-init getty-run) or that you replace the device manager with eudev (apt-get install eudev).

While I'm particularly happy with vdev, there is room to do things in the project. For example, another possible idea I'm considering is to unify both libeudev and libudev-compat in a way that the behaviour of the shared library will depend on the running device manager. It wouldn't be that complicated. But I'm aware that I made some mistakes in the past during the vdev integration that might have broken the system, and I'll ensure that it never happens again. Thanks for your patience!

Last edited by aitor (2023-07-04 21:14:50)

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

#23 2023-07-08 18:07:18

oui

This evening, I have do an decisive step using Crowz. If no error messages will appear in the future ( ;-) ) I have 2 64-bit installations and 2 refractasnapshots starting well.

each one for

- crowz based on Chimerea updated to the actual level

snapshot size 1300 MB

- crowz, the same installation, but upgraded on Daedalus.

snapshot size 1700 MB

It is of course a lot more that the initial size of 710 MB.

And I did have a lot of new tentatives to reach this (for me in my eyes) actual success.

The last ones did happen:

- installation from more packages: using sudo apt update and sudo apt install x y z
- upgrade to Daedalus: using synaptic (do not forget to open the «DETAILS» windows and answer all with «keep» excepted «restart all deamons» Y !

My .bash_history:

sudo apt install deborphan xli menu jwm refractasnapshot-base refractainstaller-base aqemu winetricks anbox midori didiwiki luakit wordgrinder-x11 mgp cups xsane tesseract-ocr gimagereader samba mtpaint mhwaveedit nted granule kturtle swi-prolog gforth marble-qt merkaartor olive-editor gramps librecad thunar nemo abiword gnumeric osmo gnucash gimp inkscape aeskulap

a lot of app's for families with children, the poor persons in Linux!

and the rest of the bash_history:

ln -s /usr/bin/mousepad /usr/bin/ed
mousepad .bash_history
sudo umount /mnt
sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
xrandr -o left
xrandr -o normal
setxkbmap us intl
mousepad .bash_history
sudo refractasnapshot
cd /mnt
ed .bash_history
sudo refractasnapshot

Why that?

I take care about the content and order in my bash_history: it is my memory what I do and how I do that ;-) !

Last edited by oui (2023-07-08 18:09:33)

#24 2023-07-08 19:04:37

oui

I will review with you the meet problems...

The first one is that the clock is not right in the snapshot. as the use of the snapshot will be my very frequent usage it is not friendly (and it is difficult to recognize if I am using the full installation or if I am using the snapshot to warn me: it is now time to go to bed...)

#25 2023-07-08 19:12:19

oui

I did open a few minutes ago my .bash_history and the application did mark the wrong spell places in the doc.

I did try to open «aout» to see which app nemo (I prefer nemo!) did open for that very simple hiden text document. In «about», that document does not say where it is! I suppose it was abiword. In this case, the spell checking in abiword would work correctly.

but the other applications (internal editor window's from the 3 installed browsers (epiphany, luakit, midori)? and the main text editor, mousepad?

as I did never learn English, it is a very important function for me! Actually, no spell checking seems to work in «midori». You poor reader of my literature!

(which system I am using now: Crowz64Daedalus started from USB stick!)

Last edited by oui (2023-07-08 19:13:57)

Board footer