The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-31 08:42:11

giorgiob

Merging several configuration files after upgrade to beowulf

I have just upgraded my laptop from ascii to beowulf by following the documentation at https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation … to-beowulf. Everything went smoothly, except for a few minor glitches, which I summarize below.

During the upgrade of the tor package, I had a warning that the installed configuration file /etc/tor/torrc has been changed locally. I chose not to overwrite the local file and to merge the new file afterwards. I was left with my original torrc file and an additional /etc/tor/torrc.dpkg-dist file. What surprised me was the following:
- The version of the installed tor package is 0.3.5.14-1
- The header of my old torrc file contains the text
   Last updated 22 September 2015 for Tor 0.2.7.3-alpha.
- The header of the new torrc.dpkg-dist file contains:
   Last updated 9 October 2013 for Tor 0.2.5.2-alpha.

So neither of the configuration files is up to date with the installed package version, and the configuration suggested by the installed package is older than the previous configuration. I am not sure what to do: just keep my old configuration file?

I have a similar problem with package lvm2: I had a configuration conflict during dist-upgrade and delayed the upgrade (kept my configuration file). While merging the new file /etc/lvm/lvm.conf.dpkg-dist with the old file /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, I noticed the following:
- The only thing I had changed was setting use_lvmetad = 0 This was due
   to some warning I got during boot.
- In the new configuration file this variable is missing completely.
Has this variable been removed from the lvm configuration / is it safe to remove it from my configuration file?

Last thing that occurred to me is the following: during shutdown I used to have some console logging output of various steps being performed, similar to the logging that is shown during system startup. After upgrading to beowulf the startup logging is still there but there is no shutdown logging: the screen turns black for a few seconds and then the laptop is switched off. Has some configuration been changed automatically? How can I restore the shutdown logging output?

#2 2021-03-31 11:49:47

dice
Website

Re: Merging several configuration files after upgrade to beowulf

I had a look at the ascii version of tor and there are two torrc files one called minimal and one called sample in the package. Minimal has 2013 header and sample has 2015 header however in beowulf the torrc being used is the 2013 version, not sure why that is, bit strange behavior, possibly maintainer forgot to update to newer sample rc ?

Although beowulf has an updated sample torrc file in /usr/share/doc/tor/torrc.sample.gz you could use.

to use it, do this.

# zcat /usr/share/doc/tor/torrc.sample.gz > /etc/tor/torrc

Last edited by dice (2021-03-31 11:50:52)

Board footer