The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-11 19:07:36

Ron
Member
Registered: 2018-04-22
Posts: 282  

Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

Am I missing it, or is Virtualbox not in the repo? Any alternatives in the repo?

Offline

#2 2020-01-11 19:36:28

Ogis1975
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 166  
Website

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

Ron wrote:

Am I missing it, or is Virtualbox not in the repo? Any alternatives in the repo?

Hello. Virtualbox is in  ascii-backports - contrib repo. But, for my opinion, it is a crap. I prefer qemu-kvm- QEMU Full virtualization on x86 hardware. It is in ascii - main repo.

Last edited by Ogis1975 (2020-01-11 19:36:46)


MyLiveMatter

Offline

#3 2020-01-11 20:14:58

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,542  
Website

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

Ron wrote:

is Virtualbox not in the repo?

No, it's so shit that the Debian developers removed it from the stable release and won't be backporting it in future.

See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=794466 for all the gory details.

Ogis1975 wrote:

I prefer qemu-kvm

+1


Black Lives Matter

Offline

#4 2020-01-11 22:46:08

Ron
Member
Registered: 2018-04-22
Posts: 282  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

In Synaptic, kvm is described as "QEMU Full virtualization on x86 hardware." My rig is 64 bit. Can I use kvm on it? Also, would a guest 64 bit OS work on it?

Offline

#5 2020-01-12 11:10:29

Andre4freedom
Member
Registered: 2017-11-15
Posts: 49  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

Simple answer: YES
You must have (and you have) 64bit Intel or AMD x86 hardware. You can run client-VMs in 64bit and 32bit mode.
Works very well on ASCII.
Just install qemu-kvm and its dependencies from the ascii repos and you are fine.
Don't forget to install virt-manager too! it helps a lot.
Good luck

Offline

#6 2020-01-12 11:13:51

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,542  
Website

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

Ron wrote:

In Synaptic, kvm is described as "QEMU Full virtualization on x86 hardware." My rig is 64 bit. Can I use kvm on it?

The x86 architecture includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. It is possible to run a 64-bit or 32-bit guest in a 64-bit host (but you can't run a 64-bit guest in a 32-bit host).

If you don't like GUI management tools see my fdn guide: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=144775


Black Lives Matter

Offline

#7 2020-01-12 13:10:02

Ogis1975
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 166  
Website

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

If you don't like GUI management tools see my fdn guide

It is exelent guide. This instruction helped me a lot!


MyLiveMatter

Offline

#8 2020-01-12 14:49:32

aut0exec
Member
Registered: 2018-11-21
Posts: 77  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Ogis1975 wrote:

I prefer qemu-kvm

+1

This is where I've been moving as well. Between it and LXC, virtualbox has pretty much gone by the wayside on *nix stations. Sadly still have to use VB on Windoze stations for work but it beats the licensing cost of VMware!

Offline

#9 2020-01-12 16:11:06

Ron
Member
Registered: 2018-04-22
Posts: 282  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

Thanks to all for your help. If I have any problems, I'll be back. wink

Offline

#10 2020-01-15 06:49:27

ToxicExMachina
Member
Registered: 2019-03-11
Posts: 209  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

If you need VirtualBox, you can install it from official deb packages: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

However, I recommend QEMU (+ KVM) with AQEMU GUI:

apt-get install aqemu

QEMU is easy-to-use solution. For example, you can add USB devices into VM out of box without limitations. QEMU also has snapshots support and you don't need to build additional kernel module for virtualization. AQEMU is awesome UI because you can get a command for running configured QEMU without GUI at all ("Show QEMU Arguments" and "Create Shell Script" in right-click menu).

If you need terminal UI you can use this: https://bitbucket.org/PascalRD/nemu/

Offline

#11 2021-01-22 16:49:17

jorgericarte
Member
Registered: 2021-01-22
Posts: 1  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

An alternative

apt-get install virt-manager

Offline

#12 2021-01-22 18:30:41

zapper
Member
Registered: 2017-05-29
Posts: 239  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Ron wrote:

is Virtualbox not in the repo?

No, it's so shit that the Debian developers removed it from the stable release and won't be backporting it in future.

See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=794466 for all the gory details.

Ogis1975 wrote:

I prefer qemu-kvm

+1

Seconded...

Qemu-kvm is awesome. 

Virt-maanger, is semi okay...

But, virtualbox has been crap since... well, always really... hmm

Especially when they made it depend on a non-free watcom compiler. 

4.1 was the only version I ever liked even a little bit.

QEMU, FTW!


Black Lives Matter!  I am white, but I prefer equality over hatred.
Haughtiness comes before a fall, pride before destruction.
Peace be with you!

Offline

#13 2021-01-23 14:20:23

thierrybo
Member
Registered: 2017-11-11
Posts: 66  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

For all my new vms i use libvirt now but I am too lazy to convert all my previous virtualbox machines to libvirt so I need both for the moment.

If you can use Devuan testing, thankfully virtualbox is in Devuan Ceres. I use this :

/etc/apt/preferences.d/40sid

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental,n=experimental
Pin-Priority: -1

/etc/apt/preferences.d/90virtualbox-sid

Package: virtualbox*
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 900

Last edited by thierrybo (2021-01-23 14:40:30)

Offline

#14 2021-01-23 15:46:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,542  
Website

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

thierrybo wrote:

i use this

Well done, you have pulled in the libc6 package from sid and prevented it from being subsequently upgraded. Good luck with any future vulnerabilities in that package, your system will be left wide open to them.

@all: don't try this at home.

And just for the record experimental has a pin value of 1 (one) by default so you don't need a preferences entry for that and if you did want to pin a package from ceres (which you don't) then it would only need a pin value of 500 because APT would favour the higher package version automatically.

EDIT: hold on, are you using testing? The above would apply to beowulf users.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-01-23 16:05:17)


Black Lives Matter

Offline

#15 2021-01-23 19:45:16

thierrybo
Member
Registered: 2017-11-11
Posts: 66  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

Yes i use testing.

Offline

#16 2021-01-24 13:20:52

swarfendor437
Member
From: Somewhere off Atlantis
Registered: 2020-10-28
Posts: 59  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

I've had an issue with Aqemu in that I am not doing something correct i.e., thinking I had created an installed 'drive' when it starts in live mode again (image). However I found VirtManager (Virtual Machine Manager to give it it's full title) great at importing my VB .vhd into quemu using the qcow2 converter. It is so much nicer not to have to press the right Ctrl key to free the mouse back to the desktop - the mouse can easily move from a VM to the desktop. (I do have 2 monitors I hasten to add!)

Offline

#17 2021-02-05 11:15:15

zapper
Member
Registered: 2017-05-29
Posts: 239  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

swarfendor437 wrote:

I've had an issue with Aqemu in that I am not doing something correct i.e., thinking I had created an installed 'drive' when it starts in live mode again (image). However I found VirtManager (Virtual Machine Manager to give it it's full title) great at importing my VB .vhd into quemu using the qcow2 converter. It is so much nicer not to have to press the right Ctrl key to free the mouse back to the desktop - the mouse can easily move from a VM to the desktop. (I do have 2 monitors I hasten to add!)

If you want to know how to use qemu to install virtual machines, there is a thread where someone helped me with that...

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=4128#p4128

That is how I do it... wink


"This is what I do:

qemu-img create -f qcow2 name-of.img 100g

In the directory where you made your image put your iso and:

sudo kvm -m (amount of memory for VM, i.e. 2048) -cdrom (name of image, i.e., gnuinos.iso) -boot d name-of.img

To start the image after install do:

sudo kvm -m (amount of memory for VM, i.e. 2048)  name-of.img

HTH"


Black Lives Matter!  I am white, but I prefer equality over hatred.
Haughtiness comes before a fall, pride before destruction.
Peace be with you!

Offline

#18 2021-02-05 15:03:02

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,542  
Website

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

zapper wrote:

sudo kvm -m (amount of memory for VM, i.e. 2048) -cdrom (name of image, i.e., gnuinos.iso) -boot d name-of.img

To start the image after install do:

sudo kvm -m (amount of memory for VM, i.e. 2048)  name-of.img

Why are you running QEMU with sudo? That's not a good idea — security for virtualised systems isn't the best and elevating the privileges will only make the situation worse.


Black Lives Matter

Offline

#19 2021-02-05 18:03:56

zapper
Member
Registered: 2017-05-29
Posts: 239  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
zapper wrote:

sudo kvm -m (amount of memory for VM, i.e. 2048) -cdrom (name of image, i.e., gnuinos.iso) -boot d name-of.img

To start the image after install do:

sudo kvm -m (amount of memory for VM, i.e. 2048)  name-of.img

Why are you running QEMU with sudo? That's not a good idea — security for virtualised systems isn't the best and elevating the privileges will only make the situation worse.

Whoops, your right, good eye, I forgot myself that isn't a good idea.


Black Lives Matter!  I am white, but I prefer equality over hatred.
Haughtiness comes before a fall, pride before destruction.
Peace be with you!

Offline

#20 2021-03-13 03:40:50

zapper
Member
Registered: 2017-05-29
Posts: 239  

Re: Is VirtualBox (or alternative) in the repo?

Actually, I neglected to mention, in my config, it seems I don't have that configuration, so maybe idk, I just forgot to write down my actual config... lol...   

It was a quick copy and paste, but more or less its the same, - the dumb sudo... hmm


Black Lives Matter!  I am white, but I prefer equality over hatred.
Haughtiness comes before a fall, pride before destruction.
Peace be with you!

Offline

Board footer