The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-27 04:55:25

Dutch_Master

Proxmox on Devuan

Proxmox is build on Debian, so in theory at least, Devuan should be a suitable replacement. Anyone tried that yet?

Proxmox has a page outlining how to install it on an existing Debian install (click!) so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Is there any reason it wouldn't work?

TIA!

#2 2021-01-27 05:50:53

szutt

Re: Proxmox on Devuan

Proxmox heavily rely on systemd now https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/build … uan.61289/

#3 2021-01-27 06:31:46

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Proxmox is also fundamentally broken if the _many_ support threads we get over at fdn are anything to go by. The fuckers even refer users to our forum in case of problems mad

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2021-01-27 07:02:21

zapper

I would  ditch that software in a heartbeat. If it requires systemd as much as it does, then it must be crap.
That being said, I am not entirely sure what its for.

Or if there are alternatives to it. I may look later...

hmm, dunno which ones use systemd though...

But i found one named danube cloud... You tell me if its any good. tongue

Yeah, there sure don't look like there are a lot... hmm

Last edited by zapper (2021-01-27 07:06:52)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#5 2021-01-27 13:10:47

Dutch_Master

Hmmmm..... Right, let's not go that way then.

OK, so, what next? I've never seen a live Proxmox install so I have no idea how that works. But I did find that it uses qemu and lxc for the virtualization, so at least in theory one could write a script to implement the functionality, if not the web-gui. Btw, as Proxmox is OSS, one could rewrite all the systemd-specific parts for other init systems, but as a non-coder, that's not gonna be me! Personally, I'd like a choice of underlying file systems, like BTRFS, JFS and XFS instead of "just" ZFS but I can imagine this to seriously complicate porting functionality now offered by ZFS over specifically JFS and XFS (BTRFS has a similar feature set to ZFS)

Time to ponder off and do some experimenting, I guess. Just don't hold your breath for it, it'll be a while (if ever!) tongue

Board footer