The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-21 15:58:31

Vernon

HOWOTO: Beowulf LXQt post installation tweeks

After installing Beowulf with LXQt desktop, I had to do the following tweaks. Besides the installation of LXQt, I believe I accepted all the other default options including sysvinit and xfce4 window manager. If you have installed a different init or window manager, this HOWTO may not apply to you.

Pulse Audio

As root, comment out the autospawn=no in your /etc/pulse/client.conf.d/00-disable-autospawn.conf file. My /etc/pulse/client.conf.d/00-disable-autospawn.conf file now looks like the below.

# On linux systems, disable autospawn by default
# If you are not using systemd, comment out this line
# autospawn=no
Control+A+d Show Desktop Warning Message

The LXQt Show Desktop keyboard shortcut conflicts with the xfce4 window manager keyboard shortcut resulting in a warning message every time you log in. To get rid of the message, Comment out the  the following line

<property name="&lt;Primary&gt;&lt;Alt&gt;d" type="string" value="show_desktop_key"/>

in your ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml file.

Moving Windows

On a  small display like a netbook, some non-scrollable windows may extend beyond the bottom of the screen. To view the bottom of these windows, press the Alt+Left Mouse Butoon while moving your mouse or track pad. This will allow you to grab and move anywhere on a window which allows you to move a window beyond the top of the screen so you can see and click on any bottom buttons..

#2 2020-07-27 08:12:00

larsH

Re: HOWOTO: Beowulf LXQt post installation tweeks

Hi

Will just mention that instead of enabling pulseaudio. Witch is software only and adding overhead and latency to your system, you can install volumeicon-alsa instead and add it to your desktop startup.

#3 2020-07-27 13:47:22

Vernon

larsH wrote:

Hi

Will just mention that instead of enabling pulseaudio. Witch is software only and adding overhead and latency to your system, you can install volumeicon-alsa instead and add it to your desktop startup.

Thanks for this info. However, the LXQt volume control panel applet does not require Pulse Audio and can be configured for either ALSA or Pulse Audio without installing any additional software. Mouse Right Click on the panel volume control applet and then left click on Configure.

Volume Control Applet

Then tick on the ALSA radio and you are done.

Volume Control Configure

#4 2020-07-27 14:15:48

larsH

Hi

Then you do not need to activate pulseaudio. It is doing nothing today that alsa does not do. Except for adding latency ;-))

Have a nice day

#5 2020-07-27 15:28:47

HevyDevy

larsH wrote:

Hi

Then you do not need to activate pulseaudio. It is doing nothing today that alsa does not do. Except for adding latency ;-))

Have a nice day

You really need to put as your signature.

"volumeicon-alsa FTW!"

I like my hardware controls for alsa, well i have to using dwm..

#6 2020-07-27 16:10:27

larsH

Hi

I hope FTW is not meant in a bad way :-)) . I simply consider pulseaudio i plague like systemd. And I have seen no arguments for the opposite. I am a professional musician and like everyone to have the best possible sound. And I can hear a difference for the better when pulseaudio is  not used ;-))

Have a nice day
Lars H

HevyDevy wrote:
larsH wrote:

Hi

Have a nice day

"volumeicon-alsa FTW!"

#7 2020-07-27 17:39:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

larsH wrote:

Then you do not need to activate pulseaudio. It is doing nothing today that alsa does not do.

How about autoselecting the non-HDMI output for laptops? ALSA doesn't do that.

(Sorry for the OT, OP.)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#8 2020-07-27 18:02:04

larsH

Hi

You may be right about that one. But it can be solved by enviroment variables ;-)). For serious sound I am using jack anyway. Pulseaudio  and jack are no good to  use at the same time. But that is offcourse my special case.

Have a nice day
Lars H

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
larsH wrote:

Then you do not need to activate pulseaudio. It is doing nothing today that alsa does not do.

(Sorry for the OT, OP.)

Last edited by larsH (2020-07-27 18:02:23)

#9 2020-07-28 12:19:33

HevyDevy

larsH wrote:

Hi

I hope FTW is not meant in a bad way :-)) . I simply consider pulseaudio i plague like systemd. And I have seen no arguments for the opposite. I am a professional musician and like everyone to have the best possible sound. And I can hear a difference for the better when pulseaudio is  not used ;-))

Have a nice day
Lars H

HevyDevy wrote:
larsH wrote:

Hi

Have a nice day

"volumeicon-alsa FTW!"

FTW = "For The Win" wink

#10 2020-11-11 17:09:11

swarfendor437

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
larsH wrote:

(Sorry for the OT, OP.)

Well I hate using the term 'blacklist' but that is what I did to get my Audigy 5 Rx Soundblaster working. Why can't it be named blocklisting and allowlisting instead? wink

#11 2020-11-11 22:31:38

GlennW

How about autoselecting the non-HDMI output for "non-"laptops? ALSA doesn't do that.

I have not been able to get non-pulse working that will work in any web-browser, vlc, clementine and system sounds reliably.

But I'll test it from time to time to check.

sorry for the highjack of this post. :-)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#12 2020-11-12 12:28:52

PedroReina
Website

GlennW wrote:

How about autoselecting the non-HDMI output for "non-"laptops? ALSA doesn't do that.

I dislike "autoselecting". But I can select the non-HDMI output with ALSA configuring it. There are a lot of info about that.

Board footer