how to flush DNS

Thanks...

#2 2020-11-05 18:47:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: how to flush DNS

cipher wrote:

I looked, can't find it.

That's strange, I get a whole page of potential results if I enter "how to flush DNS linux" into https://startpage.com

Have you tried that?

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2020-11-05 20:58:29

xinomilo
Unknown

restart your network manager, that usually does it..  if you use some dns caching daemon, restart that daemon too.

OT, startpage is ad owned/supported metasearch engine, selling out user queries/data just like gevil does.. usually prefer some (=my own) searx instance.

#4 2020-11-05 21:23:23

swarfendor437

Startpage used to be ixquick - when I looked at startpage after I had searched for ixquick I was soon put off by some message saying about "additonal services" being made available  - can't remember the exact wording but it intimated money would have to cross palms. It was gone in a flash - I stick with DuckDuckGo.
I suspect the OP meant looking in the forum/documentation. I searched for this on another distro and the only advice I could find was dependent on dnsmasq being present - and it wasn't so that threw me. Occurred whilst having issues with TT - I have since moved to Zen - much better service.

#5 2020-11-09 12:10:23

cipher

Why yes, yes I did look.  None of those methods work with Devuan

Thanks tho...

Unfortunately

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
cipher wrote:

I looked, can't find it.

That's strange, I get a whole page of potential results if I enter "how to flush DNS linux" into https://startpage.com

Have you tried that?

#6 2020-11-09 12:13:51

cipher

swarfendor437 wrote:

Startpage used to be ixquick - when I looked at startpage after I had searched for ixquick I was soon put off by some message saying about "additonal services" being made available  - can't remember the exact wording but it intimated money would have to cross palms. It was gone in a flash - I stick with DuckDuckGo.
I suspect the OP meant looking in the forum/documentation. I searched for this on another distro and the only advice I could find was dependent on dnsmasq being present - and it wasn't so that threw me. Occurred whilst having issues with TT - I have since moved to Zen - much better service.

Exactly, I checked Here (Forums, Wiki, FAQ)  and did a search of the web.
All the methods suggested fail as Devuan is missing something from each method, sanyn attempt to install any software to try one of those methods result in Dependcy CANNOT be met...

#7 2020-11-09 12:15:19

cipher

xinomilo wrote:

restart your network manager, that usually does it..  if you use some dns caching daemon, restart that daemon too.

OT, startpage is ad owned/supported metasearch engine, selling out user queries/data just like gevil does.. usually prefer some (=my own) searx instance.

Restarting the network manager gives no feedback that the DNS cache has been flushed.

Thanks for the reply...

#8 2020-11-10 17:14:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

cipher wrote:

All the methods suggested fail as Devuan is missing something from each method, sanyn attempt to install any software to try one of those methods result in Dependcy CANNOT be met...

You should post the exact command(s) that you tried and also the full error messages.

Are you sure your DNS queries are being cached?

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#9 2020-11-10 20:43:19

swarfendor437

Not sure if this article would help - but I learnt something new 'nmtui'.

https://linuxhint.com/restart_networking_debian_linux/

Not the first part but the Konsole/Terminal screenshots. I changed my settings of eth0 to this (I have discovered that setting the IP address manually helps and use IP reservation in the router (Archer 2800):

Routing (No Custom Routes)

[  ] Never use this network for default route
[  ] Ignore automatically obtained routes
[  ] Ignore automatically obtained DNS parameters

Board footer