The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-28 20:29:49

swarfendor437

Accidentally caught close terminal whilst running gdebi-gtk

and consequently got a half-baked install of Virtual Box so I get continuous reminders of:

"E: The package virtualbox-6.1 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it."

Done a search, tried the rm -rf of the virtualbox folder in /var/lib/dpkg/info to no avail.

(Running Devuan Beowulf)

[Glad to be rid of Pulse Audio at last!]

#2 2020-10-29 08:57:43

PedroReina
Website

Re: Accidentally caught close terminal whilst running gdebi-gtk

Run gdebi-gtk again?

#3 2020-10-29 17:14:50

swarfendor437

Hi PeroReina,

Thanks for replying but that does not work. 'chown'd the apt list so that the DVD (CD) is no longer looked at, then tried the update and fix but still have the same issue. I think I may have borked the system as I was 'second-guessing' that Beowulf might be using Buster over Jessie and probably should not have downloaded a .deb package in the first place. VB appears to put 'tilde'/s in the name of the .deb package which isn't liked. I may just reinstall. Here is what happens when I try to launch 'gdebi-gtk' from the terminal:

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code … PsBpFy6OS7

Just to add that I have tried to rename the package without the ~ bits in to no avail.

Last edited by swarfendor437 (2020-10-29 17:15:46)

#4 2020-10-30 11:06:49

PedroReina
Website

swarfendor437 wrote:

Thanks for replying but that does not work

I'm sorry. It seems to me that your install is kind of broken. Of course you can reinstall (I did it a couple of times years ago), no problem. But most likely it can be fixed.

The file /etc/apt/sources.list should be owned by root. Once that is fixed, you can try the commands that gdebi-gtk suggests.

I think that you are taking about the file virtualbox-6.1_6.1.16-140961~Debian~buster_amd64.deb. It should work on your Beowulf box. I have installed VB from deb archive a lot of times (not on Beowulf): it works, but you need to compile a few kernel modules afterward (there is an assistant for this). If the tildes on the name are a problem, just rename the file after download it again.

Also, you can find in this very forum options to VB. A lot of people here dislike VB and explain alternatives that can work for you.

#5 2020-10-30 16:28:51

blackhole

I doubt you need to reinstall...

First:

# apt-get -f install
 # dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq virtualbox

What happens?

Last edited by blackhole (2020-10-30 16:32:25)

#6 2020-10-30 22:25:53

swarfendor437

Hi guys, and apologies to blackhole, I don't mind reinstalling nor losing everything (as I did with my ZorinOS - perhaps it was meant to be so I could experience the joy of no systemd and no pulseaudio written by the same ignominious person and hopefully a great  escape from SNAP. So on this install I opted for sddm (previously lightdm) and openrc (previously sysvinit). Still had the same issue though that it defaults to English US and not my chosen en-GB at time of install but I can remedy that. Now need to # out the DVD as a source for updates. Thanks for your help guys. big_smile

Well made a mistake with ssdm and openrc - yesterday I could easily remove pulseaudio without detriment to the system - today removing it in xfce took out all the other DE's too! If I can't get rid of PulseAudio on 3rd attempt (reverting to lightdm and sysvinit) I will be taking a look at Arch or one of it's derivatives (Artix). sad

Last edited by swarfendor437 (2020-10-30 22:43:23)

#7 2020-10-31 00:18:59

swarfendor437

Update - reinstalled (ysvinit and lightdm) and managed to remove pulse audio again using Synaptic as on first install - Yay! ALSA firmly back in control. Had to blacklist snd_hda_intel and also added the Sound Blaster emu pkg in Synaptic Package Manager. My only issue now is Cinnamon - will start a separate post for that.

Last edited by swarfendor437 (2020-10-31 00:19:41)

#8 2020-11-03 20:52:59

swarfendor437

PedroReina wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:

Thanks for replying but that does not work

I'm sorry. It seems to me that your install is kind of broken. Of course you can reinstall (I did it a couple of times years ago), no problem. But most likely it can be fixed.

The file /etc/apt/sources.list should be owned by root. Once that is fixed, you can try the commands that gdebi-gtk suggests.

I think that you are taking about the file virtualbox-6.1_6.1.16-140961~Debian~buster_amd64.deb. It should work on your Beowulf box. I have installed VB from deb archive a lot of times (not on Beowulf): it works, but you need to compile a few kernel modules afterward (there is an assistant for this). If the tildes on the name are a problem, just rename the file after download it again.

Also, you can find in this very forum options to VB. A lot of people here dislike VB and explain alternatives that can work for you.

I've tried searching the forum using "Alternatives to Virtual Box" but not coming up with anything. I don't want to go down the VMWare root as last time I looked (many years ago) it was quite pricey. Do people find Qemu workable? Thanks for your help by the way.

#9 2020-11-03 21:24:53

rolfie

I use VB, tried qemu/kvm and found its not mine. I load the latest package ddirectly from Oracle and install it with dpkg -i.

rolfie

#10 2020-11-03 21:37:30

swarfendor437

Hi rolfie, thanks for the input - any particular issue with qemu et al? My current issue with VB on another distro is that even though I have told it to mound USB (vhd) it won't and like Devuan, am using KDE running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit VM, purely for work purposes. I need it to access Office 365 (Outlook) purely to access a work request mailbox. I downloaded the mailbox (.pst) for it today but can't transfer to the host to import to Evolution. I will give VB a try again - any reason why some users don't like it? Is it because it is Oracle?

#11 2020-11-03 21:45:28

PedroReina
Website

swarfendor437 wrote:

I've tried searching the forum using "Alternatives to Virtual Box" but not coming up with anything. ... Do people find Qemu workable?

It seems so:
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=19495#p19495

swarfendor437 wrote:

I don't want to go down the VMWare

I dont need VMWare since a lot time. In 2005 I had to buy a license because I did not find an alternative. Not needed anymore. YMMV.

#12 2020-11-03 21:59:21

rolfie

I am using VB for many years now, no issues with it. Some people say its crap because its from Oracle. Ok.

Tried qemu, and did not have the features I used to have with VB: a good and useful graphical tools to administer, easy pass through of USB drives, shared folders. And it looked liked I could not reliably use it, it crashed on me spontaneously several times. So I dropped my try.

To pass through USB you have to install the extension pack, without it would not work. And you need to be in the vboxusers group. If I remember correctly on Beowulf I had to load some modules. That wasn't required with ASCII. Got an old XP and a Win7 virtual machine working fine for me (and I use VB to try Linux distros and new versions like Chimaera in VB).

If you need support give us a shout.

rolfie

#13 2020-11-03 22:07:47

swarfendor437

PedroReina wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:

I've tried searching the forum using "Alternatives to Virtual Box" but not coming up with anything. ... Do people find Qemu workable?

It seems so:
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=19495#p19495

swarfendor437 wrote:

I don't want to go down the VMWare

I dont need VMWare since a lot time. In 2005 I had to buy a license because I did not find an alternative. Not needed anymore. YMMV.

Thanks for your reply - I will give it a try (have installed the packages already) and see how it fares - if it gets too icky - I may return to VB like rolfie.

#14 2020-11-03 22:11:14

swarfendor437

rolfie wrote:

I am using VB for many years now, no issues with it. Some people say its crap because its from Oracle. Ok.

Tried qemu, and did not have the features I used to have with VB: a good and useful graphical tools to administer, easy pass through of USB drives, shared folders. And it looked liked I could not reliably use it, it crashed on me spontaneously several times. So I dropped my try.

To pass through USB you have to install the extension pack, without it would not work. And you need to be in the vboxusers group. If I remember correctly on Beowulf I had to load some modules. That wasn't required with ASCII. Got an old XP and a Win7 virtual machine working fine for me (and I use VB to try Linux distros and new versions like Chimaera in VB).

If you need support give us a shout.

rolfie

Hi rolfie,

I know all about the extensions pack - it wasn't until a user on the other OS forum I used to partake had a similar issue - (Gnome DE) - USB was not working - needed 'gnome-tools' - I did that (don't know what KDE needs cf. gnome-tools) but in KDE created a USB filter and labelled it I: to ensure no clashes with other device names but it just does not pickup either USB 3.0 port or USB 2.0 port when I put my SanDisk Ultra 64 Gb stick in - shows up in Host obviously. I was hoping I could cut and paste from downloads in guest OS to Host OS without much success which is what I would really like to achieve. Thanks for responding too.

#15 2020-11-04 17:24:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

rolfie wrote:

I am using VB for many years now, no issues with it. Some people say its crap because its from Oracle.

It's crap because it needs proprietary blobs to work properly, it's slower than QEMU/KVM and the developers have a long history of ignoring security vulnerabilities (which is why it was removed from Debian's stable releases and backports).

@OP: gnome-boxes provides a very easy to use front end for QEMU/KVM.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#16 2020-11-04 21:43:42

zapper

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
rolfie wrote:

I am using VB for many years now, no issues with it. Some people say its crap because its from Oracle.

It's crap because it needs proprietary blobs to work properly, it's slower than QEMU/KVM and the developers have a long history of ignoring security vulnerabilities (which is why it was removed from Debian's stable releases and backports).

Seconded, virtualbox has been crap for a long time.  Matter of fact, the only version I ever liked was 4.1 which didn't require that infernal  non-free watcom compiler

But who knows, it might even have been crap then.

As for if its slower, I am not sure. I haven't used it since 4.1 versions. That was during ubuntu 14.04's life span.  wink

Glad its been removed, surprised though, I thought Debian would have kept it longer. 
If you want to use qemu this is a better option and should be stickied for a long time to come.
:
This is what I do:

qemu-img create -f qcow2 name-of.qcow2 100g

In the directory where you made your image put your iso and:

sudo kvm -m (amount of memory for VM, i.e. 2048) -cdrom (name of image, i.e., gnuinos.iso) -boot d name-of.qcow2

To start the image after install do:

sudo kvm -m (amount of memory for VM, i.e. 2048)  name-of.qcow2

This is a guide I "borrowed" from gnuinos libre topic. smile

Aka, not my idea.

Edited it to be a qcow2 image though... ;P

Last edited by zapper (2020-11-04 21:44:43)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#17 2020-11-05 20:55:01

swarfendor437

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
rolfie wrote:

Many thanks again Head_on_a_Stick for this information. I appreciate it. We all have to take security very seriously in these trying times.

Can you use Gnome Boxes in a KDE environment? I've fallen in love again with KDE (Plasma) - the wallpapers are outstanding.

https://ibb.co/CvwhJBh

Last edited by swarfendor437 (2020-11-05 21:02:38)

#18 2020-11-05 20:57:43

swarfendor437

zapper wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
rolfie wrote:

Seconded, virtualbox has been crap for a long time.  Matter of fact, the only version I ever liked was 4.1 which didn't require that infernal  non-free watcom compiler

As for if its slower, I am not sure. I haven't used it since 4.1 versions. That was during ubuntu 14.04's life span.  wink

Glad its been removed, surprised though, I thought Debian would have kept it longer. 
If you want to use qemu this is a better option and should be stickied for a long time to come.
:
This is what I do:

sudo kvm -m (amount of memory for VM, i.e. 2048) -cdrom (name of image, i.e., gnuinos.iso) -boot d name-of.qcow2

Aka, not my idea.

Hi zapper,

thanks for the impromptu lesson on qemu - I'm going to have to stop being lazy and get into the habit of learning CLI - I was just getting into Amiga CLI when I took delivery of my first Windows PC a Pentium P120 (Now an archived AMD 400 Evergreen processor sits in it!). Hope you don't mind me pointing out an error in your sig:

"Haughtiness comes before a fall, pride before destruction." ;-)

#19 2020-11-05 21:11:19

xinomilo
Unknown

another GUI suggestion for qemu/kvm (and more...) : virt-manager

#20 2020-11-05 21:16:49

swarfendor437

xinomilo wrote:

another GUI suggestion for qemu/kvm (and more...) : virt-manager

Hi xinomilo,

Thanks for your input, appreciated - I did look at that package while searching for qemu in Synaptic Package Manager. Will have to take some time out to look at all this.

#21 2020-11-05 22:11:57

zapper

swarfendor437 wrote:
zapper wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

:
This is what I do:

Aka, not my idea.

Hi zapper,

thanks for the impromptu lesson on qemu - I'm going to have to stop being lazy and get into the habit of learning CLI - I was just getting into Amiga CLI when I took delivery of my first Windows PC a Pentium P120 (Now an archived AMD 400 Evergreen processor sits in it!). Hope you don't mind me pointing out an error in your sig:

"Haughtiness comes before a fall, pride before destruction." ;-)

Lol, I may have misquoted, but yeah, it at least means something close to that. wink

On an unrelated note...   

This is the person who showed me that method with img instead of qcow2:  https://dev1galaxy.org/profile.php?id=4889

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=712

That's the thread, thank him if you want, I just edited it and changed it from img to qcow2.  smile

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#22 2020-11-06 18:13:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Don't run QEMU (kvm) as root, that's not a good idea.

#23 2020-11-07 01:35:15

zapper

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Don't run QEMU (kvm) as root, that's not a good idea.

What about firejailing qemu? With --seccomp and --noroot and --noprofile?

smile

Peace Be With us All!

#24 2020-11-07 16:45:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

There's no point sandboxing a VM because the isolation offered by a virtual machine exceeds that provided by Seccomp BPF.

#25 2020-11-10 20:50:05

swarfendor437

I am beginning to wonder ... do I really need to run VM's at all any more now that I have discovered Devuan, am free of grotesque System.d and bloatware of Pulse Audio from the same author! big_smile

Oh, and no more 'snap' and MFI 'flatpak'! Leave it to IKEA! big_smile

Last edited by swarfendor437 (2020-11-10 20:51:06)

Board footer