The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-09-13 18:34:32

tuxd3v

Re: mnt reform support?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

PowerPC (PPC64?) is old and slow and doesn't really compare with the current 7nm x86_64 AMD processors.

Well, actually PowerPC is one of the newest arch's around, created initially in the 90's, and its a open arch, even NXP gave permission to fully open documentation to the project www.powerpc-notebook.org.
It is part of the Open Power Community..

Yes, this processor in cause, is not as powerful as 7nm x86_64 launched recently, but it is the best performance/Open/Cost option available at the moment by far..
It has all the connectivity modern hardware has, and its a lot more performant than a ARM cortex a53, by far..

Best Regards,
tux

#27 2020-09-15 07:27:13

zapper

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
tuxd3v wrote:

Other project, that is not ARM based, but Instead PowerPC based is the www.powerpc-notebook.org

PowerPC (PPC64?) is old and slow and doesn't really compare with the current 7nm x86_64 AMD processors.

The RISC-V laptop from Balthazar looks interesting but all RISC-V implementations are focused on power efficiency rather than performance so the same would apply to those.

POWER9 (pp64el) and perhaps POWER10 both compete on performance, if not price, and Raptor offer fully free (as in speech) desktops: https://www.raptorcs.com/content/BK1B01/intro.html

But with a TDP in excess of 90W (!) I don't think we'll see any laptops based on that ISA...

You see, before you why I do not trust openpower for the foreseeable future.  Its too damn heavy wattage wise.

If I cannot use it on a laptop, and if its that heavy, no use for me.

Servers it might be good for, but all else... no way...

ARM and Risc-V are the future.  Well... actually arm is more now related, but Risc-V is the future period. Until someone else develops something more secure... wink

#28 2020-09-15 07:31:42

zapper

tuxd3v wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Well, actually PowerPC is one of the newest arch's around, created initially in the 90's, and its a open arch, even NXP gave permission to fully open documentation to the project www.powerpc-notebook.org.
It is part of the Open Power Community..

Yes, this processor in cause, is not as powerful as 7nm x86_64 launched recently, but it is the best performance/Open/Cost option available at the moment by far..
It has all the connectivity modern hardware has, and its a lot more performant than a ARM cortex a53, by far..

I wonder if any processors based on A76 or A77  will be liberated in maybe 5-10 years of their blobs... or perhaps under 5 years...

Why? Well no meltdown spectre vulnerabilities for them. smile

We can hope right?     

Till Risc-V comes out with something as fast as intel's p8600 or faster.

Anyways, I am pondering stuff right now.   I will have time to ponder long after this. Thanks for particpating in this thread.

I wonder if I should wait on balthazar.space'  idea of a laptop.

Board footer