The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-16 01:53:41

Vernon

HOWTO: Beowulf Printer Setup - The Easy Way

Background

Most modern printers (those manufactured after 2010) support

• WI-FI Direct (Printer has its own HotSpot)

• IPP

• Airprint

We are going to use this fact to easily set up your printer for your Beowulf box.

Printer with an Ethernet Port

If you have a printer with an Ethernet port, like the HL-3170CDW, perform the following steps.

1. With an Ethernet cable, connect your printer to your wireless router,

2. Turn on your printer

Done!! Your Beowulf box will auto-magically detect your printer and make it available to all your applications. As an added bonus, this printer will also be auto-magically detected and available to all your Apple Macs, IPhones and Ipads.

Wireless Set-up
  1. First, lets install some tools.

apt-get install avahi-utils most
  2. Turn On your printer

3. Connect to your printer's HotSpot

4. Find your printer's administration web server

avahi-browse -tar | most

Look for adminurl. For the HP LaserJet M15w, the adminurl is http://NPI820824.local

5. Copy and paste the  adminurl into your web browser and bookmark the page.

6. Navigate to your printer's wireless set-up page and connect your printer to your wireless router Access Point

7. Re-connect your Devuan box to your own WiFi network. Note that the printer's  adminurl is identical whether you are connected to your printer's Access Point or your wireless router's Access Point.

Done!! Your Beowulf box will auto-magically detect your printer and make it available to all your applications. As an added bonus, this printer will also be auto-magically detected and available to all your Apple Macs, IPhones and Ipads.

Older Printers

If you have an older printer that does not support Airprint etc or even doesn't support networking that is already configured via CUPS on another system,  you can make is available to your Devuan box and all Apple computers and devices as well.

On the computer with the configured CUPS printer, browse to http://localhost:631/admin. Tick the Share printers connected to this system and the Allow printing from the Internet boxes and save the changes,

Your printer should now be available to all your Linux boxes.

This link here explains how to make your printer available to all you Apple devices. I have only used this on Fedora but it should work with other Linux distributions including Devuan.

When I installed Beowulf on my netbook, all of my  printers auto-magically appeared and I did not have to configure anything.

Last edited by Vernon (2020-08-16 03:42:02)

Board footer