The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-13 18:40:52

coyotito

recovering root file system on every reboot

This is a somewhat unusual installation - dist-upgrade from an antiX-MX 18 (Debian Stretch) installation to Beowulf.
Two reasons for doing this: it had some problems, minor random desktop freezes, and I just wanted to see if this was possible.
it was, I got a fully working system and some of the small problems actually disappeared.
The upgrade process was somewhat complicated of course.

One thing i don't quite understand is that i now get 'recovering journal' on every reboot. Then 'dev/sdc1 clean'.
Have checked the SSD with various tools: it is in perfect shape, many write cycles left.
So no actual problem and I just ignore this.

But if i wanted to look into changing this, where do I look?

#2 2020-08-13 18:50:05

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: recovering root file system on every reboot

coyotito wrote:

dist-upgrade from an antiX-MX 18 (Debian Stretch) installation to Beowulf

I'm sure anticapitalista will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think antiX or MX (which is it btw?) offer a supported upgrade path from version 18, they recommend a new installation for version 19, so upgrading to beowulf is unlikely to work without some problems.

coyotito wrote:

i now get 'recovering journal' on every reboot. Then 'dev/sdc1 clean'.

Have you tried fsck(8)? Either from recovery mode or the live environment.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2020-08-13 20:33:21

coyotito

Correct, not supported.
This seems to be because Debian has made some changes that made it more difficult to use another init than systemd.

My system was MX-18, not antiX. Of course a dist-upgrade to a different distro is not supported. But upgrading to Beowulf may be less problematic than dist-upgrading to 19.

I did get a number of issues but they were fixable.

Tried fsck and it said the same: recovering journal, fs clean.

So i guess what I need is the correct shutdown code for the terminal that will spell out for the system to shut down the fs correctly?

#4 2020-08-14 08:40:27

Geoff 42

coyotito wrote:

i now get 'recovering journal' on every reboot. Then 'dev/sdc1 clean'.

I was getting this while playing with openrc-init. The problem is probably caused by something not shutting down properly and you should look through the log files for something being unable to be unmounted as it is still active, or something like that.

Geoff

#5 2020-08-14 17:13:53

coyotito

A quick look did not reveal anything. It is not a problem so I think i will just ignore it. The messages about it are done in 1 sec ..

#6 2020-08-14 17:20:29

coyotito

Seems playing around with openrc is best done in Artix. Just tried it on my laptop and their setup is really good. Networkmanager apparently runs with no problems f.ex (have not tried it yet as the live cd comes with Conman) Somewhat less bleeding edge than Arch itself - they say because their server fills up - maybe a joke smile

Board footer