The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-12 01:07:32

the.drewster

Unusual locale issue with GUI

I seem to have managed to hit an unusual locale bug with Devuan ASCII.

I have installed the system as UK English, and on login SLIM seems to follow the UK keyboard layout, but doesn't allow the UK pound sign.  Shift+3 gives no character.  Once I have logged in, the GUI is in US English, along with a US keyboard layout.  The Language indicator in the system tray shows English (US) and any software started has the US keyboard layout.

However, if I run locale, it shows my locale to be en_GB.UTF8.  If I use CTRL+ALT+F1 to start a tty, this is in UK English with a UK keyboard layout.

I have run through several tutorials on how to change the language, including dpkg-reconfigure locales, checking the /etc/default.d/locale (UK English) and creating a .i18n file in my home directory forcing UK English and adding a script to source this file on xfce4 startup.

Running through the keyboard layout shows a UK English keyboard layout already selected.

I have installed LXDE, and this is also in US English, which is why I think it may be something to do with slim or GDM.

This is a Lenovo L570 laptop.

Just to make things more interesting, I installed a Lenovo L540 laptop a couple of days before this one from the same USB stick, and that one is working perfectly in UK English, including the keyboard setup.

I installed from the Devuan ASCII 2.1 full iso.

I have checked the system logs, and I can't see anything amiss.

Has anyone seen this before, and have any idea how to fix it?

Sorry for war and peace
Thanks
Drew

#2 2020-07-01 19:15:06

the.drewster

Re: Unusual locale issue with GUI

Okay, I have found a way round it.  A bit of a horrible hack, but it does work.  I have included the following line in my .bashrc

setxkbmap -model thinkpad -layout gb

As this laptop is only used by me, this is fine.
I will keep looking for a better solution.

#3 2020-07-01 19:38:12

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

You can set the keyboard layout with an X.Org configuration file: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xo … tion_files

EDIT: or add the setxkbmap command to ~/.xsessionrc.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2020-07-01 19:39:00)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2020-07-01 19:54:23

the.drewster

Funnily enough, that was exactly the page I was looking at.  I had a look at the config files, The entire xorg.conf.d directory isn't there.  I may try adding it and seeing if it works.

I do think though that putting it in ~/.xsessionrc is a better idea than .bashrc, thank you.

#5 2020-07-01 20:08:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

the.drewster wrote:

FThe entire xorg.conf.d directory isn't there.  I may try adding it and seeing if it works.

Yeah, you have to create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ yourself.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#6 2020-07-03 00:43:04

the.drewster

I tried it in .xsessionrc, but it wasn't picked up on login, so I have put it back in .bashrc for the moment.  When it isn't nearly 2am, I'll try creating the xorg.conf.d folder and putting it in there.

Last edited by the.drewster (2020-07-03 00:43:32)

Board footer