The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-14 10:06:01

HevyDevy

xdm - X Display Manager (on beowulf system with no dbus operational)

Ran into something this afternoon i thought strange, it probably because im missing something or other.
On beowulf using sysvinit, dbus disabled i installed xdm , rebooted and xdm failed to source .profile.
I have .xinitrc softlinked to .xsession

Should i be using .xprofile instead? <-- tried this, did not work copying over contents of .profile to .xprofile, not having .profile sourced means it loses some of my $PATH setup there.

In the meantime i found a decent fix whereby i just add in a file to  /etc/X11/Xsession.d/75local-profile

# Source a users .profile, etc
PROFILES="/etc/profile $HOME/.profile /etc/xprofile $HOME/.xprofile"

for PROFILE in $PROFILES ; do
  [ -f "$PROFILE" ] && . "$PROFILE"
done

/bin/true

credit to https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 … 02457.html

Regards.

Last edited by HevyDevy (2020-06-14 10:12:10)

When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy

#2 2020-06-14 10:41:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: xdm - X Display Manager (on beowulf system with no dbus operational)

If you place a file at ~/.xsessionrc it will be read by any and all display managers (and also the startx command) without any need for special hacks.

https://wiki.debian.org/Xsession

And you should use ~/.xsession instead of ~/.xinitrc (rather than as well as), at least according to the startx man page.

Black Lives Matter

#3 2020-06-14 12:01:19

HevyDevy

ok Hoas, on your advice i have removed .xinitrc and .xsession (not your advice on removing those files but if just using .xsessionrc they should not be needed right?)

I only have .xsessionrc and in that file is

exec dwm

.profile is still not sourced so lets add in what it says in regards to Xsession

https://wiki.debian.org/Xsession

You may dot in some other POSIX shell configuration file: if [ -r ~/.profile ]; then . ~/.profile; fi

nope .profile is still not being sourced.

When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy

#4 2020-06-14 12:57:56

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Oh really? In which case sorry for the misinformation. I've never actually tried xdm.

EDIT: hold on, did you source ~/.profile before the exec dwm line? Nothing in that file will be read after an exec statement.

And ~/.xsessionrc isn't really intended as a replacement for ~/.xsession, it is an adjunct to that file.

Devuan's display managers should automatically start whatever is set as the x-session-manager alternative with no need for further configuration, or /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager otherwise.

How did you install dwm? Is it the Devuan package or did you compile it yourself?

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2020-06-14 13:02:42)

Black Lives Matter

#5 2020-06-14 13:08:51

HevyDevy

yes i did source before exec dwm.

if    [ -r ~/.profile ]; then
        . ~/.profile; 
fi

exec dwm

dwm is from suckless.org so, built from source.

There is definetly something im missing here, if i go back to startx and remove xdm .profile is sourced again.

Last edited by HevyDevy (2020-06-14 13:09:17)

~ Cree Prophecy

#6 2020-06-14 17:47:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

What about if you have ~/.xsession with just exec dwm and then add ~/.xsessionrc to source ~/.profile?

You probably shouldn't use xdm any way because it will run X under the root user. The startx command runs X under your normal user, which is much better.

Black Lives Matter

#7 2020-06-15 09:01:13

HevyDevy

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

What about if you have ~/.xsession with just exec dwm and then add ~/.xsessionrc to source ~/.profile?

You probably shouldn't use xdm any way because it will run X under the root user. The startx command runs X under your normal user, which is much better.

Can confirm that having ~/.xsession with just exec dwm and ~/.xsessionrc sourcing ~/.profile is the solution.

I prefer startx but even that i believe needs root rights as i have to install xserver-xorg-legacy and the modify  /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
to have..
needs_root_rights=yes

I was just interested to use xdm as it seems like the only display manager that does not need dbus as a dependency.

Anyhow thanks.

EDIT: correction looks like lxdm doesnt need dbus either.

Last edited by HevyDevy (2020-06-15 09:09:01)

~ Cree Prophecy

#8 2020-06-15 09:10:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

HevyDevy wrote:

I believe needs root rights as i have to install xserver-xorg-legacy and the modify  /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
to have..
needs_root_rights=yes

Nope.

Devuan beowulf can now run rootless X OOTB (as long as the startx command is used) thanks to elogind smile

Black Lives Matter

#9 2020-06-15 09:30:13

HevyDevy

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
HevyDevy wrote:

I believe needs root rights as i have to install xserver-xorg-legacy and the modify  /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
to have..
needs_root_rights=yes

Nope.

Devuan beowulf can now run rootless X OOTB (as long as the startx command is used) thanks to elogind smile

That may be true if using elogind but elogind depends on dbus and as i dont have dbus enabled and i have it pinned i have to use xserver-xorg-legacy. Thems the disadvantage of not using dbus i suppose.

~ Cree Prophecy

Board footer