The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-15 13:19:30

bitfarmer

Beowulf – Network Interface Order

Hi Guys,

While I am absolutely thrilled with my Beowulf tests so far, running it both as dom0 and domU without a glitch, I am now wondering by what method I can change the network interface order? Seems like Debian now uses a systemd method which obviously is irrelevant here. Ref: Debian Interface Names

Thanks

Ken

#2 2020-05-15 14:56:38

HevyDevy

Re: Beowulf – Network Interface Order

My install uses the old interface names like wlan0 and usb0 etc...

what are you getting and what do you mean by interface order ?

I think with systemd its something like enp0s7 or wlp7s0 etc...

Last edited by HevyDevy (2020-05-15 14:58:44)

#3 2020-05-15 15:10:04

bgstack15

Those aren't a systemd thing necessarily. You can help enforce using the old style names with a kernel boot parameter: "net.ifnames=0" but for some reason it's slipped my mind where that goes on a Devuan system, unless you want to go manually edit /boot/grub/menu.lst. On CentOS 7 it would just go in the variable GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in file /etc/sysconfig/grub and you would run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

If you want to go the manual route, for every "kernel" line in menu.lst, you would add the parameter "net.ifnames=0" at the end.

kernel      /vmlinuz-5.4.0-4-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/d2--03a--vg-root ro net.ifnames=0

But I'm sure there's an easier way to get that attribute in Devuan for every kernel entry. Maybe somebody can come rescue me from my half-knowledge.

This space intentionally left blank.

#4 2020-05-15 15:11:48

rolfie

I have some Beowulf versions running, never had the need to change the network names, all eth0 and not the new nonsense.

rolfie

#5 2020-05-15 15:23:26

fsmithred
Administrator

FYI: eudev uses the old names - eth0, wlan0...

If you want to use the new "predictable" names with eudev, add net.ifnames=1 to the boot command.

#6 2020-05-15 15:36:46

HevyDevy

so much easier having the old interface naming scheme, even when im messing about with systemd distros ill change them back to the old interface naming scheme via boot commands as fsmithred mentions but using net.ifnames=0

Last edited by HevyDevy (2020-05-15 15:38:36)

#7 2020-05-15 16:03:11

bitfarmer

OK I had better explain. First of all I do want the old interface names but they were not eth0 & eth1 on this system. They were eno1 & eno2, even under debian. Its a Asus P10S-I motherboard which is normally in use but I took it out of service to see how well Beowulf & Xen were working. Now I don't care that the name changed from en0? to eth? but I really don't want the interfaces coming up in a different order. reason: in production eno1 is the local controlling network whereas eno2 is the internet and there is a third network for iKVM but Linux doesn't see that.

Now I can adjust but at the moment I have been switching back and forth with Debian and I was merely trying to avoid making a silly mistake and exposing the whole machine to the world.

What is even more interesting is this:

udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/eth0 2>/dev/null
ID_NET_NAME_MAC=enx40b07690b669
ID_NET_NAME_ONBOARD=eno2
ID_NET_LABEL_ONBOARD=enINTEL I210
ID_NET_NAME_PATH=enp3s0

There you can see the original name and presumably the 'new name' that it might have been given but wasn't, but nowhere is eth1 mentioned!

Hope this explains it a bit and I know about the kernel param but like I said, I want the old names not the new.

K.

So if for no other reason, where are the names & order set up? I used to set the order in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules but that apparently will stop working in the future and in Beowulf the file doesn't exist.

#8 2020-05-15 16:45:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

bitfarmer wrote:

I do want the old interface names but they were not eth0 & eth1 on this system. They were eno1 & eno2, even under debian.

The eno interface names are the new "predictable" nomenclature, they are based on the firmware ("BIOS") provided index numbers for on-board devices. This is the first preference for systemd/udev when choosing a name.

See https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa … faceNames/

bitfarmer wrote:

I used to set the order in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules but that apparently will stop working in the future and in Beowulf the file doesn't exist.

Create that file yourself, it will continue to be honoured in any system that is not using the "predictable" nomenclature.

bgstack wrote:

On CentOS 7 it would just go in the variable GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in file /etc/sysconfig/grub and you would run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

For Devuan edit the file at /etc/default/grub and add the desired parameter to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line then run update-grub (as root).

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#9 2020-05-15 17:25:35

bgstack15

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

For Devuan edit the file at /etc/default/grub and add the desired parameter to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line then run update-grub (as root).

I guess update-grub operates just fine even if I don't have a /etc/default/grub file? I wasn't sure if I could just write a new file with the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable defined in the exact same way.

Thanks for sharing!

This space intentionally left blank.

#10 2020-05-15 17:43:35

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

bgstack15 wrote:

I guess update-grub operates just fine even if I don't have a /etc/default/grub file?

The update-grub command is just a wrapper script for grub-mkconfig(8):

#!/bin/sh
set -e
exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"

The grub-mkconfig(8) command's behaviour can be modified by /etc/default/grub, if that file does not exist then the default values listed in the upstream documentation will be used.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#11 2020-05-15 19:19:27

bitfarmer

Thanks for all the help!

I guess my confusion was not realising that debian had changed to "predictable" names and that's were the eno1|2 came from. And that contrary to what I had read I can still use the traditional way of altering things. I'll try a grub.cfg way first.

I'll see how I get on.

Board footer