The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-22 16:32:11

nonbrob user

bood manager ??

hi how are you all doing ??
have been insdalling several livesticks didn d works insdalled  on ssd ,broblem is de devuan boodrecord didn d indegrade de 2 oder gnu linux sysdems bud should ged some dada from dem sdill so wad do do  ??

wid kind regards haned

take all care ~ good way and (t)ime ~ haned in ned :-)
handicapped phonedic wrider ubber black foresd and nomadic

#2 2020-02-22 17:10:23

yeti

Re: bood manager ??

Ich dacht schon fast, die Sachsen kommen.

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#3 2020-02-22 17:44:02

fsmithred
Administrator

Make sure os-prober is installed and run update-grub and it should create boot entries for the other linux systems.

Note: If the other systems are encrypted, update-grub will not see them. In that case, create menuentries for them in /etc/grub.d/40_custom, and then run update-grub.

#4 2020-02-22 19:11:39

rolfie

yeti wrote:

Look at the signature of the OP, that explains a lot.

@OP: the "black forrest" may mean that you are from Germany. If that is the case and if it helps you, you may post in German. I will try to help directly in German or translate if I am stuck.

rolfie

Last edited by rolfie (2020-02-22 20:18:41)

#5 2020-02-23 05:09:20

nonbrob user

hi communidy  ~  thang you for answers and commends  ~  dond wand do worry you with my wriding sdyle~ a liddle background  ~ de dialecd here is or was spoken in several countries or etnies like now  german suisse austria france and dates back to roman time and before togeder with english french spanisch and high german ids now like id is  ~ wride me in german also email  is nod a brob bud may nod help others in de forum  a lod ~ bud this may be off topps we may discuss dere

hi admin thank you for rep  ~ fact > de hardware is a elder thing pad and very common with a non brob bios > the very beginning of booding doesnt work and booding takes very long > failed to connect to lvmetad>falling back to device scanning>openrc0.23 in 4.9.0.11 amd64>vers 2.88 booting

os brober is installed but nod in GUI > in terminal commend > os-prober unshare failed: Operation not permitted > so unable to stard de prog.

Last edited by nonbrob user (2020-02-23 06:01:42)

#6 2020-02-23 09:46:13

rolfie

nonbrob user wrote:

hi admin thank you for rep  ~ fact > de hardware is a elder thing pad and very common with a non brob bios > the very beginning of booding doesnt work and booding takes very long > failed to connect to lvmetad>falling back to device scanning>openrc0.23 in 4.9.0.11 amd64>vers 2.88 booting

Lets assume you have an older Thinkpad with normal Bios, and you have installed ASCII.

The message "failed to connect to lvmetad" shows that you also have a LVM configured. You can ignore the message, its normal. Booting obviously continues.

nonbrob user wrote:

os brober is installed but nod in GUI > in terminal commend > os-prober unshare failed: Operation not permitted > so unable to stard de prog.

Os-prober is a CLI command and requires root = admin priviliges to run. The message you get is when you run os-prober as user. Open a user terminal and enter su - and enter the root password. Then run os-prober.

rolfie

#7 2020-02-23 18:19:48

nonbrob user

helo rolfie thanks de answer,

dried os prober > no other  systems seen, >so obv devuan has overwritten de 2 oder sydems wad was nod de indendion, >de booding any way dages 5 min abbrox trisquel some seconds on dis combuder ?? i insdalled by  lvm question if de old sys es  could be rebuild ?

#8 2020-02-24 18:02:25

rolfie

hmm, you are new to Linux, aren't you? I guess you haven't installed two or three distros in parallel, but have overwritten them. Such an approach is not straight forward and something for the advanced user.

First of all, let have a look at the partitions on your disk. Open a console with root privilegues and enter fdisk -l. That should show how the disk is used currently. My preferred  gui program is gparted, could be an alternative for you.

Also wondering about the lvm. This is also something more advanced. Don't know if you have any special reason to use it on your laptop?
Some literature:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_volume_management
https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Logical_Volume_Manager/ (in German)
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

Is there anything else on the laptop like a Windows version?

rolfie

#9 2020-02-25 17:33:41

nonbrob user

hi dere, dang you for answering

<Open a console with root privilegues and enter fdisk -l. That should show how the disk is used currently. >
dere seems do be only devuan  on de disk
mi gnuli nowledge is nod so good bud der differend version handel dings also veri diffend,
quesdion may be if a rescue sys can find de old sysdems ?
assumed dad LVM maens dad various versions can be handled,
is de sedup roudine so logig and blausibel ??

#10 2020-02-25 18:45:40

rolfie

If fdisk only shows one or maybe two partitions (I can only guess, you are not disclosing details, there are many ways to set up a Linux system), I am pretty sure the last installation has overwritten everything older. I do not think any rescue system will find other Linux systems.

A LVM can be used for various things. One is that you can span a logical volume over a set of hard disk drives.

I am using if for a different purpose. My systems are all encrypted, with separate /boot partitions and also external /home drives. The Linux system hosts in an encrypted luks container that again hosts a physical volume for LVM typically consisting of two logical volumes, one for / and one for /swap. /swap typically resides in a separate partition.

If you use ASCII, you may analyse your LVM with system-config-lvm. This graphical program shows up under system tools and also requires root privilegues.

Using a LVM to support several Linux systems is an unsual approach, I never heard of it, this is outside my knowledge and experience. I know how to set up a Linux next to a Windows, but never have tried several Linux versions on a disk drive. There are for sure how-tos on the internet.

Good luck, rolfie

#11 2020-02-27 17:41:06

nonbrob user

helo rolfie dange der andword,

system-config-lvm shows> sda 5 root swap 1 home >wad means sda 1-4 should sdill exisd but no dool can find them

usuall i desd wid  live sysdems nod wiith de disk , some gnu~li edidions insdall beside oders ,some wand do dominade de disc jusd lin win , so whad os is realli free ?? non brobriedarie and sdill can handle f. e prinder and scanner and a sdable save browser and email prog ??

#12 2020-02-27 20:03:40

rolfie

You seem to have a pretty unusual setup. Well, sda5 being present must not mean that you must have sda1-4. If your disk has a msdos partition table, it is possible that you only have sda5 on that disk. msdos partitions do only support up to four primary partitions. Except there is a way out: you define one partition to be an extended partition. In the extended partition you can have up to I think 24 or so logical drives. Modern Linux distributions label the first logical drive in the extended partition sda5. In your case sda5 is a physical volume for an LVM, as system-config-lvm shows.

Use gparted to show the type of partition table (drive information) and if there isn't an sda1. I am not 100% sure, I never tried such a setup, but I think you must at least have a sda1 drive with /boot assigned to that partition.

Drives with gpt partition table work different, there you can have I think 128 primary partitions on a device, starting from sdx1 to sdx128. There is enough literature in the internet for these two scenarios.

Your approach trying out which distro suits your needs and your preferences in terms of tools, desktop etc. makes sense based on live systems. When your laptop supports booting from USB stick, use that, its faster.

My experience with installing live systems onto a PC is very mixed, maybe because very often I used special HW configurations like a socket 7 AMD K2 PC with an UltraTX133 card that was not supported by the kernels at the time when trying this, or later when insisting on encrypting my installations. I stick to official install media.

I started of with Debian Sarge on a file server, a small Linux based router, and began to experiment with Edge and Lenny in parallel to Windows. I moved to a Linux workstation more than 8 years ago using Squeeze with Gnome desktop.

Nowadays I am on ASCII with Mate desktop, and I am happy to use non-free firmware and e.g. Virtual Box from Oracle from contrib. My network (Realtek chipset) and Radeon graphics won't work without the non-free firmware, but I am not that picky. I use Evolution and Thunderbird for mail and news, Firefox ESR for internet, I have tried the TOR browser and Palemoon, cups for an old Kyocera colour printer with Postscript controlled by a PPD file from Kyocera, got a Canon scanner that works with xsane/gscan2pdf. Attention: Not all scanners are supported by Linux! I owned an older Canon scanner that only was supported under Windows. Had to operate it from a XP VM in VirtualBox, and stuck with this operation mode for several years until I was tired and spent the money for a new scanner selected to be supported under Linux.

There are a lot of other combinations of desktops and programs. A pure Debian/Devuan is free SW and in my eyes a good choice. Its wide spread, already lives quite a long time and is mature, and will go on living for quite a while making progress. There is a big community availabe to help you.

If you do not like to use non-free firmware, you might need to live with limitations. Your choice.

Have fun, rolfie

#13 2020-03-01 01:58:40

nonbrob user

yeti wrote:

hallo YETI wo auch immer im schneegebirge underwegs seins magsd ?? hier hinderm haus ein halber meder edwa gommd noch mer ?? uebrigens es gibd dadsaechlich verbindungen cum haus sachsen weimar eisenach in weimar, was machsd denn dechnisch so ? wenn das denglisch manche buddies  dond undersdand you may dranslade

#14 2020-03-01 02:40:57

nonbrob user

A pure Debian/Devuan is free SW and in my eyes a good choice.

hi dere how are you dis dime ?? dange der andword meine drial mid Knoppigs and suse dade about 20 years back beginning with a sinclair computer in 80 and assembler brogramming. ibmdos win  3.1 edc also tried f.e dails trisquel mint purism ua (by de way rescadux also doesnod find any more any ding on dis insdall ), bud ad some stage they sduck also . f.e. with an acdual hp scanner dey can nod handel bud is oficially subborded . my acdive gnu lin derminal knowledge is quied limided unfordunad,  brob will dry a  new sedup wid devuan acdually us a non brob bios (have do review de cpu info ) dad  runs de old machine quid fasd ,bud also sdill some brobs . by de way de tor browser gives nodice dad dis side is nod safe ??

non-free sofdware firmware

dere seems do  be also a bermanend drial do subbord and bring gnuli sysdems indo nonfree sofdware over dime brobably , if a "geisdiges eigendum" wirglich egsisds, besides einem "jurisdenbeschaefdigungsbrogramm",  isd vielleichd eine andere frage ?? de acdual silicon tech may end wid de 7 nanomeder sdrugdure wad you thing ??

Board footer