The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-01-16 04:30:21

steve

Re: installing nvidia drivers on ascii 2.1

One of the next problems, an annoying issue, really, is getting things to be on the correct screens, after everything is supposedly installed and running.  The main thing is getting the login to be on the correct screen.  The detection which goes on to 'automatically' figure out from my displays the resolution to use always puts them at a resolution that is out-of-range for the monitor.  But I can have a 3rd monitor, an ancient 1680x1050 connected, and if that is the only monitor connected, the login shows up there.  I can login, and then connect the other two, main, monitors, and they usually work at the 1980x1080x60Hz I have them set.  The monitors are supposedly 2K monitors, but I can't read anything at the high-resolution.  And the autodetect frequently tries to run the monitors at 74.5Hz, which seems to be the culprit in making them black when I start the system.

#27 2020-01-16 16:28:49

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

steve wrote:

Running

apt-get -s -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes install nvidia-driver

did result in ... lot's of activity. but then ended with the same group of lines again

Yes, the command was diagnostic in nature and I was hoping you would post it so I could see what the root of the problem was. FWIW I think it was the backported libgl1 package but we'll never know now...

steve wrote:

getting things to be on the correct screens

Use an X.Org configuration file.

#oldskool

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#28 2020-01-16 18:09:17

steve

Yes, the command was diagnostic in nature and I was hoping you would post it so I could see what the root of the problem was. FWIW I think it was the backported libgl1 package but we'll never know now...

Oh!  I thought maybe I irritated someone with my last lengthy log-post, so I didn't even think about saving the output at the time.  My mistake.  But I may end up wiping and conducting a new install yet, anyway, so I'll attempt to repeat the procedure and post it.

steve wrote:

getting things to be on the correct screens

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Use an X.Org configuration file.

Yes, that is a good suggestion.  It doesn't seem to have worked.   I first looked at minimal conf files written from scratch, then I decided I'll copy the one from my successful Xubuntu install that was made on this same box.  The problem has stayed the same, which may mean I either put the file in the wrong place and it's getting ignored, or it didn't really change what needs to be changed.

Board footer