The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-26 12:46:38

sbug

devuan installation boot but not works !!!!

Hello, first of all, thanks very much to everybody who works on this distro.
i'm not master of computers but since 8 years i do use unix based systems, and by copy and paste i could reach to get almost all i had need to do, even modify the kernel, but only because of determination and time to invest, any knoledges, than i am nubb
And english it is not my native language, so please be patient.

i use Devuan since 2 years, and i decide ( without think too long -cause systemd-) that is my favorite distro. but in the last year i was travelling and for different reasons i ended up with a linux distro.

Finally now, i have time to build up my personalized OS, but i have problem to get Devuan working on my laptop. Please HELP.

Until 1 year ago, all was ok, for jessy and ascii
Until last march, i was able to install Devuan on my laptop only by running refractainstaller on terminal, after booting the live-cd

NOW i can install a working system, only with minimal-cd,
the others images you have, can be installed, but the system will not run.
It is not question of booting, when i restart after installation, everything goes ok ( but very slow ), and when the display manager should appear to log in, nothing appens, not even possible get into a shell with f1 ( or f7).

at the same, i cannot even try the live-cd, because i have the same problem. on virtual-box all works fine.

I tried different parameters with netinst, but nothing again.    i choose sysvinit, and all the extras i can put in, but nothing.
I do not have same problem with others distros, and also debian goes well.

i have hp laptop, but was not a problem until 6 moths ago.

please help me, i want Devuan in my laptop.  thanx

#2 2019-10-26 13:42:57

Andre4freedom

Re: devuan installation boot but not works !!!!

Hi,
I'm working on a HP laptop computer (EliteBook 8460p) using Devuan ASCII with the latest updates.
When trying a re-install, be sure to disable "Secure Boot" in your BIOS-Setup program.
To make sure you have no trouble booting the system, you can limit the hard-disk boot mode to CHS (MBR Boot Architecture) and not GPT.
I had some nasty surprises when doing a dist-upgrade to Beowulf because of the disk-mode. All resolved by now.
The standard Devuan installer does quite a good job provided you let it partition the disk. You still can set /home apart in its own partition during the insallation.
Good luck.
(Devuan ASCII and BEOWULF, using OpenRC, lightdm and Cinnamon - I'm very happy with it)

#3 2019-10-28 05:52:00

sbug

Hi, thanx to replay, nothing works yet. Unfortunately there is not the option secure boot on my bios set up, laptop is very old,  i tried different option but nothing.
About the hard-disk, do you mean the formatting? i used msdos, and gpt, but nothing, not on usb not on hdd.
As i said, i am quite ignorant about computer, but if i understund what boot is, i do not think that is the problem, because the processes are running i can see them on the screen running after installation on hdd or from live-usb, the system it is actually starting.
What is strange it is that until a few month ago all was working fine, i start to think that i was still using Jessie, and this is my first attemp with Ascii ( i did not have the laptop in my hand that much, so is possible i am confuse about the version).
Anyway the problem stands
Today if possible i will try to install jessie, and last chance i have for now, is to use OpenRC instead of sysvinit, hope it will works, i start to be little bit tired after several attempts of installation, it is a week already now.

Thanx, i'll let you know, and please have fun about rubbish i talk about computers, i never learn properly, than i suppose that sounds funny the way i talk about "computers things!!". 

thanx, by

#4 2019-10-28 08:16:39

ToxicExMachina

Try to install system without display manager and run X11 via startx command.
Laptop model and hardware specs will be helpful to find the reason of the problem.

#5 2019-10-28 09:35:07

Andre4freedom

Hello sbug,
ToxicExMachina is right, that is the method to get to the cause of the problems. This can help in case you have an exotic graphics hardware in your laptop.
But if you don't have the experience doing troubleshooting, one thing that should always work on an old computer is this:
1. Use the BIOS setup program to reset all params to their defaults
2. Insert the ASCII install CD into your drive
3. Do a standard install and let the installer completely format the disk and "Use the whole disk" to set up your partitions. You can choose this option having your /home on its own partition. The install-program does all that correctly.
4. Allow the installer to use free and non-free software (video drivers, codecs, etc)
5. Let the program finish its work and reboot

For you reference, here is the link to the official DEVUAN Install Guide:
https://devuan.org/os/documentation/ins … start-here

I hope that helps - please let us know.
Good luck - Andre

#6 2019-10-28 15:02:17

sbug

hi, again, this morning i tried jessie, and it works fine, so that was the release i used before, same issue i already had, installation works for me only running refractainstaller  via terminal, but than all it is fine.

tonight i can attempt to reinstall with openrc, and follow yours advices, for now i only have time to paste the specs of the laptop.

ABOUT advises you gave me...

Andre4freedom all you written to me, i did, and i suppose in a good way, but just to be sure i' ll read again the link you send me, the only think it is that i have not CD (he!,he!), i need to use usb. thanks

ToxicExMachina, i was actully thinking about this, because in the past i had a lot to deal with display manager, i have also supposed that maybe, the computer see 2 monitors, but when i tried to get into shell with f1 login login poweroff (all whitout screen view), nothing happened) . So i was thinking to try to install by the Minimal-CD, that is the only one i can get working ( more or less, only a little problem with repository, but i should solve it).
So please can you tell me how to install the system without display manager? normally i did this by installing mini.iso, is there another way that i can get it, modifying the file.iso or get into the shell during the installation? please tell me. thanks
or just install via netboot whitaut any software ??? like  mini.iso

My laptop specs...
model HP Compaq tc4400

the laptop has kind of tablet screen, actually i had problem also with the installation of last ubuntu or fedora, screen was up side down.

~$ hwinfo --short
cpu:                                                            
                       Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T5500  @ 1.66GHz, 1555 MHz
                       Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T5500  @ 1.66GHz, 1500 MHz
keyboard:
  /dev/input/event3    AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
mouse:
  /dev/input/mice      SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
joystick:
  /dev/input/event6    ST LIS3LV02DL Accelerometer
monitor:
                       LCD Monitor
graphics card:
                       Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
                       Intel 945 GM
sound:
                       Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
storage:
                       Intel 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
                       Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
                       Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller
network:
  ens1                 Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5753M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
  wlp16s0              Hewlett-Packard Company PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
network interface:
  ens1                 Ethernet network interface
  lo                   Loopback network interface
  wlp16s0              Ethernet network interface
disk:
  /dev/sdb             Kingston DataTraveler 2.0
  /dev/sda             HITACHI HTS72321
partition:
  /dev/sdb1            Partition
  /dev/sda1            Partition
usb controller:
                       Intel NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4
                       Intel NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2
                       Intel NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3
                       Intel NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1
                       Intel NM10/ICH7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller
bios:
                       BIOS
bridge:
                       Intel NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 1
                       Intel 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge
                       Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
                       Intel NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 4
                       Intel 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
                       Intel Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub
                       Intel NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 2
hub:
                       Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                       Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
memory:
                       Main Memory
unknown:
                       FPU
                       DMA controller
                       PIC
                       Keyboard controller
  /dev/lp0             Parallel controller
                       Texas Instruments PCIxx12 GemCore based SmartCard controller
                       Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
                       Serial controller
~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 01)
02:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
02:06.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Flash Media Controller
02:06.3 SD Host controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
02:06.4 Communication controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 GemCore based SmartCard controller
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5753M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 21)
10:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

thanks... soon

Last edited by sbug (2019-10-28 15:38:53)

#7 2019-10-28 16:20:56

Andre4freedom

hello,
well then, this is not quite a standard PC, it's a kind of tablet-notebook hybrid.
The hardware in it is fairly weel known and it should work... where it running jessie prives it.
When installing the new OS, have you allowed the installer to use proprietary software (for video drivers)?

Have you the following packages on your system?
ii  x11-xserver-utils                                 7.7+7+b1                                    amd64        X server utilities
ii  xserver-common                                    2:1.19.2-1+deb9u5                           all          common files used by various X servers
ii  xserver-xorg                                      1:7.7+19                                    amd64        X.Org X server
ii  xserver-xorg-core                                 2:1.19.2-1+deb9u5                           amd64        Xorg X server - core server
ii  xserver-xorg-input-all                            1:7.7+19                                    amd64        X.Org X server -- input driver metapackage
ii  xserver-xorg-input-libinput                       0.23.0-2                                    amd64        X.Org X server -- libinput input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-legacy                               2:1.19.2-1+deb9u5                           amd64        setuid root Xorg server wrapper
ii  xserver-xorg-video-all                            1:7.7+19                                    amd64        X.Org X server -- output driver metapackage
ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel                          2:2.99.917+git20161206-1                    amd64        X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver

ii  firmware-iwlwifi                                  20161130-5                                  all          Binary firmware for Intel Wireless cards
ii  firmware-linux-free                               3.4                                         all          Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel

Which displaymanager do you use? lightdm, lxdm, xdm???
Please try to start X11 from the commandline and see what it tells. It creates some logs that gives you hints about potential issues.

As ToxicExMachina suggests.
Good luck.
André

#8 2019-10-29 05:42:04

ToxicExMachina

sbug wrote:

ToxicExMachina, i was actully thinking about this, because in the past i had a lot to deal with display manager, i have also supposed that maybe, the computer see 2 monitors, but when i tried to get into shell with f1 login login poweroff (all whitout screen view), nothing happened) . So i was thinking to try to install by the Minimal-CD, that is the only one i can get working ( more or less, only a little problem with repository, but i should solve it).
So please can you tell me how to install the system without display manager? normally i did this by installing mini.iso, is there another way that i can get it, modifying the file.iso or get into the shell during the installation? please tell me. thanks
or just install via netboot whitaut any software ??? like  mini.iso

My laptop specs...
model HP Compaq tc4400

The main idea is to check X11 startup. If console works fine then the problem may be caused by display manager. To install system without DM you shouldn't choose the desktop target then install X11 with WM or DE manually. Another way is to remove DM after successful installation. You'l able to run X11 with simple startx command. You can also try to check X11 logs. May be there is something wrong with videodriver.

As for laptop model I think Devuan should work properly out of box. I use Devuan on Thinkpad X230t. It's similar laptop with integrated wacom tablet. Everything works out of box even in console without X11 (including stylus pen).

#9 2019-10-29 10:33:48

sbug

Hello, thanks again for attention, i have some developments.
Last night i tried to install core system whit OpenRC, and it stars fine. But when i tried to install packages, wicd was often running off and  the system crashing, manually i had to reboot from pc, and when i installed Slim, the problem happened again.
Then i tried to reinstall full system with OpenRc but i was tired and i fell asleep, and than after maybe 15 or 20 min the system was on working fine, than i changed slim with lightdm by synaptic but the same again, also to power off takes something like 5 minutes.

On the end system works, but when the login should appear the Cpu starts working very very slow, also the fan turns off, that is the same was happening with sysvinit. Today i'll try again the Live, and see if starts in 30minutes, then try to install with refracta...

ToxicExMachina, i had to read 4 times what you write, but now i got it smile thanks  this are the steps i tried last night actually but as i told this is given me problem with wicd, it is happened exactly the same with Minimal-CD.
i can update, install some packages, but then stop retrieving and crash, so the procedure was never clean, i will try also this today.
Need to go now,

Thanx

...soon

#10 2019-10-29 15:03:04

Andre4freedom

Hello again,
Why do you trouble yourself with that hardest possible way to install Devuan?
If you want a trouble-free installation:

1. Download the latest iso: devuan_ascii_2.1_amd64_dvd-1.iso
2. dd it to your USB stick
3. Boot that stick
4. Choose "Graphical install"
5. Partioning the disk: choose "the whole disk" and choose /home to reside in its own partition
6. Choose only one graphical environment (I prefer Cinnamon) plus possibly ssh-server and console-tools
7. Choose your preferred init system (OpenRC for me)
8. Choose the right harddisk to install GRUB2 on (the disk, not the USB stick)
9. Let the installer finish the job
10. Reboot..... and bang.... it runs like a charm
11. One file to modify: /etc/pamd-d/lightdm-greeter
----> replace the line "session   optional pam_systemd.so" to "session   optional pam_elogind.so"

I run the default Network-Manager with this setup, wicd is not my friend.
I've just done this setup on an old laptop to prove it works that way. It does.
Just for fun, I've upgraded this new system to Beowulf. Guess what: it works perfectly well too. THANK YOU, DEVUAN, you are the greatest!
Enjoy!

#11 2019-10-29 15:44:55

sbug

Andre4freedom, this is the hardest way i know, you have reason, but first i never had problem before, also if i am nubb i am use to do netboot and expert install since about 6 years without problems, if you read again my previous post, this is the only way i can get things working, more or less!!! since last night. 
and anyway until i jessie was ok, so what is it changed now???
as i told, this happens, only whit Devuan, that is the only OS i would like to keep sad   and also if the laptop is kind of hybrid i always installed everything on it, linux, debian, slack, bsd. fedora, all i wanted until Devuan ascii, that anyway runs properly, if installed into virtualbox, (but maybe this is something else, also if i remember that virtualbox exactly interface pc hardware and virtual machine.)

anyway, i will do different test, i will check the file you say i need to modify, and please can you teach me how to check the X11 logs what do i have to do or search exactly?, remember please that my knowledge about, is very poor. ( awaiting for yours replay, i will search on internet).

by the way, i have to say that for my hardware, network manager fit better, wicd was use to give me problems until couple of years ago, now seem to be ok, slim was always good for me, but, with lxde.  When i tried to use with xfce, was a problem,  also the monitor setting software ( do not remember the name ) on some distribution in the past gave problems.

Actually the first time i tried Devuan i was surprised and happy because everything was working perfectly, fast, and stable.

thanks again, i'll let you know soon,  ciao

#12 2019-10-30 04:31:54

ToxicExMachina

sbug wrote:

can you teach me how to check the X11 logs what do i have to do or search exactly?

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

You can share it via pastebin or similar service. I would also recommend to move existing file to another place or remove it before the next X11 startup. New log will contain only necessary information.

#13 2019-10-30 09:12:09

Andre4freedom

Right, the log files are to be found in
/var/log /var/log/Xorg.0.log and in you home-directory: ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.1.log
you can always try to do a minimal install and add all software manually (Xorg, display-manager, DE etc) - you are on your own.
It's far easier to use the Devuan-installer and tell it what to install. It then selects the required packages automatically and it will work. Select only one DE (desktop environment).
You can install more packages once the new system runs. There is a good friend: the man pages!
Setting up an X environment can be quite challenging. The X documentation alone used to occupy 1 meter of my bookshelf.

#14 2019-10-30 17:46:07

sbug

HI smile

I'm going to tell you what happened last night.
because now i know that i have to wait long time from grub to (login) display manager or live-start, about 5 to 15 min, i wait.

The live starts, and the system works correctly.
then i try to install with refracta, by desktop link or by terminal, but not installation, not even boot.

Then i try again netinst, but this time i wait, about 4to7 minutes from grub to login. and it starts.

installation was minimal only standard system utilities, not even extra driver because normally debian and devuan exactly catch what i need ( previous attemps i installed all just to be sure ).

then poweroff couple of times, and go.   from when i push power-on on my laptop and the login, about 7,8 minutes. But is already something.

The i start to install packages following the guide of Devuan : minimal xorg, and minimal xfce. ( just need to add some packs otherwise i could not write from keyboard, i think xserver-input-all ( or something like that ) ...... not DM.....

reboot, startx, and all works fine, but still 7,8 minutes from powering-pc

then i added slim and everything goes banana !!!

System works brillinat( apart some workaround, i think that needs to be fixed due to the minimal installation), very fast ( give live back to my old dual core workstation ) but from powering-pc to display manager about 15 minutes. slim or lightdm.

i really need to do this question, if we do not go too far, maybe just give me a clue, why i have this problems intalling on laptop, but on virtual-box everything works fine??    (same kind of installation,    whit any of those you have)

but i have more to say....

i tried to install couple of yours derivates, and same problem.
than i decided to remove systemd from the BackBox linux i am running and install sysvinit ( probably not really correctly not sure also in this case i followed Devuan guide for migration but i was very tired) result...  backbox works, but also in this case, time to start it is about double.

by running failsafe i can have a look ( i think ) where the process is stopping. Should i write it and post??

from my ignorance sounds like systemd or sysvinit has an inportant role in all of this.

than i have another question, maybe two:

1-what were we using ( maybe also my english falter now ) until debian jessie ? init, sysvinit ?     is it the same ? sys v init, or sys vinit?

2-when i was running Devuan jessie i was use to choose sysvinit ( because since debian jessie and systemd my laptop was going banana and cucumber.  better in the last years. but that is why i know you smile
then after selected sysvinit, system starts and all works fine fast, and stable, totally happy.
but than yesterday reading on Devuan web-page about migration from jessie to ascii, i found:

Perform the migration

Devuan uses sysvinit by default so we will install this now. If you see Package ‘sysvinit-core’ has no installation candidate then you need to run apt-get update first.

root@debian:~# apt-get install sysvinit-core

A reboot is required to switch sysvinit to pid1 so we can remove systemd.

Does this means that "maybe" when i was thinking to use sysvinit actually i was not???     at this point i really need to know this, maybe without need to do another installation... please!!???   i have already done 20 attemps of installation at least.
Also if i considered to try a migration just to say I GOT IT.

ok, thanks again for the attention, if things goes to long please moderate me, this is the firs time i subscribe to a forum, normally i workaround by consulting webpages or documentation....    and there are millions of things i would like to ask.

i will check for your advice in the next days, to try to solve this, i'm losing noun.

thanks again, soon

Last edited by sbug (2019-10-30 18:07:53)

#15 2019-10-30 19:31:49

Andre4freedom

Poor you.... you really seem completely desperate... I'm so sorry for you.

One advise: Halt - Stop - Reset - Start Again

1. Does your hardware actually work ? Is the disk ok, have you re-set the CMOS Settings to their defaults?
2. Have you created an USB Stick with the correct ISO? (DEVUAN ASCII 2.1!!)
3. the DEVUAN ASCII 2.1 release works very well
4. Now start a fresh install (Graphical) and LET THE INSTALLER create the partitions
5. Select the software you want (XFCE Desktop in your case?)
6. Let the installer do the work for you
7. At the question, select the harddisk for the GRUB installation
8. Let it finish the job.

Now, if that system doesn't work, your hardware may be just bad. Or you have altered the installation process.

As for Debian Jessie: it started as a Init-SysV distro but was migrated to systemd during it's lifetime.
Devuan uses Init SysV or OpenRC (both are better than systemd).
Don't bother to install old versions and migrate them. It's not worth it and it may be troublesome.
Do you have friends in your neighbourhood who could help you? Is there a "Linux User Group" in your area? I'm possibly too far away to help you personally.
Anyway, I wish you luck.
André

Board footer