The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-02 15:23:07

erdos

Upgrade from Devuan Jessie to Ascii causing X window issues

hi, i upgraded Debian Wheezy installed on an Sony-vaio netbook to Devuan Jessie with success.

But after running further upgrade to ascii, i encounter issues:
the upgrade itself was a success, no errors.

but after i rebooted the machine, as soon as i started x, the screen freezes, with no response from mouse or keyboard.

here's the related error info in '~/.local/share/Xorg/Xorg.0.log'

(EE)parse_vt_settings:  Cannot open /dev/tty0 (permission denied)
(EE)  xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: bad file descriptor
(EE) xf86CloseConsole:  VT_GETMODE failed:  bad file descriptor
(EE) Server terminatored with error (1). closing log file

not sure what to do next

Last edited by erdos (2019-08-02 17:03:35)

#2 2019-08-02 18:07:04

bbatten

Re: Upgrade from Devuan Jessie to Ascii causing X window issues

Hi erdos,
Are you using a display manager, or are you directly calling startx? If the latter, then FWIW, my own version of /etc/inittab does not invoke getty with tty0, just tty1 - tty7.

What is the date on "~/.local/share/Xorg/Xorg.0.log"? (Should that be ...share/xorg/...?). My own system just uses /var/log/Xorg.x.log. Possibly you're looking at stale data?

#3 2019-08-02 18:23:31

erdos

i have icewm WM installed and startx will start 'icewm', no display manager being used.

i upgraded to ascii from Debian Wheezy on this particular machine last night, in wheezy, it directly boot into 'icewm' once start the machine.  however, after upgrading to ascii, it failed to enter 'icewm' after init is done, instead displaying error message on the screen and bring me to user log in prompt, after loggin in as my username, i typed 'startx' and enter, it can launch into icewm but the screen would freeze every time.

The onscreen error message instructs me to look at '/home/erdos/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log for details so it's up-to-date log info.

i will look at my /etc/inittab file for any hints.

it seems the new 'xorg' has changed its behavior in ascii comparing with prior jessie xorg - since i know the same setup works under both Debian Wheezy and Devuan Jessie from experience.

Last edited by erdos (2019-08-02 18:27:20)

#4 2019-08-02 20:17:20

fsmithred
Administrator

You either need to install elogind or edit Xwrapper.config to allow X to run as root. See the section on startiing X from console in the release notes:
https://files.devuan.org/devuan_ascii/Release_notes.txt

#5 2019-08-02 23:04:44

erdos

fsmithred wrote:

You either need to install elogind or edit Xwrapper.config to allow X to run as root. See the section on startiing X from console in the release notes:
https://files.devuan.org/devuan_ascii/Release_notes.txt

thanks, i added line to Xwrapper.config and x windows works now.!

Board footer