The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-13 14:01:59

erdos

Long Delayed boot time on ascii

hi, my ascii installation has an unusually long boot time.

it always stuck at two places by looking at onscreen boot log:
1.  configuration network interfaces..ifup: wait for lock on /run/network/ifstate.wlan0
2.  starting MTA

I started the wifi connection by issuing the following command once loggin into icewm WM,

root@t60:/home/erdos# wpa_supplicant -B -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dwext
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
root@t60:/home/erdos# dhclient wlan0

#2 2019-07-13 17:09:49

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Long Delayed boot time on ascii

^ Those commands are correct and the OP says it works.

erdos wrote:

it always stuck at two places by looking at onscreen boot log:
1.  configuration network interfaces..ifup: wait for lock on /run/network/ifstate.wlan0
2.  starting MTA

Can we please see the content of /etc/network/interfaces and the output of ip link, thanks!

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2019-07-13 19:27:59

erdos

/etc/network/interfaces

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
#auto lo
#iface lo inet loopback
auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless-essid asd

ip link

erdos@t60:~$ ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:15:58:82:f6:94 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: irda0: <NOARP> mtu 2048 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 8
    link/irda 00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff
4: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:19:d2:c5:0a:41 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

#4 2019-07-13 20:16:41

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

erdos wrote:

/etc/network/interfaces

Try commenting out auto wlan0, if that doesn't fix things then un-comment it and comment out allow-hotplug wlan0 instead.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2019-07-13 20:17:18)

#5 2019-07-13 23:10:11

dxrobertson

I have had this issue on several installs, but with eth0.  This has been discussed here:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1688

CREDIT: ralph.ronnquist

The fix seems to be to not have /etc/network/interfaces do anything, except for lo, the file contents should be:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

This will get rid of the boot delay and allow you network manager (wicd, network-manager, whatever) to control the network connection.  If you do not use a network manager, then you probably just need to do an ifconfig wlan0 up prior to your other manual connection commands.

My problem with this was with ethernet, hopefully the resolution for your wireless is the same, as posted.

The MTA delay probably has to do with exim4 now being installed by default.  You may want a mail transport agent, I personally find it not needed on my system.  You can purge exim4 and all associates if you do not want the mail transport, this will get rid of that delay.

Last edited by dxrobertson (2019-07-14 01:20:43)

#6 2019-07-14 12:55:00

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

dxrobertson wrote:

The fix seems to be to not have /etc/network/interfaces do anything

That's not a fix, it's a workaround. NetworkManager is a bloated, buggy pile of crap and it should be possible to use ifupdown in Devuan.

The linked thread shows that allow-hotplug seemed to be causing the problem so the OP can try removing that line.

FWIW, I experience a 5 second delay with ifupdown in my Debian buster system compared to my usual custom unit file for systemd.

#7 2019-07-14 16:41:45

dxrobertson

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
dxrobertson wrote:

The fix seems to be to not have /etc/network/interfaces do anything

Go around often mis-quoting people?

The fix seems to be to not have /etc/network/interfaces do anything, except for lo

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

NetworkManager is a bloated, buggy pile of crap and it should be possible to use ifupdown in Devuan.

Good for you and your il-informed personal opinion.  NM works fine here, cant recall experiencing bugs.

If you would exercise a little civility in your responses, useless posts like this one would not be needed.

#8 2019-07-14 18:31:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

dxrobertson wrote:

Go around often mis-quoting people?

I have a habit of only quoting the relevant sections so as to keep the reply short and the lo exception is irrelevant in respect of the objection I raised.

dxrobertson wrote:

NM works fine here, cant recall experiencing bugs.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence and the OP's problem is about boot delays caused by ifupdown so switching to NM does not solve that particular problem in any way, it just conceals it.

dxrobertson wrote:

If you would exercise a little civility in your responses, useless posts like this one would not be needed.

stfu

#9 2019-07-14 20:32:53

dxrobertson

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

stfu

Southern Tenant Farmers Union?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_ … mers_Union

Probably not.  I'll post it here, you dont have to hide behind your cute little acronym.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stfu

#10 2019-07-22 17:44:23

erdos

dxrobertson wrote:

I have had this issue on several installs, but with eth0.  This has been discussed here:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1688

CREDIT: ralph.ronnquist

The fix seems to be to not have /etc/network/interfaces do anything, except for lo, the file contents should be:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

This will get rid of the boot delay and allow you network manager (wicd, network-manager, whatever) to control the network connection.  If you do not use a network manager, then you probably just need to do an ifconfig wlan0 up prior to your other manual connection commands.

My problem with this was with ethernet, hopefully the resolution for your wireless is the same, as posted.

The MTA delay probably has to do with exim4 now being installed by default.  You may want a mail transport agent, I personally find it not needed on my system.  You can purge exim4 and all associates if you do not want the mail transport, this will get rid of that delay.

After I deleted lines in /etc/network/interfaces about 'wlan0', it seems delays caused by both network interface and MTA are gone.

thanks!

#11 2019-08-21 17:25:48

Jafa

My solution was to set the primary interface to "manual" instead of "dhcp" in /etc/network/interfaces. Boots like lightning.

This allows Wicd to wrangle networking after booting ..

Last edited by Jafa (2019-08-21 17:31:47)

#12 2019-09-16 01:21:30

bgstack15

Jafa wrote:

My solution was to set the primary interface to "manual" instead of "dhcp" in /etc/network/interfaces. Boots like lightning.

This allows Wicd to wrangle networking after booting ..

I plan on trying this myself. Some of my laptops have the regular dhcp client delay upon boot, and if I can just let wicd handle it later on, that is acceptable.

This space intentionally left blank.

#13 2019-09-25 23:44:57

zephyr
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Try commenting out auto wlan0, if that doesn't fix things then un-comment it and comment out allow-hotplug wlan0 instead.

Cool and thanks! Fixed me lappie, same issue with /run/wpa_supplicant/wlan0 on boot delay! cool
Used the latter and #comment out allow-hotplug!

Info: that was with a fresh install CROWZ Ob ASCII to BEOWULF upgrade, going from wired to wifi, ran into that issue!

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2019-09-25 23:53:50)

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

Board footer