The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-01 16:53:29

kapqa

Installing Devuan ASCII Amd64 from DVD (full ISO) - no CD-ROM found

Hello ,

i just tried to install Devuan Ascii from a burned DVD.
The Installer would load up normally and i Chose "Graphical install"
however, it would Abort shortly afterwards by complaining no CD/DVD Drive driver found or similar.
Just have a newer PC with a Bluray ROM Drive, should not be an issue, or what am i missing`?

Thanks

EDIT: i used a full installer.iso image with around 4,3GB.

Last edited by kapqa (2019-07-01 16:55:05)

#2 2019-07-01 17:13:01

Dutch_Master

Re: Installing Devuan ASCII Amd64 from DVD (full ISO) - no CD-ROM found

It happens occasionally for me too (I install Devuan for my work, so I've done quite a few installs already wink ). Usually, restarting the installation process solves the issue, but sometimes another optical drive is needed. I'm still using the install media I made last year, so that shouldn't be an issue. (that is: aging disks or similar)  Most likely the source of the problem is a worn-out laser-diode in the drive, which is an age-thing too.

#3 2019-07-01 17:15:09

kapqa

Thanks ,
i tried the Netinstall AScII, also, it would load up, and after some time complain of no CD or similar.
Thats strange; the BD-ROM is quite new, and should not be the problem.
Gonna try Debian Buster now to see if there is indeed a problem with the DVD/BD Drive or more so with the installer.

#4 2019-07-01 18:53:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Did you check TTY4 for the exact error message?

Perhaps try mounting /dev/sr0 to /cdrom manually.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#5 2019-07-01 18:56:47

rolfie

Have successfully used devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_dvd-1.iso from one of the mirrors listed on https://devuan.org/get-devuan, also the CD or the netinstall version, cannot complain about the installer, it worked. There is no bug. You may also load the file directly from https://files.devuan.org/devuan_ascii/installer-iso/.

Make sure your download is fine by checking the hash.

You say you got a newer PC. I would assume that PC has an EFI bios. Make sure you boot the DVD in the same mode the bios is set up, i.e. normally if the bios is set to CSM mode, or by boot override in EFI mode.

Good luck, Rolf

#6 2019-07-02 14:58:56

kapqa

Thanks ,

also the Debian Buster failed, so i resorted to make an Usb-installer with Rufus (on Windows) or MK-USB (on Linux).

So now i am using Devuan Ascii, but i noticed some things:

1. The automatic partitionining (let Devuan choose partitioning for a m2.ssd automatically) would also change files on another NVME and the result was that Windows is no longer bootable? Could this be?
2. Updating from Devuan Ascii to Beowulf by simply changing in /etc/apt/sources.list all names "Ascii" to "Beowulf" would allow to install all packages normally with "sudo apt-get upgrade" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" but after reboot one would be greeted by a simple grub-menu.

Last edited by kapqa (2019-07-02 16:17:18)

Board footer