The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-20 04:52:32

MiyoLinux

MiyoLinux Portable

Someone recently left a very nice review for MiyoLinux on Sourceforge. I wish that I could personally thank the person; however, there's no way to respond to reviews. So if you read this tomastobyb, thank you very much! smile

In his review, he said that he would like to see a MiyoLinux with persistence. I don't know if that user will ever see this, but perhaps so...or perhaps it will help others who may be interested.

I've been using a portable version of MiyoLinux (that I installed onto a USB) for almost 2 years now. However, I recently made a new one with the release of ASCII.

One of the great things about the Refracta Installer, is that you can easily install the OS onto a USB...it's just like installing it to your hard drive, but you choose to install it onto a USB (not the one you're running live from). As with a normal system, it will save files, installed applications, etc. You can even apply updates like a normal system...I was somewhat wary of that due to the fear of degradation of the USB, but I'm a wild man who likes to live on the edge of the blade! LOLOLOL!!! tongue  I've been updating that original portable for 2 years now, and the USB is still going strong! big_smile  Instead of attempting a dist-upgrade from Jessie to ASCII on it, I decided to just make a new portable version with ASCII.

If you're familiar with the Refracta Installer, here are the basic steps that I use to make a portable version of MiyoLInux...

Needed:

a)  2 USB's (one for the live environment that you burned the .iso onto, and one to install the system onto).
b)  Enough USB slots on your computer! tongue

Depending on your intended use for it and the amount of installed applications and updates, you could probably get by with an 8 GB USB. The installed system out of the box is only a little over 2 GBs. However, I personally use a 32 GB USB for mine.

Installation:

1. Boot into the live environment.
2. Open gparted to see what the live usb is designated as; such as, sdb1. (Your designation may differ).
3. Open the file manager.
4. Insert the USB that you will be installing the system on.

When it appears in the file manager, right-click on it (in the side pane of the file manager) and choose "unmount".

5. Check gparted again to see what the new USB is designated as. Write it down if you want to make sure you choose the right partition/device to install the system onto.
6. You can go ahead and partition the USB now with gparted, or you can do it during the installation. Whether now or later, you have a couple of options...

• Partition the USB like any hard drive; such as, partitions for root, home, and swap ... or ... just root and swap. I used root and a 1 GB swap on my original portable version.

• Create one single partition for root on the entire USB, and choose a swap file during the installation (instead of making an actual swap partition). This is the method that I used on the latest one

To create a swap file during installation, just don't choose a partition when it asks you to choose one for swap. Just click OK. A message will appear telling you that a swap file will be created. wink

7. Go through the installation as normal, JUST MAKE SURE TO INSTALL THE SYSTEM ONTO THE CORRECT USB, AND INSTALL GRUB ONTO THE USB!!! I'm not yelling...just want to make sure that folks see that...

Now, when the installation is finished, and you boot into your portable version, it will be listed at the top of the Grub screen when you boot it up. It will have added any other OSs that are on your system to the portable's grub. If you'd rather only have the portable listed on the Grub screen, you can see how to quickly do that HERE.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#2 2019-04-17 18:10:02

Tobyb1906

Re: MiyoLinux Portable

Hello,
Apologies for the time it's taken to reply,  when I saw your comments as a result of my review and comment regarding persistence. I had already tried refracta tools but couldn't get it to work (I am a fairly works out of the box kinda Linux user). However, I having seen your reply on the here, I gave it another go and got it to work, though I found it no where near as responsive as say the Raspbianx86 distro based on Debian stable. Not your issue I know, down to refracta tools, my system etc but not Miyolinux specific).
My issue with Raspbianx86 is its 32bit only and I need to run darktable. It's also 2.2gb of stuff I don't need!!
I saw your recent Debian unstable version thinking if that works it's easy enough to get persistence working on Debian, but to no avail. I can't get it to boot. I gets stuck at loading my wireless LAN. (If you wish am happy to take a screen shot of it not completing the process). I run a Toshiba satellite Pro laptop C50-A-E1E2...so you can look up specific hardware if required.
Please keep up the good work am considering swapping my main distro from Mint to Miyo. And literally am trying out your new compiz variant as I speak, love it so far. Can't help wondering what you'd do to cinnamon!!!!
I'll likely update my review. Your work it brilliant, and though I see you don't want to be listed on Distrowatch it would be well deserving of a place high on the list of the establishment distros. Your work is better than most.
If you wish for more info re-. Non booting Debian version or anything just ask.

#3 2019-04-17 19:55:36

MiyoLinux

Hi Tobyb1906! Thank you so much for the kind words here and on Sourceforge; I truly appreciate it!

Regarding the Debian Testing version. That was made at the request of a user and probably a one-time build. When you say that it gets stuck at loading the wireless, are you speaking about this message during the boot process?

IPv6 ...blah...blah...blah... enp3so: link is not ready

Which is immediately followed by...

A start job is running ...blah...blah...blah... no time limit

If that is what you're referring to, just be patient, and it will eventually boot into the desktop. You may not have seen it, but I left a note on the download page to warn people to expect a +/- 5 minute delay while that start job is running. During one of my test installs on one computer, it took almost 7 minutes. yikes  But, it eventually got there. LOLOL!!!

That's just during the live session...it boots normally after installation.

Those start jobs are one of the "benefits" of systemd. LOLOLOL!!!  tongue

Thanks again!

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2019-04-17 19:59:04)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#4 2019-04-17 21:05:18

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

That appears to be caused by /lib/live/config/0040-sudo, specifically this line:

sudo -u "${LIVE_USERNAME}" sh -c "echo 'SU_TO_ROOT_SU=sudo' >> /home/${LIVE_USERNAME}/.su-to-rootrc"

I just tried unpacking your ISO, commenting the line then repacking the image and it then boots without error (in QEMU).

No idea why it causes the problem but the systemd journal helped me find it smile

For the record:

journalctl -u live-config

LOLOLOL!

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2019-04-17 21:07:05)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#5 2019-04-17 23:12:40

MiyoLinux

Thanks HoaS!

I knew part of the "blah, blah, blah" in the start job line had to do with live-config, but just to be honest, I don't know enough about systemd to even know to look at journald. wink  tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2019-04-17 23:13:05)

#6 2019-04-17 23:27:22

fsmithred
Administrator

Thanks for the live-config info. I didn't know that. That same file, .su-to-rootrc was causing me trouble with policykit. Anyone who has installed with any but the latest version of refractainstaller might want to get rid of that file if it's present.

Miyo, if you really want to live on the edge, boot to ram and install to the same usb you booted from. Then there's no confusion about which one is the target. smile

#7 2019-04-18 19:35:55

MiyoLinux

fsmithred wrote:

Miyo, if you really want to live on the edge, boot to ram and install to the same usb you booted from. Then there's no confusion about which one is the target. smile

Hey...never thought about trying that!

You mentioned that on purpose, didn't you...because you know I'm going to have to try it now. wink

#8 2019-04-19 00:42:27

fsmithred
Administrator

I very rarely post anything by accident. Yeah, let me know if it works. I've never tried it.

(I do occasionally leave stuff out.)

#9 2019-04-19 06:30:54

MiyoLinux

fsmithred wrote:

I very rarely post anything by accident. Yeah, let me know if it works. I've never tried it.

(I do occasionally leave stuff out.)

LOL! smile

Hey...it stinkin' worked! big_smile  I'm writing this from it now. wink

Background info...

Host Computer:
2006 Sony Vaio 32 bit

Basic inxi info about the host computer:
CPU~Dual core Intel T2060 (-MCP-)
speed/max~1067/1600 MHz
Mem~995.3MB

The USB used:
8GB Sandisk Cruiser USB-2.0

Installed system:
MiyoLinux (codenamed Addy) i686

Refracta Tools:
refractainstaller-base: 9.4.2
refractainstaller-gui: 9.4.2
refractasnapshot-base: 10.1.1

What I did...

1. Booted from the USB and chose the load to RAM option.
2. Left the USB inserted.
3. When it reached the desktop, I opened gparted and...

a) deleted the .iso from the USB and applied it.
b) created a Partition Table (msdos) on the USB and applied it.
c) created an ext4 file system on the entire USB and applied it.

4. During installation, I allowed the installer to create a swap file.

Worked like a charm! Thanks fsr!

ALL HAIL FSR!!! smile

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2019-04-19 06:32:42)

#10 2019-04-20 15:52:43

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

That appears to be caused by /lib/live/config/0040-sudo, specifically this line:

sudo -u "${LIVE_USERNAME}" sh -c "echo 'SU_TO_ROOT_SU=sudo' >> /home/${LIVE_USERNAME}/.su-to-rootrc"

I just tried unpacking your ISO, commenting the line then repacking the image and it then boots without error (in QEMU).

No idea why it causes the problem but the systemd journal helped me find it smile

For the record:

journalctl -u live-config

LOLOLOL!

WHEW! Okay...where to begin?

Since the release of the Miyo-Modern Debian Testing version (which I made for one individual), I was asked to make a 32 bit version of Miyo-Modern Debian Testing. Oy!

Taking HoaS's advice into account, I built the .iso twice...once without commenting out that line, and once with the line commented out.

By commenting out that line, the start job still ran in the live session; however, its time was cut in half...about 2-3 minutes before booting into the desktop...as opposed to 5-7 minutes.

To fsmithred (if this is helpful to you),
In order to get the GUI for the locale, keyboard layout, etc., I also had to add libgtk3-perl...libgtk2-perl wasn't enough for some reason.

#11 2019-04-20 17:01:20

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

By commenting out that line, the start job still ran in the live session; however, its time was cut in half...about 2-3 minutes before booting into the desktop...as opposed to 5-7 minutes.

Was the error message the same for both images?

Check the output of my journalctl command for both.

I'm a bit busy at the moment but try a rebuild again later.

#12 2019-04-20 17:33:00

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Was the error message the same for both images?

Check the output of my journalctl command for both.

I'm a bit busy at the moment but try a rebuild again later.

Hi HoaS.

Unfortunately, I can't check both. I did run your listed command in the live session, but nothing stood out to me.

I haven't uploaded the 32 bit version yet, so it's not available for observation...it may be a day or two before I upload it.

I don't consider these Debian Testing builds as official MiyoLinux releases...they were built at the request of single users, and in my attempt to help folks, I've ventured beyond my comfort zone. smile  tongue

It's probably something that I'm doing wrong. LOL!!! tongue

#13 2019-04-20 18:18:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

I did run your listed command in the live session, but nothing stood out to me

Can you post it here then?

I don't have the modified image any more (my storage space is limited) so I'll have to make another one to check at my end.

#14 2019-04-20 18:51:08

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Can you post it here then?

Ewww...I'll try. Miyo doesn't come with a browser. I'll try copying the output to a text file and transferring that to another partition.

LOLOL!!!

I think...

tongue

#15 2019-04-20 18:56:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

You could use pastebinit to generate a URL that you can post instead.

journalctl -u live-config --no-p | pastebinit

#16 2019-04-20 18:57:54

fsmithred
Administrator

nc termbin.com 9999 < some-text-file 
Then post the link.

#17 2019-04-20 19:07:31

MiyoLinux

You guys and your solutions! I'm just barely able to type stuff'n such...let alone do all that fancy-shmancy stuff! tongue

Here it is...

miyo@miyolinux:~$ su
Password: 
root@miyolinux:/home/miyo# journalctl -u live-config
-- Logs begin at Sat 2019-04-20 18:53:49 UTC, end at Sat 2019-04-20 19:00:19 UTC. --
Apr 20 18:53:50 miyolinux systemd[1]: Starting live-config contains the components that configure a live system during the boot process (late userspace)....
Apr 20 18:56:53 miyolinux sudo[451]:     root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=miyo ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/sh -c umask 0077 && mkdir -p /home/miyo/.kde/share/config && cat > /home/miyo/.kde/share/config/kdesurc
Apr 20 18:56:53 miyolinux sudo[451]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user miyo by (uid=0)
Apr 20 18:56:53 miyolinux sudo[451]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user miyo
Apr 20 18:56:57 miyolinux live-config[373]: live-config: debconf hostname user-setup sudo locales tzdata
Apr 20 18:56:57 miyolinux live-config[373]: Current default time zone: 'Etc/UTC'
Apr 20 18:56:57 miyolinux live-config[373]: Local time is now:      Sat Apr 20 18:56:57 UTC 2019.
Apr 20 18:56:57 miyolinux live-config[373]: Universal Time is now:  Sat Apr 20 18:56:57 UTC 2019.
Apr 20 18:56:58 miyolinux live-config[373]:  slim keyboard-configuration policykit util-linux login xserver-xorg xfce4-panel.
Apr 20 18:56:58 miyolinux systemd[1]: Started live-config contains the components that configure a live system during the boot process (late userspace)..
root@miyolinux:/home/miyo# 

#18 2019-04-20 19:56:32

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

OK, so different command this time hmm

I will have a poke around when I've got time and see if I can get to the bottom of this.

Which method are you using to build the images?

#19 2019-04-20 19:58:49

MiyoLinux

Let me add...

I'm very thankful for the help, and I hope my kidding around wasn't taken the wrong way.

The "Debian Testing" versions are made by request and aren't part of my normal releases. I only made them to try and help users. While the delay during the boot process isn't ideal, it isn't a deal-breaker on my end. I let that situation be known to those who have requested it. Luckily, the delay isn't a problem after installation.

Thank you HoaS...for trying to help figure this out. I most certainly appreciate your time and knowledge.

#20 2019-04-20 20:05:55

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Which method are you using to build the images?

I'm sorry, my last response showed up before I saw your last response...if that makes sense. smile  To answer your question...

1. I start with a netinstall and only install the base system.
2. After installation of the base system, I reboot and install only the packages that I want for the system that I'm creating.
3. After creating the system, I use refractasnapshot to create the .iso.

#21 2019-04-21 19:29:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I'm sorry Miyo, I think I'm going to have to admit defeat here hmm

I tried rebuilding the image again and now I can't get rid of the delay at all, $DEITY only knows how I managed it originally but it wasn't because of 0040-sudo.

For the record the rebuild was based on this function:

function mkiso {
 xorriso -as mkisofs \
 -iso-level 3 \
 -full-iso9660-filenames \
 -volid sharpbang_stretch \
 -eltorito-boot isolinux/isolinux.bin \
 -eltorito-catalog isolinux/boot.cat \
 -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
 -isohybrid-mbr isolinux/isohdpfx.bin \
 -eltorito-alt-boot \
 -e boot/grub/efi.img \
 -no-emul-boot -isohybrid-gpt-basdat \
 -output ../"$1" ./
}

But I removed the EFI-related lines and that must be what fixed things but I can't remember exactly what I removed and now I can't recreate it.

Sorry d00d.

#22 2019-04-21 20:20:32

MiyoLinux

No apology needed HoaS. I appreciate your help greatly.

While the delay during the live session certainly isn't ideal, the installed system doesn't have the delay. I think that those who asked for the builds understand the issue and are okay with it. smile

Thanks again!

Board footer