The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-20 04:52:32

MiyoLinux

MiyoLinux Portable

Someone recently left a very nice review for MiyoLinux on Sourceforge. I wish that I could personally thank the person; however, there's no way to respond to reviews. So if you read this tomastobyb, thank you very much! smile

In his review, he said that he would like to see a MiyoLinux with persistence. I don't know if that user will ever see this, but perhaps so...or perhaps it will help others who may be interested.

I've been using a portable version of MiyoLinux (that I installed onto a USB) for almost 2 years now. However, I recently made a new one with the release of ASCII.

One of the great things about the Refracta Installer, is that you can easily install the OS onto a USB...it's just like installing it to your hard drive, but you choose to install it onto a USB (not the one you're running live from). As with a normal system, it will save files, installed applications, etc. You can even apply updates like a normal system...I was somewhat wary of that due to the fear of degradation of the USB, but I'm a wild man who likes to live on the edge of the blade! LOLOLOL!!! tongue  I've been updating that original portable for 2 years now, and the USB is still going strong! big_smile  Instead of attempting a dist-upgrade from Jessie to ASCII on it, I decided to just make a new portable version with ASCII.

If you're familiar with the Refracta Installer, here are the basic steps that I use to make a portable version of MiyoLInux...

Needed:

a)  2 USB's (one for the live environment that you burned the .iso onto, and one to install the system onto).
b)  Enough USB slots on your computer! tongue

Depending on your intended use for it and the amount of installed applications and updates, you could probably get by with an 8 GB USB. The installed system out of the box is only a little over 2 GBs. However, I personally use a 32 GB USB for mine.

Installation:

1. Boot into the live environment.
2. Open gparted to see what the live usb is designated as; such as, sdb1. (Your designation may differ).
3. Open the file manager.
4. Insert the USB that you will be installing the system on.

When it appears in the file manager, right-click on it (in the side pane of the file manager) and choose "unmount".

5. Check gparted again to see what the new USB is designated as. Write it down if you want to make sure you choose the right partition/device to install the system onto.
6. You can go ahead and partition the USB now with gparted, or you can do it during the installation. Whether now or later, you have a couple of options...

• Partition the USB like any hard drive; such as, partitions for root, home, and swap ... or ... just root and swap. I used root and a 1 GB swap on my original portable version.

• Create one single partition for root on the entire USB, and choose a swap file during the installation (instead of making an actual swap partition). This is the method that I used on the latest one

To create a swap file during installation, just don't choose a partition when it asks you to choose one for swap. Just click OK. A message will appear telling you that a swap file will be created. wink

7. Go through the installation as normal, JUST MAKE SURE TO INSTALL THE SYSTEM ONTO THE CORRECT USB, AND INSTALL GRUB ONTO THE USB!!! I'm not yelling...just want to make sure that folks see that...

Now, when the installation is finished, and you boot into your portable version, it will be listed at the top of the Grub screen when you boot it up. It will have added any other OSs that are on your system to the portable's grub. If you'd rather only have the portable listed on the Grub screen, you can see how to quickly do that HERE.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Board footer