The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-18 12:14:03

HextorBRX

[Solved] non-free firmware: desktop-live/installer-iso

Hello!

I have read in the desktop-live readme file that it is possible to remove non-free firmware by running:

remove-non-free-firmware

I assume it removes only wireless non-free firmware? (I do not need any.)

If I understand correctly, these wireless non-free firmwares are included by default in the desktop-live iso and absent in the regular installer-iso? Am I correct?

Thank you.

Last edited by HextorBRX (2018-09-23 22:17:16)

#2 2018-09-18 13:29:50

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: [Solved] non-free firmware: desktop-live/installer-iso

Most of the available wireless firmware packages are installed in the desktop-live. The script to remove them is in /usr/local/bin. Here's the list of packages it removes.  Feel free to comment out any lines for packages you want to keep. I see two that are not wireless firmware, and I commented them as an example.

The installer isos have firmware in the /firmware directory, so it can be included in the installation if needed. In case you mess up and accidentally remove a firmware package you want to keep, the packages are also in /firmware in the live isos.

apt-get --purge --yes remove \
#	firmware-amd-graphics \
	firmware-atheros \
	firmware-bnx2 \
	firmware-bnx2x \
	firmware-brcm80211 \
	firmware-intelwimax \
	firmware-iwlwifi \
	firmware-libertas \
#	firmware-linux-nonfree \
	firmware-myricom \
	firmware-netxen \
	firmware-qlogic \
	firmware-realtek \
	firmware-ti-connectivity \
	firmware-zd1211

#3 2018-09-19 17:46:32

HextorBRX

There is no non-free firmware from this list in the installer-iso, although I chose the standard installation (not advanced).

Your script works just fine but commenting out the lines above did not uninstall wifi firmwares:
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 … nlive1.png
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 … nlive2.png
However, I can uninstall "firmware-amd-graphics" and "firmware-linux-nonfree" if I comment out all lines except these two.

#4 2018-09-19 19:36:57

fsmithred
Administrator

I get "503 Service Unavailable" on your links. Any commented lines in the removal script will be ignored, and those commented packages will not be removed. Everything else should be removed.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's not the exact same list of firmware, but many are the same. Here's what's in the installer isos (this is from a mounted netinstall iso). These are actually symlinks to the packages, which are under /pool.

$ ls mnt/firmware
amd64-microcode_3.20160316.3_amd64.deb                firmware-ivtv_20161130-3_all.deb
atmel-firmware_1.3-4_all.deb                          firmware-iwlwifi_20161130-3_all.deb
bluez-firmware_1.2-3_all.deb                          firmware-libertas_20161130-3_all.deb
dahdi-firmware-nonfree_2.11.1-1_all.deb               firmware-linux-free_3.4_all.deb
firmware-amd-graphics_20161130-3_all.deb              firmware-misc-nonfree_20161130-3_all.deb
firmware-atheros_20161130-3_all.deb                   firmware-myricom_20161130-3_all.deb
firmware-bnx2_20161130-3_all.deb                      firmware-netxen_20161130-3_all.deb
firmware-bnx2x_20161130-3_all.deb                     firmware-qlogic_20161130-3_all.deb
firmware-brcm80211_20161130-3_all.deb                 firmware-realtek_20161130-3_all.deb
firmware-cavium_20161130-3_all.deb                    firmware-samsung_20161130-3_all.deb
firmware-crystalhd_0.0~git20120110.fdd2f19-1_all.deb  firmware-siano_20161130-3_all.deb
firmware-intel-sound_20161130-3_all.deb               firmware-ti-connectivity_20161130-3_all.deb
firmware-intelwimax_20161130-3_all.deb                firmware-zd1211_1.5-4_all.deb
firmware-ipw2x00_20161130-3_all.deb                   hdmi2usb-fx2-firmware_0.0.0~git20151225-1_all.deb

#5 2018-09-19 21:46:51

HextorBRX

Try these new links:
https://ibb.co/jDEMbe
https://ibb.co/cjAuwe
Also, I thought about running your script to remove everything and install the firmwares I need one by one (dpkg -i) but "firmware-amd-graphics" does not appear in the /firmware directory.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's not the exact same list of firmware, but many are the same. Here's what's in the installer isos (this is from a mounted netinstall iso). These are actually symlinks to the packages, which are under /pool.

I am not sure I know how to find firmwares in my system to be honest. On my Devuan PC I installed via the classic netinst-iso, none of the firmwares below can be found with the command aptitude search name of the firmware, whereas I can find them in your ISO with the same command.

firmware-amd-graphics
    firmware-atheros
    firmware-bnx2
    firmware-bnx2x
    firmware-brcm80211
    firmware-intelwimax
    firmware-iwlwifi
    firmware-libertas
    firmware-linux-nonfree
    firmware-myricom
    firmware-netxen
    firmware-qlogic
    firmware-realtek
    firmware-ti-connectivity
    firmware-zd1211

I am asking these questions because I want to have more control over non-free firmwares. My current Devuan PC does not need any, while the laptop I am going to buy will need all of them except the wifi ones. Basically, I need two things:
1. For my old PC, I need a Devuan installation stripped of non-free firmwares.
2. For my new PC, I need a Devuan installation with all non-free firmwares, except the wifi ones.
I think your ISO makes it easier to install what I need than the regular one.

Many thanks

#6 2018-09-19 22:11:05

fsmithred
Administrator

Oh, now I see the problem. Commenting out lines like that doesn't work in bash. It does work in zsh (I do that in the config file in live-sdk.) I guess you'd need to remove those two lines entirely.

Non-free firmware is in the installer isos, but you won't find those packages in the installed system. They don't get copied (neither does the rest of what's under /pool.) If your hardware requires a firmware package, it will get automatically installed in the regular install, and if you choose expert install and use a mirror, you will be asked about non-free firmware.

'aptitude search <some-nonfree-firmware-package>' should give you results only if you have non-free repos enabled in sources.list. It works in the live iso because those packages are installed. (I think that's what's going on here.)

You're right - I did not include the firmware-amd-graphics package in the /firmware directory, but it is installed. I only included the wireless firmware using the logic that you would only need that to get a connection, then you could get anything else. Also, that /firmware directory is in the root of the live filesystem, not in the root of the iso like it is in the installer isos.

dpkg -l | grep firmware will list all installed packages with 'firmware' in the name.
aptitude search ~ifirmware will do the same.
locate firmware will list all files on the system with 'firmware' in the name. (assuming you have a locate package installed and updatedb has run at least once since the system was installed.)
find / -name "firmware*" will find all files that start with 'firmware'. (you'll need to be root for this one.)

#7 2018-09-19 23:17:21

HextorBRX

Thank you for this quality answer! 

If your hardware requires a firmware package, it will get automatically installed in the regular install

Do you mean a firmware will not get installed if my hardware does not require it?

and if you choose expert install and use a mirror, you will be asked about non-free firmware.

Yes, but I find it much easier to handle non-free firmwares from the desktop live iso. Plus, the installation process is much quicker.

Edit: I have done it in /etc/apt/sources.list though:

Oh, now I see the problem. Commenting out lines like that doesn't work in bash. It does work in zsh (I do that in the config file in live-sdk.) I guess you'd need to remove those two lines entirely.

Last edited by HextorBRX (2018-09-19 23:21:35)

#8 2018-09-20 01:47:48

fsmithred
Administrator

bash ignores lines that start with # but in this it causes the command on the line before it to be terminated instead of continued to the next line.

Do you mean a firmware will not get installed if my hardware does not require it?

Correct

#9 2018-09-20 15:25:19

HextorBRX

I wanted to remove all WiFi firmwares. Thank you, there are no errors now:
https://ibb.co/iDW6Be
https://ibb.co/bximBe

I noticed the package "apt-listchanges" is installed by default. Is it purely informative or am I supposed to tweak some packages every now and then as mentionned on the screenshot? Here is the output after sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade:
https://ibb.co/i2ebBe

#10 2018-09-20 16:01:37

fsmithred
Administrator

apt-listchanges is informative. In my experience, it's not very useful in the stable distribution, but can be very helpful when you're running the testing version. I don't recall why I included it. Maybe it's there from when ascii was still in testing.

#11 2018-09-22 09:34:04

HextorBRX

I did some digging via https://pkginfo.devuan.org/ and my search engine and I sorted the firmwares by category: WiFi/non-WiFi.

Basically, everything that has "wireless" in the description serves only this purpose, except firmware-intelwimax. I did not find much information about this one so I put it in the non-WiFi category, even though it has something to do with USB and WiFi (WiFi dongles maybe). Does anyone know what it is for?

firmware-atheros
Binary firmware for Atheros wireless cards
firmware-brcm80211
Binary firmware for Broadcom 802.11 wireless cards
firmware-iwlwifi
Binary firmware for Intel Wireless cards
firmware-libertas
Binary firmware for Marvell wireless cards
firmware-zd1211
binary firmware for the zd1211rw wireless driver

firmware-amd-graphics
Binary firmware for AMD/ATI graphics chips
firmware-bnx2
Binary firmware for Broadcom NetXtremeII
firmware-bnx2x
Binary firmware for Broadcom NetXtreme II 10Gb
firmware-intelwimax
Binary firmware for Intel WiMAX Connection
firmware-linux-nonfree
Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel (meta-package)
firmware-myricom
Binary firmware for Myri-10G Ethernet adapters
firmware-netxen
Binary firmware for QLogic Intelligent Ethernet (3000 and 3100 Series)
firmware-qlogic
Binary firmware for QLogic HBAs
firmware-realtek
Binary firmware for Realtek wired/wifi/BT adapters
firmware-ti-connectivity
Binary firmware for TI Connectivity wifi and BT/FM/GPS adapters

#12 2018-09-22 12:31:20

fsmithred
Administrator

Thanks. Any help sorting this out is appreciated. I would include firmware-realtek firmware-ti-connectivity with the wireless firmware. (My laptop uses the former.) Also, in beowulf, firmware-ralink is back. It was included in firmware-realtek for stretch/ascii.

I think the intelwimax is for some older wireless cards. Looks like intel no longer supports it -
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en … -5150.html

#13 2018-09-22 13:30:06

HextorBRX

The first five firmwares I selected are wireless only. Yes, firmware-realtek and firmware-ti-connectivity are wireless but they don't serve this sole purpose. That's why I put them in the non-WiFi category. It is just a matter of perspective smile

True, firmware-intelwimax is wireless only:

WiMAX provides Internet access in more places than current Wi-Fi hotspots and serves mobile users with a broader range of wireless coverage. High-speed connections provide access to rich content, complex media, and gaming experiences. WiMAX enables broadband connectivity on the go

Please read the full description in the review below.

WiMax 5150 is discontinued but there are more recent versions that are still up-to-date. The last one was reviewed in August 2018 by Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en … rking.html

The ascii version of WiMax is the 6050 (v.1.5) one. It is more recent than 5150.
https://pkginfo.devuan.org/stage/ascii/ … 130-3.html
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firmware-intelwimax

Moreover, I found  another one even more recent in the backports:
https://pkginfo.devuan.org/stage/ascii/ … po9+1.html
https://packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-intelwimax

#14 2018-09-23 10:40:31

fsmithred
Administrator

The first five firmwares I selected are wireless only. Yes, firmware-realtek and firmware-ti-connectivity are wireless but they don't serve this sole purpose. That's why I put them in the non-WiFi category. It is just a matter of perspective smile

Yup. My concern is whether someone will need it to get online or not, wired or wireless.

I did remember to include wireless firmware from backports in the live-iso I made with the backports kernel. smile  Only a few of them are there.

#15 2018-09-23 22:10:50

HextorBRX

Feel free to send me other firmwares to look up if it saves you time. Here is your list, so that you only have to copy and paste it:

Ethernet
firmware-bnx2
Binary firmware for Broadcom NetXtremeII
firmware-bnx2x
Binary firmware for Broadcom NetXtreme II 10Gb
firmware-myricom
Binary firmware for Myri-10G Ethernet adapters
firmware-netxen
Binary firmware for QLogic Intelligent Ethernet (3000 and 3100 Series)

WiFi
firmware-atheros
Binary firmware for Atheros wireless cards
firmware-brcm80211
Binary firmware for Broadcom 802.11 wireless cards
firmware-intelwimax
Binary firmware for Intel WiMAX Connection
firmware-iwlwifi
Binary firmware for Intel Wireless cards
firmware-libertas
Binary firmware for Marvell wireless cards 
firmware-ti-connectivity
Binary firmware for TI Connectivity wifi and BT/FM/GPS adapters
firmware-zd1211
binary firmware for the zd1211rw wireless driver

Ethernet&WiFi
firmware-realtek
Binary firmware for Realtek wired/wifi/BT adapters

Miscellaneous
firmware-amd-graphics
Binary firmware for AMD/ATI graphics chips
firmware-linux-nonfree
Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel (meta-package)
firmware-qlogic (connecting servers and storage)
Binary firmware for QLogic HBAs

Board footer