The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-30 22:06:47

EpicCrackhead

What are the necessary packages for audio to work correctly?

Hi, i'm installing a minimal devuan ascii install and i got everything to work except for audio
sudo apt-get pulseaudio (and the other packages that came with it) just didn't cut it, can't hear anything, am i missing some packages?

#2 2018-08-31 00:47:59

dxrobertson

Re: What are the necessary packages for audio to work correctly?

I have 1 PC that is troublesome in that the headphones and speakers are inverted; no sound unless I plug in headphones.  A long shot but plug in headphone and try sound.

Next I would try opening a terminal and use (enter) "alsamixer".  If pulseaudio is installed, hit F6 to select a sound card; down arrow off of "default" and select the "real" sound card.  Then play around with the volume levels.  right/left arrow to select, up/down arrow to adjust.  MM means mute, hit key "M" unmute.

A good test website for audio (atleast from the browser perspective) is http://hpr.dogphilosophy.net/test/.

What to install? My installs are minimal, but installation with non-free didnt have any sound problems; so not sure what you need as far as packages.  I have noticed that various media applications require a varied install of different codec packages.

Last edited by dxrobertson (2018-08-31 01:05:43)

#3 2018-08-31 13:25:17

catprints

I find that removing pulseaudio usually fixes my sound issues. Just my experience. If you need it-different story.

"The obstacle is the path."

#4 2018-09-01 11:47:07

EpicCrackhead

Yeah i fixed it, just reinstalled the distro with XFCE, did apt-get cache search alsa, then apt-get cache search pulse, then copied all the package names ad installed them in my minimal install, AND IT WORKED, HAH.

#5 2018-09-01 23:30:33

ivanovnegro

A default Devuan install usually gives you all you need nowadays. 
Of course if you make a very minimal install you always could forget some important package.

#6 2018-09-04 16:35:36

Ogis1975
Website

No need any pulse audio. Just install

alsa-utils

alsamixergui

and

libalsaplayer0

If you have multiple sound cards, just create

.asoundrc 

file with content

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card Headset
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card Headset
}

Where "Headset" is my default sound card. And here you go. Now you have a working sound. Good luck.

Last edited by Ogis1975 (2018-09-04 16:36:02)

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

Board footer