The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-19 20:45:16

Altoid

Problem with chimaera amd64 netinstall.iso

Hello:

I am having a strange problem with the *.iso file in the subject.
When installing the base system, the installer finds that the file libsemanage-common_3.1-1_all.deb is corrupted.

The strange thing is that:

- all three downloaded *.iso files passed the SHA256 test.
- before proceeding to install, I had the installer check the installation media and there was no issue.
- two different SD cards were used as installation media and passed previous tests using the F3 utility.
- the destination USB drive also passed all tests using the F3 utility.

I could suspect the SD card to USB adaptor but it was used to run the successful F3 tests and it is always the same *.deb which is coming up as corrupted.

Nevertheless, I will try with a USB flash drive to see what happens.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate any comments as to what may be going on.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

A.

#2 2023-11-20 17:45:13

nahkhiirmees

Re: Problem with chimaera amd64 netinstall.iso

I had few installation attempts with sd cards. There were some problems. After that i have preferred optical discs as installation media.

Last weekend i tried chimaera netinstall on virtual machine. There were some problems also. I could install into a vm allright. But couldn't install any packages with apt. Not yet sure why. The usual suspects:
a) mis-configured apt
b) virtualbox problems i've been having lately
c) temporary network problems
d) something completely different.

#3 2023-11-22 11:50:11

Altoid

Hello:

Altoid wrote:

... will try with a USB flash drive ...

tl,dr
I was able to trace the issue to a power supply problem.
ie: I overestimated the power supplied by the lead to the now archived OEM DVD writer.
As a result, the installer checking the integrity of a large file made for a sustained peak that was not met by that lead.

That is why it repeatedly failed at the same place.
Once I removed the hardware causing this, that problem went away.

But another problem remains.

The process of copying from the USB installer media and writing to the destination USB drive seems to cause the same problem as it gets stuck at 32% when installing the base files which means I need to relocate the extra hardware feeding from the DVD power plug.

Best,

A.

#4 2023-11-22 12:48:25

aluma

I had a problem with writing a large file to a flash drive caused by a lack of memory.

/tmp was loaded into memory and there was simply not enough buffer space, the recording froze.
Then this was solved by removing /tmp from /etc/fstab.

But this was with the old kernel, later this error did not appear, apparently the new kernel allocates memory more correctly.

P.S. I'll add.
Then the error appeared when the size of the recorded file exceeded the size of the installed memory. Smaller files were recorded without troubleshooting.

Last edited by aluma (2023-11-22 12:56:53)

Board footer