The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-30 13:30:23

fchk

Devuan 5 Live ISOs: Can't install on UEFI system.

Hello world;

I'm trying to install Devuan 5 on an Supermicro UEFI only system using the minimal live iso and the desktop live iso.

When installing grub Refractainstaller fails on both iso's with the error message "Error detected:1. See /var/log/refractainstaller.log for details."
The log says: grub-install: error: cannot open `/boot/efi/EFI/debian/shimx64.efi': No such file or directory.

This error message is correct. When doing ls /boot there is no efi subdirectory.

fchk

#2 2023-08-30 14:39:40

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Devuan 5 Live ISOs: Can't install on UEFI system.

I think you need to install shim-unsigned before running the installer. There's also a shim-signed package that I assume goes with the grub*signed packages. You might need to install the necessary signed packages or possibly turn off secure boot.

#3 2023-08-30 15:17:08

fchk

Secure boot is already turned off.

#4 2023-08-30 16:16:31

fsmithred
Administrator

OK, I checked the iso to be sure and both shim-signed and shim-unsigned are installed.

Try editing /etc/refractainstaller.conf to uncomment the line that says media_opt="--force-extra-removable"

Another possibility, either before or after trying the above, is to install grub manually (in chroot) when you get to that part of the installer. Make sure that the efi partition is mounted at /boot/efi when installing the bootloader.

#5 2023-08-31 07:12:00

czeekaj

when you partition your disk make sure to make a gpt partition table.
partition your first partition as ef02 (Fat32) efi format. Doesn't have to be too large.
Then format rest of the system as you like.

If you do a mdos partition table you must leave a small >1mb partition that is not formatted or tagged as grub_bios to get the efi boot partition to work. om MSDOS partition table.
Refer to the refractainstaller instructions for more details.

check fstab and make sure it mounts your boot partition properly if not done automatically. Sounds like you didn't have a efi partition formatted and the installer proceeded without it.

Last edited by czeekaj (2023-08-31 07:14:38)

Board footer